Power Shifting?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
mrsamwong

Power Shifting?

Post by mrsamwong »

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong about what power shifting is? I'm not sure, but I think it's when you have a wide open throttle the entire time while shifting through the gears. Has anyone out there tried this before with their vibe? I'm a little scared to try it.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: Power Shifting? (mrsamwong)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I would be worried about cooking the clutch.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
mrsamwong

Post by mrsamwong »

Yeah, you're prolly right. But is it much worse than popping the clutch on a launch?
Mr. Poopypants

Re: (mrsamwong)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I would think it would be worse. You would be burning the clutch at the beginning and end of every shift.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
BlackVGT

Re: (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by BlackVGT »

I Used to do it in my 92 GTP, but it had a centerforce clutch and I used to race cars, so I can shift VERY VERY fast. Still thought I was killing my car, only did it when racing. Wouldn't dare doing it in the Vibe, especially with the stock clutch and sloppy shifter.
Injen Intake, Magnaflow Catback & High-Flow Cat, TRD Spoiler, PIAA 510 Kit, Black TYC's, Falken Torque5 Wheels, 225/40/18 Falken ZE512's, Red Painted Calipers, Spiffy Window Tint, Grafxwerks Engine Cover and Door Lock Overlays. SS Shifter Bushings.Coming Soon: Tein SS's, C-One Pillowball Mounts, Progress RSB, TRD STB, TWM Short Shifter/Knob, Celica Pedals, JDM Headlights, 4300K HID's
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

seems like if you held the throttle full open, you'd have to shift before redline, otherwise even a very quick shift would let you hit the rev limiter.
futseal04

Re: (BlackVGT)

Post by futseal04 »

I used to powershift my Cobra all the time. Keeps revs up in the powerband (especially useful for you 2zz types).Try it. The worst thing that can happen is you get that stinky smell you get when you take off. And those turbo types wont have the boost fall off as much. Just make sure that if you do it, to let off of the pedal all at once, not to slip it like you do when you take off, otherwise it won't clamp down and will continue to slip.
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
MadBill

Re: Power Shifting? (joatmon)

Post by MadBill »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »seems like if you held the throttle full open, you'd have to shift before redline, otherwise even a very quick shift would let you hit the rev limiter. Actually, if you shifted at or very near the first hiccup of the rev limiter, it would be easier on the clutch, as the revs wouldn't go any higher during the shift...
RTrac1

Post by RTrac1 »

Its obviously not good to do often, but I do it at the track to lands the 1-2 shift in lift on my XRS. its the quickest way down the 1/4 mile. and yes it slips the clutch, which is bad.
http://www.leded.com'03 Matrix XRS15.337 @ 91.991:11s laptimes at limerock