Anyone Autocross?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
Ninja_Logan

Anyone Autocross?

Post by Ninja_Logan »

I am gonna start autocrossing my vibe in about 8 months after i get some springs, and intake and an exhaust system. anyone recommend anything else?and i got an old dsm im rebuilding too. so if ya wanna talk about rebuilding dsm's let me know!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

welcome! if you look in the motorsports/racing forums, some of us do autocross our vehicles.i would add sway bars to your list. and why wait 8 months? do it stock so you can figure out how your car is handling before slapping more things on it! LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Ninja_Logan

Post by Ninja_Logan »

i dont have time to autocross it now, but i was thinking about a sway bar too. but thanks ill definately try to
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

strut bars, and sway bars are almost essential, but it will throw you into a different class. sometimes being completely stock is better.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Merzbow

Re: Anyone Autocross? (Ninja_Logan)

Post by Merzbow »

I have heard and read up that the strut bars do absolutely nothing for the Vibe's handling. The struts are close enough together and designed in a way that they do not sway or move when the vibe corners.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, after having one in both vibes, i will have to disagree with that impression. i can tell you from experience you can tell a difference. going back to Madbill's experiment, as i've done this in the past 4 yrs it seems, he was looking at / and / movements and not or / / which is what the strut tower bar actually does. if they didn't work, then why would so many people who upgrade their suspension and car manufacturers for rallycross use them? i will add that an ebay STB is just as effective as a TRD STB (that I had and then went to Phil who has now passed it on to our friend's Trix).
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
GrayFox

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by GrayFox »

I'm really interested in getting started in this, too. I doubt I'll actually race anytime soon but I am deffinately hitting up the next local "school" event... bad thing is that will most likely be next year sometime
Mavrik

Re: (ANO_Vibe)

Post by Mavrik »

its a lot of fun strut bars do work. at least in my experience. If you can't tell if you have one on or off... your not pushing your car to its limit.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
MAVibe

Re: Anyone Autocross? (Ninja_Logan)

Post by MAVibe »

A supercharger will give you more of an edge too.... I'm joining the scca chapter up here....
HISTORY:2006, debadged, Cosmo Racing SR, Megan Racing strut bar, Progress swaybar, custom VVT-I body decals, GrafxWerx engine cover overlay, front-end bra, WeatherTech visors, S2000 antenna, f&r mudflaps, roof spoiler, AND MODA R9's w/ 225/40/18 Yokohama Avid's....
Ninja_Logan

Re: Anyone Autocross? (MAVibe)

Post by Ninja_Logan »

i heard that the superchargers for vibe gt's dont help all that much cuz it only adds like 10 or 15 horsepower so it wasnt worth the money. true?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

you got a vibe GT? then you dont' need to worry to much then. there is a lotus elise (2zz) that runs 1st and 2nd all the way up to red line. one of the quickest out there, so i doubt you'll have issues. as for s/c, there is not a TRD or GM s/c for the 2zz. you'd have to go aftermarket and not really worth the money imo. you're talking about $7K after all is said and done and that's w/ a turbo which will net you far more power and boost.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Ninja_Logan

Post by Ninja_Logan »

alright sick thanks man.
manicdan

Re: (Ninja_Logan)

Post by manicdan »

i was thinking of getting into autox aswell, but i live in a state that dosnt have much of anything, so is there a good search engine to find a autox track near my zipcode of 19701
joholste

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by joholste »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »you got a vibe GT? then you dont' need to worry to much then. there is a lotus elise (2zz) that runs 1st and 2nd all the way up to red line. one of the quickest out there, so i doubt you'll have issues. Yeah you know vibe, elise same thing right ha ha
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
drunkenmaxx

Re: (joholste)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

sure, if you rip out all of the interior and cut the roof off to reduce weight!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"