Fastest Vibe?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
WENIS

Fastest Vibe?

Post by WENIS »

I was wondering what the fastest E.T. was on a Vibe with mods... I looked around in the time slip thread but there was took much talking and not enough slips.Anyone in the mid/low 14's range?
Black '03 SRT-4 - Mopar Stage-1Black '05 Vibe - Stock
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Theres someone with a turbo vibe, id think their the fastest unless some of those SC ones post up some times.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

don't know. can't remember what some of the Turbo'd vibes/trixes are. i would think that turbo'd xrs is probably the fastest!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

talk is talk. I want to see some slips My vibe does the 1/4 mile in 16.8 seconds with only an intake and exhaust as modifications. I bet if I was to put on my lighter steel rims and take out my spare... I could be faster. Also with my unichip installed since that last run I am curious to see what I could do now.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I think SC stock vibes were in the low 15s..so with some nice mods you could make 14's.
WENIS

Re: (northvibe)

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »I think SC stock vibes were in the low 15s..so with some nice mods you could make 14's.Ok that sounds promising... I’m debating on whether or not to spend money on stage-3 for the SRT-4, or get the TRD blower for the Vibe, and a few other goodies. I can’t do both, at least not for a while, and I’m happy with the SRT on Stage-1 (240whp), Stage-3 (over 300whp) might be a little too much to handle, and Stage-2 (260whp) isn’t much of a jump from Stage-1. I drove down to Baltimore a few times to visit a sick relative and the Vibe needed to downshift to get up some hills which got me thinking again about the S/C. Though I don’t want to spend 4 or 5 grand and end up with a high 14’s car, I’d rather leave it and keep my killer mileage and just toy with the esse-are-tea. But if I could make the Vibe quicker than say… a Cobalt SS S/C heh-heh that could be entertaining… Seriously it should only take about 70-80 more whp, no one has done this yet?I’m thinking, S/C with higher boost pulley, race header, ECU, CAI, maybe a slight weight redux? Oh yeah… anyone ever look into engine swaps for the vibe, like a TC’s 2.4L? Could you imagine a 2.4L turbo vibe… no one would ever suspect you *evil grin*
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

with enough money, ANYTHING is possible.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

I think if a engine swap was possible, I would go with a top mount intercooled turbo 2.5 STi engine with 6spd transmission swapped into the Vibe as well as the awd driveline and brembo brakes complete with BBS rims. That would be sweet.But a cold air intake, unichip and exhaust system is fairly cheap when compared to an S/C and would give you all the power you need on the hills. Unless your climbing bigger hills then I do here in Alaska.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the problem with a top mounted intercooler is they arent as efficient as the front ones, or so ive heard. But they are easy to install thats why subaru and mazda use them.A vibe taking on a ss SC cobalt, im going to try to do that with my friend who is buying a cobalt ss sc next week. but im telling you those cobalt's are fast, hard to race a 2.0 vs a 1.8. but yea with some mods you might be able to beat one
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i would imagine if you are going from a turbo'd SRT4 stage 1 to a bone stock base vibe (5MT I'm assuming), then you would be disappointed. however, if money is a concern, I would recommend the CAI/Exhaust/ECM route. much less money and imo, the gains are decent. as you stated previously, if stg 2 is only 20 hp more, why spend all the money??? not that much of a gain really. if you can get decent #'s from I/E/ECM for $1000 or so, then it may make more sense for you. if your goal is having a S/C or Turbo then.... well, it won't matter. keep in mind, if you do go S/C, factor in cost of fuel for premium.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Well you would also put a scoop on the hood to draw in all that air. Plus a TMIC passes the safety issues Canada is having with the Evo. You can't buy one in canada because of the FMIC.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

the worst part is that it's not just a 2.0, it's a SCed one!i think it would take a turbo vibe to beat one of those suckers.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »the problem with a top mounted intercooler is they arent as efficient as the front ones, or so ive heard. But they are easy to install thats why subaru and mazda use them.Well, it's pretty simple. a FMIC will get better gains because the air and surface of the FMIC is greater than having the air redirected to a panel on the top. you also have issues of the TMIC having more heat from the engine bay. however, for fitment and easier installation, a TMIC will usually bolt on without requiring additional cutting or fabrication of the front bumper like most FMIC.Once Phil gets his STi, then I most likely will be going with a larger TMIC, turbo, and headers along with reflashing my ECM. with that combo, i should easily be hitting about 330+ awhp and something insane on tq. if i went with just an STi swap (manifold, TGV's, STi TMIC, STi turbo VF39) then I would probably net about 270-280 awhp. I'd really like to get to 300 awhp. it would be close to or a little more to go the other route, and I don't need the car to be a true "STI" badged vehicle like some people. In fact, I would still not put any badges on the car like it is now.Quote »A vibe taking on a ss SC cobalt, im going to try to do that with my friend who is buying a cobalt ss sc next week. but im telling you those cobalt's are fast, hard to race a 2.0 vs a 1.8. but yea with some mods you might be able to beat one it's really the low end tq that kills on the vibe. if the low end tq was greater, you have a good race. the 03GT would fair pretty well vs a cobalt SC SS if it had a few mods and you launched about 4300 RPM's. of course, you also stand a greater chance of detonating your engine. LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Well you would also put a scoop on the hood to draw in all that air. Plus a TMIC passes the safety issues Canada is having with the Evo. You can't buy one in canada because of the FMIC.that is just the way the Evo is built. you CAN have a FMIC in Canada if it meets the safety requirements (not met by the Evo obviously). I was talking with another gentleman in Hamilton, ON who recently installed a FMIC on his LGT regarding this. It has to do with the way the front bumper is built.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mrizzle05

