Looking for the previous owner

Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Virginia
03GT

Looking for the previous owner

Post by 03GT »

Hi yall, just joined the forum, just bought an '03 Satellite GT with 35K miles on it at an auction in PA, it was a dealer trade-in, want to know if anybody knows the first owner. I just want to know if they had any problems, etc.
03 Satellite GTStock.
joatmon

Re: Looking for the previous owner (03GT)

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe, good to have another marylander around.Not sure who the previous owner was, or if they were a member here or not. Over 100K vibes sold so far, less than 2K members, so the odds are that they didn't sign up. One long shot might be to look through http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=824. the last 5 digits of the VIN number are the production number, maybe you can find a match between yours and one that someone posted.Is there anything that makes you think the previous owner had a problem, or just curious? You can check carfax to see if it's ever been in a wreck, or how many previous owners there were. If you already have 35K miles on it, you inherit the factory warranty, but will only have that for another 1000 miles. If anything's wrong, then you'll want to get it repaired right away. check out http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6503 and http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5216.
03GT

Re: Looking for the previous owner (joatmon)

Post by 03GT »

I was just curious, car is fine, actually just went over 36K, so it does not matter any more, but I used to be a mechanic, and I looked it over pretty good, it's fine. The only suspicion is, whoever owned the car before did not use premium gas, plugs seem to be worn and too dirty for a toyota engine, my wife's corrola's plugs looked brand new at 60K. Are there any vibe meets around MD/DC?
03 Satellite GTStock.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

That's odd about the plugs, haven't really seen anyone mention worn plugs yet, although some people have replaced them looking for an extra edge. The majority of members have less miles than yours though, not sure how often people check them. Now I'm curious. I have a base vibe, but will try to check mine this weekend to see how they are holding up.There haven't been many mid-atlantic genvibe meets, and nothing like the size of the michigan megameet, I don't know of any that are planned. The mid atlantic matrix crowd is better at getting folks together that genvibe is, there's usually something going on over in http://www.matrixowners.com/mo...&f=11 but I haven't made any of their things yet.
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Sorry to hear about the dirty plugs, but welcome to the site. The GT comes standard with iridium tipped plugs that are needed to provide an accurate enough spark for this high compression and high revving engine. At last check, it costs over $100 for a set of the 4 plugs alone. Try entering a search on this site if you would like more information on it.As for info on your car's history, carfax would be the best way to go. If you got the car at an auction, it could have come from anywhere in this region. Not very likely that you will find the previous owner on here.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
ebslopp

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by 03GT »actually just went over 36K, How the heck to put 36K on a car in a year!?!? Must have been a commuter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I know you're looking for instant gratification, but I do have a meet in the works for the Jersey shore for next summer...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
kostby

Post by kostby »

Please post your VIN!I test drove a Satellite Vibe GT ending in 401937 (1,937th built) in Indiana in January with about 33k on it and I know that the dealer eventually sold it at auction.If it happens to be 'your' car, I have some additional history, because I ran a VIN search on the car. AutoCheck, CarFax and the like won't tell you the original owner's name and address, but they'll indicate where it was first titled, if it was a lease or rental car, if it's been totalled or reported stolen, etc.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
JustinVGT

Re: Looking for the previous owner (ebslopp)

Post by JustinVGT »

I have almost 30k miles on my 2003, but I bought mine over two years ago, so it's about average mileage. The first owner of his could have also bought it when it first came out in early 2002.Later,
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
joatmon

Re: Looking for the previous owner

Post by joatmon »

Check out http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=10031Quote, originally posted by kostby »Please post your VIN!could be good or bad, I suppose there are some privacy issues, depending on how a person feels about such things. Some GM employees and probably a number of other people/organizations can correlate your identity to your VIN, and is probably not any real risk, but in today's society, I opt for caution and recommend not publishing the VIn, or even the last 5 digits. That's just me though.Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »I know you're looking for instant gratification, but I do have a meet in the works for the Jersey shore for next summer...thanks, but it seems like we should be able to pull something off locally too.
ShotInTheDark

Re: Looking for the previous owner (joatmon)

Post by ShotInTheDark »

we could try and pull off something down here at the beach. I have a lot of connections.
03GT

Re: Looking for the previous owner (ShotInTheDark)

Post by 03GT »

Thank you all for the concern, but everything seems to be ok after three weeks and almost a thousand miles. My question is the gas milelage. How many miles do GT owners get out of a full tank of mixed driving (city and highway). and what is the recomended gap on these plugs.
03 Satellite GTStock.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

there is a huge range of gas mileage on the GTs, has a lot to do with driving habits. Therre are other factors too, some people who drive pretty tame can still get lousy gas mileage for some reason yet to be determinedThe 2003 Vibe service manual (pages 6-396 and 6-738) gives the spark plug gap specification as GT (2ZZ) 1.0 - 1.3 mm / 0.040 - 0.051 inBase (1ZZ) 1.0 - 1.2 mm / 0.040 - 0.043 inAlso lists Spark Plug type asGT SK20R11 DENSObase SR16R11 DENSO
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by 03GT »My question is the gas milelage. How many miles do GT owners get out of a full tank of mixed driving (city and highway).I usually get about 240 miles out of between 9 and 10 gallons with mixed driving.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
stkos79

Post by stkos79 »

i can gm vis itit will tell you where deliveredand warrenty work done last 8 of the vin willwork