Okay What's the best way to launch?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
Celtic_Curse

Okay What's the best way to launch?

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Okay whats the best way to launch from everyones experience? Rev to 5000 and drop the clutch or mild start to hard throttle? Just want to know what the concensus is.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
AKLGT

Re: Okay What's the best way to launch? (Celtic_Curse)

Post by AKLGT »

here's a thread from a long time ago. maybe have some suggestions on launching.... http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5186
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
robdog

Post by robdog »

Of course that would work , no matter what you are going to be hard on the clutch with a hard launch like that....
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Okay What's the best way to launch? (robdog)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i usually like to have a sandwich or something light for lunch...oh, wait, nevermind
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
celica girl

Post by celica girl »

I rev the engine to about 3500-4000 then when I slip the clutch until it catches and then I dump it. It has always worked well for me and I have gotten some pretty decent times...
scherry2

Re: Okay What's the best way to launch? (drunkenvibe)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »i usually like to have a sandwich or something light for lunch...oh, wait, nevermind >
Celtic_Curse

Re: Okay What's the best way to launch? (scherry2)

Post by Celtic_Curse »

okay so wheel spin is bad? Right? Do you lose lots of time with the wheel spin? I guess the best way to find out is at the track this summer. Anyways thanks for the advice and trd thanks for the link.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

wheel spin is definitely bad. if your wheels are spinning, you're not going forward as much as you should be!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
B18B

Re: Okay What's the best way to launch? (drunkenvibe)

Post by B18B »

Some wheelspin, particularly in a high revving, torque defficient motor, will be necessary to keep the engine from bogging down once the clutch is fully released. You really have to balance the amount of wheelspin vs keeping the engine in its powerband in order to get a good launch...
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

You will have to figure it out I suppose. Just remember the harder you are on the clutch the faster it will wear out. I have seen guys in Subi AWD's mash the gas hitting the rev limiter and then dumpuing the clutch. Hey great to get a launch and a jump but bad for longevity and Subi can tell if it comes in who beat on it and who has not. I say rev up a little then engage the clutch, finally flooring it.