Who has smoked there tires

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
sharky

Who has smoked there tires

Post by sharky »

I think i have spun my tires atleast three times now.1. i was suprised i left 2 nice dark lines...must have been the road (older pavement)2. i really smoked the drives side tire, on new pavement 3. was just a good quality spin
Top Speed 130mph
NovaResource

Re: Who has smoked there tires (sharky)

Post by NovaResource »

I can spin mine. Not long smoky burnouts but it'll spin them on a good launch. BTW, this is a base Vibe with an auto not a GT/manual.
LadyHwk750

Post by LadyHwk750 »

Happens all the time when I leave the clutch out a bit too fast. And it doesn't happen just on turns either. I've broken them loose in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd more than once and not always by accident. I love my GT!
[Modified by LadyHwk750, 8:52 PM 8/31/2002]
sharky

Re: Who has smoked there tires (LadyHwk750)

Post by sharky »

damn 3rd....you just gave me something to try..i can spin them going into 2nd but not third... maybe a little octane boost will help i also didnt think an auto would be able to, do you think your CAI helps?
Top Speed 130mph
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

I haven't smoked them on my Vibe, but check out this video that some guy made of his Vette that I found on the Corvetteforum. Listen and you can hear the rev limiter. (I think the file is a little under 2 megs)http://www.jaredmonaco.com/garage/corve ... rnOut2.avi
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
old man winter

Post by old man winter »

Yes...........I smoked the GT lots with a hard launch in first, with a nice burb in second and a little chirp into third. But if I'm going to race someone at the lights less wheel spin is best.
LocDog

Re: Who has smoked there tires (NovaResource)

Post by LocDog »

quote:I can spin mine. Not long smoky burnouts but it'll spin them on a good launch. BTW, this is a base Vibe with an auto not a GT/manual.I usually spin mine when making a turn and its raining, ive never done it goin straight on a dry road, how'd u do it?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
cohocarl

Re: Who has smoked there tires (LocDog)

Post by cohocarl »

quote:BTW, this is a base Vibe with an auto not a GT/manual.ive never done it goin straight on a dry road, how'd u do it?This is against the law to do on public roads.....but if you know of an unused private parking lot, come to a complete stop, pull up on the e-brake fairly hard, (hold the button in so you can feather the release easier), don't use the foot brake, and mash the gas. Watch your tach because once they break loose, they can spin fairly easily. All of which is murder on your transmission/differential, but it is a blast.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
LocDog

Re: Who has smoked there tires (cohocarl)

Post by LocDog »

Sweet, thanks for the tip. Have u done this urself or do u just think it'll work?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
cohocarl

Re: Who has smoked there tires (LocDog)

Post by cohocarl »

quote:Have u done this urself or do u just think it'll work?I think it will work.
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:... pull up on the e-brake fairly hard, ..."E-brake? I don't use my e-brake. I don't need no stinkin' e-brake!"Actually, I don't have mouch trouble spinning the tires away from a stop without using the e-brake. Another way I can do it (and get a longer spin) is to bring the engine up to about 2000-rpm while holding the break pedal down and then release the brake and floor the gas. No e-brake required.
DVDvibe

Post by DVDvibe »

I can get my base vibe to spin very easy in the rain or when turning but it will also break loose when taching up the engine a little when starting from a complete stop.
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

quote:... pull up on the e-brake fairly hard, ..."E-brake? I don't use my e-brake. I don't need no stinkin' e-brake!"I preferred to use the e-brake on my Cavaliers because it was easier with a manual tranny, and you're not holding the front wheels with the e-brake like you are with the regular brakes. Which ever way is easier for those just starting to smoke. The e-brake is also fun if you live where there is snow in the winter. See Ya,Carl
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

Damn, I have a GT and haven't tried it yet. After reading these post, I know that day will come...
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
cohocarl

Re: Who has smoked there tires (rasermon)

Post by cohocarl »

Rasermon, Are you any good with a video camera? I have a video capture board in my computer and we could make some burnout videos. I don't dare ask my wife to videotape me lighting 'em up. We'll have to meet in B.C. sometime.....
rasermon

Post by rasermon »

quote:Rasermon, Are you any good with a video camera? I have a video capture board in my computer and we could make some burnout videos. I don't dare ask my wife to videotape me lighting 'em up. We'll have to meet in B.C. sometime..... Sounds good. I have a JVC digital video camera, so there is no need for a capture board. We will hookup one day and take some pic's and video.
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
LadyHwk750

Re: Who has smoked there tires (rasermon)

Post by LadyHwk750 »

I'd like to see that if you guys really make the video. Any chance of putting it somewhere where we can get a download?
Dragoneyed

Post by Dragoneyed »

Finally spinned mine a couple of nights ago using Scotts tactics. What fun, now I brake with my left foot all the time in case I feel energetic.
Abyss Vibe base auto with power, moontoons, abs. Undercar neons (red) along with various accent lights. Pics soon to come.
Flip-Side

Re: Who has smoked there tires (Dragoneyed)

Post by Flip-Side »

Yeah...thats how I use to do it...before I blew my S-10 tranny. It was old though. But just telling ya that holding the brake and hitting the gas puts strain on the trans.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
NovaResource

Re: Who has smoked there tires (baddkkarma)

Post by NovaResource »

Break torquing is not that bad on your trans. I didn't say to rev it to 4000-rpm against the brake and I didn't say hold it for 5 minutes. If you bring the revs up to 1500 to 2000 rpm for about 2 seconds you won't hurt your trans.
wrench79

Post by wrench79 »

i used the e-brake this past weekend to do a burnout. It was on smooth blacktop, i just rev'd up the motor to 5k and dropped the clutch. I actually shifted to 2nd gear during the burnout, i wish i would've had a camera. Although i dramatically reduced the life of my front tires, you only live once. If you want to try this for yourself i would recomend doing it when the car is warm, the first time i tried it the car was cold and once it hit camswitchover it fell on it's face.
2003 Lava Vibe GT.17''wheel package, 6spd, no sunroof.......oh well
old man winter

Re: Who has smoked there tires (wrench79)

Post by old man winter »

Hmmmmmm.....I think that I'm going to try that. I will get my wife to use the digital camera, pour some oil on the blacktop to make some smoke.........click,clickclick..........see what happens.
Chris

Re: Who has smoked there tires (old man winter)

Post by Chris »

Actually, bleach works better... nice big clouds of white smoke pouring off the tires. I don't think bleach is good for the tires... but then again neither is doing massive smokey burnouts Just glad it's your drive train and not mine
Chris Car: Base Abyss Vibe 5 spd + Mags & Power Pkg - no modsBike: Suzuki GSXR1100 4xK&N's V&H pipe and headers
old man winter

Re: Who has smoked there tires (Chris)

Post by old man winter »

Ya, bleach melts the tires. Free spinning the wheels at 3000 rpm does not hurt the drive train. With the e brake on you can shift gears at sit there for 2 minutes and make lots of smoke