Asseteque Island

Maryland, Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Virginia
RIT

Asseteque Island

Post by RIT »

Anybody been there ? What is it like, and what is there to do there? How is the beach camping?THX
Baltovibe

Re: Asseteque Island (RIT)

Post by Baltovibe »

Do you mean Assateague Island, south of Ocean City Maryland, and is in both Maryland and Virginia on the east coast?http://www.ocean-city.com/nearby/assateague.html
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
RIT

Re: Assateaque Island (Baltovibe)

Post by RIT »

Yeah- pardon my mis-spelling. being from Baltimore, you should be able to give me some scoop. How are the National Park's beach-side camping sites? And how is the swimming? And what else is there to do? How is the NASA place?
fmwright

Re: Asseteque Island (RIT)

Post by fmwright »

The last time I was there was 20 yrs ago. Very primitive camping, and we almost were trampled by the ponies. But it was a good time.
'06 Salsa RedSun & Sound 1 CDSirius 'Gotta have my Howard'
prathman

Re: Asseteque Island (fmwright)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by fmwright »The last time I was there was 20 yrs ago. Very primitive camping, and we almost were trampled by the ponies. But it was a good time.Same for me. The campground was pretty nice and right near the beach, but it was very windy at the time of our visit. We saw a few tents being blown away and we added a few more stakes to hold ours. There were some trails through the wetlands and one could also take a canoe/kayak through the more sheltered marsh areas. We saw a large group of dolphins frolicking just off the beach and of course the ponies were everywhere.Have a good trip!
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

We used to visit all the time...the camping is fine if the winds are down, otherwise it's dusty and you smell the ponies (not good). On the plus side, if you hike up the beach about a mile, you can strip off your swimsuit with everyone else and get a great tan.
Baltovibe

Re: Assateague Island (RIT)

Post by Baltovibe »

I used to camp there every summer. There are 2 sections ... one owned by the Federal Gov't, and one owned by Maryland State.The US Gov't side (Assateague Island National Seashore) is fairly primitive camping, with only chemical toilets, cold water showers and drinking water.The state side (Assateague State Park) also offers camping, and has more features, such as a fire ring and picnic table at each campsite and offers a camp store, dumping station, and food & beverages.I enjoy camping on the state side more, because of the conveniences, but it tends to be more crowded and less private.The best part of the camping was bringing a 4X4 and riding the beaches. You can ride over 12 miles of beaches on the Maryland side (not allowed in Virginia), and catch sight of all those "nude" sunbathers! However, they recently increased the permit fees for using the beach with a motorized vehicle, and it became too expensive unless you actually lived near there and could use it more often than just a few days visit.And, Ocean City is nearby, which is always a treat!http://www.nps.gov/asishttp://www.dnr.s ... ub....html
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?