Double clutching?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
drummerdude

Double clutching?

Post by drummerdude »

Ok, this is probably going to be a stupid question, however I've wondered exactly what it is and I've never been able to figure it out. What is double clutching? Like the quote from fast and furious in reference to the cop's driving skills... "You're not double clutching like you should be." Anyone know? I've heard several other references to it as well!
2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT which is for sale if anyone is interested...
drunkenmaxx

Re: Double clutching? (drummerdude)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

granny shifting instead of double clutching like you should!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Mavrik

Re: Double clutching? (drummerdude)

Post by Mavrik »

Hey I always wondered that to... but I figured it was just all car bs since hector was looking for certain parts for his SPOON engines that would NEVER fit a SPOON engine.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ebslopp

Re: Double clutching? (Mavrik)

Post by ebslopp »

double clutching is when you push the clutch in, shift to neutral, let the clutch out, push the clutch in, shift, let the clutch out. I can't remember exactly what the benefit is, but I think it lets the clutch plates match rpms before engaging in the next gear. I used to have to double clutch when I operated the tractors at the golf course I worked at in high school, but I wasn't racing those.EDIT: After a little research, I found this website http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

what the hell is a spoon engine and which/why parts wouldn't fit them?just curious.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Mavrik

Re: Double clutching? (ebslopp)

Post by Mavrik »

That makes sense in a way, just don't do that when driving for your license with an instructor, they will dock you points for being in neutral as not being in control of your vehicle... cause if you had to put your foot down and go... well your in neutral.But that probably would only be if you shifted to neutral and used the brake to slow down.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

the only time i double clutch is if i'm slowing down. i'll shift to neutral and brake usually and then down shift. so not sure if you would consider that double clutching or not. and sometimes, when i'm trying to shift quickly or when it's cold, i put it in neutral before i find the next gear.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Fialchar

Re: Double clutching? (trdvibe)

Post by Fialchar »

Double-clutching is using the clutch/neutral to rev the engine as soon as you shift up to get the RPM's up when you enter a new gear.You can also air-clutch in an a/t, but it's pretty hard to do, and risky with reverse being right next to neutral, so I wouldn't do that Spoon engines are a type of J-Spec engine that can be used in several types of cars. A friend of mine (That's always full of hot air and b.s.) is always telling everyone he's gonna use a spoon engine in a geo metro (Lol)
drunkenmaxx

Re: Double clutching? (Fialchar)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Fialchar »You can also air-clutch in an a/t, but it's pretty hard to do, and risky with reverse being right next to neutral, so I wouldn't do that actually, shifting into reverse on accident while going forward doesn't do anything! (i accidently did it once.)
Fialchar

Re: Double clutching? (drunkenvibe)

Post by Fialchar »

I accidentily pushed it in reverse once but I thought I switched back before it could catch. Maybe it was because it doesn't do anything, but I'm still not gonna go out and try it. It just wouldn't make sense to my poor battered brain
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Fialchar »I accidentily pushed it in reverse once but I thought I switched back before it could catch. Maybe it was because it doesn't do anything, but I'm still not gonna go out and try it. It just wouldn't make sense to my poor battered brain of course, noone should try it, but the trans. is electronic. it's just like how it shifts for you if you are doing the 1,2...and forget to shift
03VibeGT6Spd

Post by 03VibeGT6Spd »

ebslopp is 100% correct!Double clutching was invent by some morron setting behind a desk in Washington!The idea was to help uneducated people shift gears in semi's.Semi's dont have the same type of transmissions as cars & pickups, they have to match engine rpm's, road speed & gear.Say your driving a 9 speed,There is a 400 rpm difference between gears!So to upshift, you have to get your rpms up push in the clutch pull it out of gear and wait about 4 seconds for the rpms to drop the 400 rpms beforel you shift in the next gear.when down shifting you pull it out of gear and wait for vehicle speed to slow down or rev the engine up 400rpm's to down shift in to the next lower gear.So to help out all of us uneducated brain dead monkeys, Some morron decide double clutching was a great way to help with the timing of shifting.I taught many new truck drivers how to do that when I was a Driver Trainer for Burlington Motor Carriers. But I also taught alot of them, what a waste of time and energy it was.So I also taught them how to float there gears and just depressing the clutch once. But I did make them learn double clutching only because it was part of there final exam, before they were release on the road with there truck.true double clutching in a car is a total waste of time and acceration.If your trying to raise the rpms in your car to slam the gear just push in the clutch floor it and dump the clutch.I hope that helps to answer your questionMyself I always float my gears the only time I use the clutch in when taking off or racing.
MadBill

Re: (03VibeGT6Spd)

Post by MadBill »

While the description of double clutching on that site is correct, the reality is that racers using production type (synchronizer-equipped) transmissions don't do it; it just takes too long. Modern synchros are very good at their job and as 03 says, what they do during a downshift is just 'blip' the throttle to bring the engine speed up to match the clutch and input shaft speed of the lower gear, so that when the clutch is engaged the vehicle doesn't lurch or chirp the tires trying to suddenly spin the engine faster. (and yes, much of the time they don't use the clutch at all on a downshift or upshift)
philndz

Post by philndz »

I double clutch my downshifts....its something i do naturally w/o thinking about it....and it saves wear on the tranny so i dont mind that i do it. It does make for a very smooth ride so your passengers will appreciate it...no jerking as the gear gets placed b/c you have already matched the engine speed to the gear you are selecting. It makes for very smooth transitions when the car is already balancing upon entry to a corner (at the racetrack) Shifting w/o the double clutch would throw the balance off and you'd never get through the twisties as fast. No need for double clutching to accelerate....not exactly sure how thats done anyhow. I know a lot of old race cars had barebones gearboxes and needed to be double clutched in order to change gear at all.It's a racing thing....you don't need to know how to do it if your just out to get the groceries.-Phil
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
joatmon

Re: Double clutching?

Post by joatmon »

I had a 66 Falcon with 3 speed, unsynchronized first, which meant that you had to double clutch or come to a complete stop to shift into first. I don't miss that car.
Devlop

Re: Double clutching? (joatmon)

Post by Devlop »

Its not really needed with our cars because of syncros. They do all the work with matching the rpms. That's why I got pissed when they talked about it f&f cuz its not needed.
futseal04

Re: Double clutching? (Devlop)

Post by futseal04 »

who needs double clutching........just powershift.For those who dont know what that is, it is shifting a manual without letting off of the gas. Used to do that in my Cobra and scratch 3rd (80 MPH), and got a 4th once (115).
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
Merzbow

Re: Double clutching? (futseal04)

Post by Merzbow »

Dude I allways double clutch with my automatic! It's so easy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
Smokin' Rubber

Re: Double clutching? (Merzbow)

Post by Smokin' Rubber »

Yeah well I think that description of "modern" double clutching is a little deceptive personally seeing as how the same thing can be achieved by depressing the clutch when down shifting and reving to the proper RPM's before engaging the clutch again. WTH is the point of shifting to neutral when depressing the clutch does the same thing in a car with synchonizers. And yeah I agree power shifting is fun for chirping in between shifts
Fialchar

Re: Double clutching? (Smokin' Rubber)

Post by Fialchar »

I think the neutral part is for people with an A/T tranny and no clutch.My $0.02
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

OK, to clarify, double clutching is: clutch, neutral, let go of clutch, rev, clutch, shift. I have to do this when I drive our restored 1950 Ford F5 firetruck at the department. It is not a necessity with new cars, it was however in older cars and some newer semis.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.