Drag racing issue

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
Voltty

Drag racing issue

Post by Voltty »

Hi, I'm would like to know if anyone is experiencing the same problem like mine.When drag racing I'm having big knocks from the front wheels when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. It is like instead of some wheel spin the power is pushing the shock all the way up.Is any one having this and is there any thing to do to correct it?10x
V4Voltz http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2199378 UpdatedMods so far:- TRD Springs + Shocks / TRD Exaust / Aem Short Ram / TWM short shifter, TWM .44 Magnum Shift Knobs.ACT XTSS clutch kit + MWR Flywheel. UPDATED 11/16/06
Emerica13

Re: Drag racing issue (Voltty)

Post by Emerica13 »

axle hop..new motor mounts or suspension tend to help, but not much can cure it entirely, unless I'm mistaken
2003 Shadow Vibe GT
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I have had that problem, although just when trying to pull out into traffic in a hurry. I've also heard it called wheel hop. I hate it when it happens but I haver not done anything to my car to try to keep it from happening, other than not driving it so hard. But sometimes I forget.Supposedly one of the things that delayed GM releasing the supercharger for the base Vibe was wheel hop in the manual transmission models, and the supercharger kit was for the manual transmission models was supposed to include stiffer motor mounts to help reduce wheel hop. I don't know if it ever did.
Voltty

Post by Voltty »

Yeap that's it wheel hop.It happening more offen since i have changed clutch to an ACT XTSS, the clucth is doing very well, even on 4th gear you can hear a very little wheel spin.Any idea where to buy a stiffer mounts?
V4Voltz http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2199378 UpdatedMods so far:- TRD Springs + Shocks / TRD Exaust / Aem Short Ram / TWM short shifter, TWM .44 Magnum Shift Knobs.ACT XTSS clutch kit + MWR Flywheel. UPDATED 11/16/06
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

http://www.energysuspension.com/thats a good clutch set up... more power to the ground and now you gotta get it stiff.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
Voltty

Re: Drag racing issue (CAN-AWD-VIBE)

Post by Voltty »

any website that sell this products?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

he he.. don't miss the wheel hop for sure. Mav's base vibe has that problem too, but not too terrible.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
tcam

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by tcam »

i hate the 1st to 2nd shift. If it isn't a perfectly timed shift, then it bounces and just feels awkward for a brief second.what would have to be done if someone was to install these motor mounts? Could it even be a "do it yourself" job, or would it best be installed by a professional?
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Voltty »any website that sell this products?neverenoughauto.com has these for sale.http://neverenoughauto.com/ind...=1727
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Re: Drag racing issue (tcam)

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »neverenoughauto.com has these for sale.http://neverenoughauto.com/ind...=1727thats the perfect item at the perfect site.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
Legros

Re: (tcam)

Post by Legros »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »i hate the 1st to 2nd shift. If it isn't a perfectly timed shift, then it bounces and just feels awkward for a brief second.what would have to be done if someone was to install these motor mounts? Could it even be a "do it yourself" job, or would it best be installed by a professional?Same here... Is this a Do it yourself job?.. any bad sideeffect on the motor of these "stronger" mount?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

from what i've read on the forums previously, seems like motormounts are a do it yourself type job. i could be wrong, but do a search on here or matrixowners. I'm sure there's a lot of info.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Yup thats some wheel hop right there. Mine isn't to bad because my suspension has been changed out. Its still a pain though when you wanna hook up and launch on the track and all the wheels wanna do is bounce...
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Voltty's sig »V4Voltz oh, OH... I fell SO ripped off!!
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Mavrik

Re: Drag racing issue (VforVIBE)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »oh, OH... I fell SO ripped off!!the only other solution to wheel hop is to drive through the water pit, soak those front tires. That way they will spin instead of bounce.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

motormounts are easily a do-it-yourself job..really all u gotta do is loosen one mount..slide it out..put the new one in..and tighten her up..and do the same to the other(s)..thats what i did with my sunfire
VforVIBE

Re: Drag racing issue (Mavrik)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »the only other solution to wheel hop is to drive through the water pit, soak those front tires. That way they will spin instead of bounce.???
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
tcam

Re: Drag racing issue (VforVIBE)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by VforVIBE »???lol, I'm pretty sure what Mav said was kinda a joke.Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »motormounts are easily a do-it-yourself job..really all u gotta do is loosen one mount..slide it out..put the new one in..and tighten her up..and do the same to the other(s)..thats what i did with my sunfireHow did u lift the motor?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

no, he's talking about when you stage your car at the track. you drive through the water so your front tires can spin a little vs jerking hard to the side, thus decreasing wheel hop issues. think: FWD BURNOUT
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »no, he's talking about when you stage your car at the track. you drive through the water so your front tires can spin a little vs jerking hard to the side, thus decreasing wheel hop issues. think: FWD BURNOUT...
tcam

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by tcam »

I thought that water was purely for the burnout. lol. Why would u want the tires to spin when ur headin down the track?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I thought the water was to do a burnout to warm your tires up so you grip when you take off and not spin.... but im not a drag racer so i could be wrong?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

when you rev your engine in a fwd car, the tires will stick (usually) and the car jerks causing the wheel hop and loss of power/momentum. for FWD you kinda want the fronts to spin just a tad to get rid of some of that hop so you can go STRAIGHT instead of sideways from the starting line. LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

speaking from my experience drag racing my car, wheel spin is better then wheel hop. The only way your going to get wheel spin is by warming up those tires in the pit/getting them wet. Since I'm not a fan of a big ol one wheel burn out on my Vibe, I drive through the water pit and get my wheels wet. This way when I launch, my wheels spin instead of bounce. With enough throttle control you will launch MUCH better and faster this way. The tires will bite down instead of bang away. I am completely serious. I've experimented with both.
kevera

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by kevera »

Wheel hop is bad.On my Chevelle,I ripped my rear end out cause of that.I had to actually change the angle of the rear axle to eliminate the tendancy to hop under hard acceleration.It cost me lots of money to repair the drive shaft and suspension mounts.I learned a valuable lesson-Wheel hop is bad,and I don't want to look stupid at the track again.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil