Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!!

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
QUIKAG

Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!!

Post by QUIKAG »

Any advice on launching technique? I'm figuring a 4-5k mild clutch slip going full throttle off the line, then powershifting second gear to help keep the car in lift. Anything else??
'03 Vibe GT monotone silver/black interior, 17 inch wheels, 6-disc changer, power packageMods: AEM intake, TRD springs, A-spec Strut Bar'01 Corvette Coupe silver/black interior, six-speed, Z51, a few mods, 12.29 at 117.3mph in 1/4 mile on street tires.
x2nddavex

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (QUIKAG)

Post by x2nddavex »

i don't have any advice, but when you get back, post your time, i'm curious what our gt's are capable of. thanks
Owned your Civic. Hows the view from behind?
satur9

Post by satur9 »

let me know if you need a helmet what did they check for tech inspection etc. basically can you just go and make runs or what?
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

Quote End quoteYes: Take the plates off, just in case word gets back to your dealer or insurance agent! (And if anything untoward should happen, don't have the dealer tow it in from the track... )Oh, and try not to make any unflattering performance comparisons with your Vette!
Chris

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (MadBill)

Post by Chris »

Make as many passes as you can. It takes a while to learn your car and figure out what's best... little clutch slip, little wheelspin, where to stage.I've never dragged a car before however I did find that when dragging my bike, I'd skip the burnout and stage just a little off centre so as not to put my wheel on the rubber left by the cars cuz my best launch was a bit of wheelspin otherwise a bog would kill your et.So, my suggestion would be to stage off the rubber, get some wheelspin and go... too much hook-up and you'll bog and get a bad timeHave a great time and good luck!
Chris Car: Base Abyss Vibe 5 spd + Mags & Power Pkg - no modsBike: Suzuki GSXR1100 4xK&N's V&H pipe and headers
Vibe GTR

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (satur9)

Post by Vibe GTR »

Here in central texas, $5 to get in, $10 to run as many times as you want on friday test and tune night. Helmet only if you do 13.99 or better. brakes good, no leaks, no siucide doors, and seatbelts must work. oh yea sign waiver( track not responable is you kill yourself) Launch around 5-5500 rpms keep in lift(tricky at first). best time so far 16.2@ 85mph. People will laugh at first until they see and hear lift. the only mods done TRD airfilter and royal purple oil. Its FUN , what a RUSH. GOODLUCK
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (QUIKAG)So what were the times? This was a week and a half ago.
CaCathy13

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (x2nddavex)

Post by CaCathy13 »

15.3 1/4 mile time hereI got underdrive pullies on last week...going to be racing in Albany, NY next week. We'll see if there is any difference.
CathyWhen this baby hits 6.000rpm's, you're gonna see some serious sh*t-Got Lift?'03 Neptune Vibe GT: SLP Hood, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D exhaust, Unorthodox underdrive pullies, K&N filter, G-Racing 17' Mito's, TEIN Springs, yellow calipers, GrafxWerks, Silverstar's, XM, Infinity basslink-more mods to come!http://www.mitro.net/vibe
dmitri

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (CaCathy13)

Post by dmitri »

does your car idle any different? how does it run? do any of the accessories or your system (if you have one) act differently?
Pablo1669

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (dmitri)

Post by Pablo1669 »

quote:does your car idle any different? how does it run? do any of the accessories or your system (if you have one) act differently?I have the underdrive pulleys also. nah, it runs fine, no real differences in the accessories or anything like that. I do like the improvement in speed, you'll really feel it in lift, especially 3rd gear... what a rush.
-Brian
QUIKAG

Re: Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (NovaResource)

Post by QUIKAG »

quote:Taking Vibe GT to 1/4 mile drag strip tonight!! (QUIKAG)So what were the times? This was a week and a half ago.Sorry guys/gals, I forgot I made this post in the forum.I made a few passes, the track was HORRIBLE and the weather was very humid and near 100 degrees. Also, I think my 17 inch wheel/tire package was hurting me off the line pretty bad. Even with a 4000rpm clutch DUMP, it was bogging off the line, and then the crappy track was allowing some spinning through the top of first into second. Basically, it was pretty ugly.On both passes I ran a 16.2 at 89mph. With better track and weather conditions, I can easily get mid 15's at 91mph or so.Either way, it's definitely not as easy to get down the track as my other car.
'03 Vibe GT monotone silver/black interior, 17 inch wheels, 6-disc changer, power packageMods: AEM intake, TRD springs, A-spec Strut Bar'01 Corvette Coupe silver/black interior, six-speed, Z51, a few mods, 12.29 at 117.3mph in 1/4 mile on street tires.