2nd Gear Chirp

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
JustinVGT

2nd Gear Chirp

Post by JustinVGT »

I've just been wondering how some of you have mentioned when racing or accelerating quickly, you can chirp your tires when shifting into second gear. I still have not been able to do that. Is there some trick to your shifting? When I am accelerating quickly I take it up just about to the redline and push the clutch in, slam the shifter into second, and let the clutch out as quickly as possible. Do you slip the clutch when letting it out? I don't want to add too much excessive wear and tear to the clutch, especially with some saying their clutches are going out early. Thanks,
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
savedbyzero

Re: 2nd Gear Chirp (JustinVGT)

Post by savedbyzero »

I would say it's actually good that you're not. But if you want to do it, drop the clutch hard at the top of first into second...CHIRP!
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
philndz

Post by philndz »

lay on the gas before you actually drop the clutch and make sure you drp the clutch at between 3000 and 4000 rpms and you should get serious bite!!
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
JustinVGT

Re: 2nd Gear Chirp (savedbyzero)

Post by JustinVGT »

quote:I would say it's actually good that you're not. But if you want to do it, drop the clutch hard at the top of first into second...CHIRP!Yeah, I know it's not good for it, I was just wondering how it's done.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

if u slam the clutch down, your wasting time. I shift with my clutch only a quarter of the way down, which is about where it lets go.
slbpsi63

Re: 2nd Gear Chirp (dmitri)

Post by slbpsi63 »

quote:if u slam the clutch down, your wasting time. I shift with my clutch only a quarter of the way down, which is about where it lets go. Good call Thats what I do
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
Hot Vibe

Post by Hot Vibe »

The problem is tha you are probably letting off of the gas.
Just here to lend a hand to people who have questions about their Vibe.
dmitri

Re: 2nd Gear Chirp (Hot Vibe)

Post by dmitri »

lol i dont let off the gas when i shift i let go so its not floored but im still pushing it.
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

If you're shifting at or near the red line, you don't actually have to lift off the throttle at all. You can just dip the clutch a bit and slam the next gear on the first burp of the rev limiter. It works fine for me, but I don't plan to make a habit of it. >insert weasel words here about being on your own if anything goes wrong<
Hot Vibe

Post by Hot Vibe »

Keep your right foot on the floor and you will get the chirp. Dont be afraid just practice shifting gears faster. IF the RPM's are high enough you may not even have to push in the clutch. "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!".
Just here to lend a hand to people who have questions about their Vibe.