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

probably since... the SS pushes 205 i believe stock!!! then add I/E/HOur GT might keep up with it if... IF the gt had I/H/E/ECM/ and lightened a bit... it would definately give the SS a good runJust my 2 cents*OH... and i want a SS... Mmmm Drool!!!
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
sloth

Post by sloth »

I'd just mod the SRT more, it would be a lot more fun. One of my friends has an SRT that is absolutely awesome. We went from 60 to 140 in practically no time at all.
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »i would imagine if you are going from a turbo'd SRT4 stage 1 to a bone stock base vibe (5MT I'm assuming), then you would be disappointed. .Hmmm not sure if you misunderstood me... maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm not getting rid of the SRT, just seeing if my Vibe can be made almost as fast without getting too crazy. I think it'd be funny as hell to spank Cobalt SS's, RX8's, WRX's and anything in the high 14's, low 15's range with a Vibe. Just don't see many Vibe's/ 'trix's in the mid 14's Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »however, if money is a concern, I would recommend the CAI/Exhaust/ECM route. much less money and imo, the gains are decent. as you stated previously, if stg 2 is only 20 hp more, why spend all the money??? .True, I could pick as much hp in the SRT with a 3" turbo back exhaust, & wga set to 18psi as I could with stage-2. A friend of mine is running that set-up and dyno'd at 268hp here in Gap pa. He ran low 13's @ 108 on stock tires down at Cecil county raceway MD. The thing I like about stage-3 (and even stage-2) is the "dial a boost" feature with the "turbo toys" dash panel. You can keep the boost dialed back to streetable levels, then turn it up when you line up with... an '03 Cobra for instance http://www.srtgurl.com/my_SRT-4.htm(scroll down to the dyno section, and look at the 3rd one down, same mods as my friend (plus some other non-power adders).Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »if you can get decent #'s from I/E/ECM for $1000 or so, then it may make more sense for you. if your goal is having a S/C or Turbo then.... well, it won't matter. keep in mind, if you do go S/C, factor in cost of fuel for premium.I think Unichip requires high octane as well doesn't it?My goal is to surprise some ppl in mid 14 second cars when I'm in the VIbe. I think since the base Vibe MT weighs 2700lbs and the Cobalt weighs 2659lbs, and both have a relatively low flat tq curve… you wouldn’t need to add that much power to run with it. If the Vibe’s motor could handle it a just 100shot alone would do it.My ultimate goal is to beat the crap out of the Caliber SRT-4 but I'm not sure that's possible with 1.8L and on stock internals. I swear that 300hp is going to be at the wheels… to bad it’s so dang ugly. The reason I think it’s at the wheels is because the neon SRT makes 250ft. lbs of tq at the wheels right now even though it’s advertised at the crank. The Caliber SRT-4 has the same engine, but with a 3” exhaust stock (neon’s is 2 1/4), better flowing head, slightly higher compression ratio, and most importantly VVT. They say it makes 260ft. lbs. of tq @6000rpm… again they say it’s at the crank. I can’t imagine with these changes, the motor would only make 220wtq (30 less than the current SRT-4). That means, if the 260tq is at the wheels, at 6000rpm it will be 297hp at the wheels (260 x 6000 / 5252 = 297). And no less driveable than a stage-1 SRT (same tq levels but crappy tq curve).
WENIS

Re: (sloth)

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by sloth »I'd just mod the SRT more, it would be a lot more fun. One of my friends has an SRT that is absolutely awesome. We went from 60 to 140 in practically no time at all.Yeah I know… I’d get more bang for the buck with the SRT, but I think it already has plenty of bang, while the Vibe could use some I think the Vibe is actually fun to drive, and with a little more torque it’d be a nice sleeper… it seems to handle really well for what it is, and I really like the styling. I don’t know, maybe I should spend half of the 5 grand on each car, and call it a day? Lol then I’d have a low 13’s high 12's SRT and low what 15’s? Vibe??? I guess that’d be ok…
WENIS

Re: Fastest Vibe? (WENIS)

Post by WENIS »

AKLGT

Re: (WENIS)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by WENIS »Hmmm not sure if you misunderstood me... maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I'm not getting rid of the SRT, just seeing if my Vibe can be made almost as fast without getting too crazy. I think it'd be funny as hell to spank Cobalt SS's, RX8's, WRX's and anything in the high 14's, low 15's range with a Vibe. Just don't see many Vibe's/ 'trix's in the mid 14's you're NOT going to beat a WRX with just mid to low 15's. LOL. sorry.... especially the new 2.5L WRX's. and I know you are not getting rid of your SRT4. I was comenting that when I switch cars with the hubby for the day, going from my 2.5L Turbo stage 2 to his base vibe 5MT w/ I/E/ECM, it's still very much NOT the same... however, it makes me miss having an MT, but then I switch the car to manual shift (but still NOT the same as MT ).Quote »True, I could pick as much hp in the SRT with a 3" turbo back exhaust, & wga set to 18psi as I could with stage-2. A friend of mine is running that set-up and dyno'd at 268hp here in Gap pa. He ran low 13's @ 108 on stock tires down at Cecil county raceway MD. The thing I like about stage-3 (and even stage-2) is the "dial a boost" feature with the "turbo toys" dash panel. You can keep the boost dialed back to streetable levels, then turn it up when you line up with... an '03 Cobra for instance http://www.srtgurl.com/my_SRT-4.htm(scroll down to the dyno section, and look at the 3rd one down, same mods as my friend (plus some other non-power adders).dial a boost would be nice as long as you don't blow up your engine. LOL. i run about 15 psi and on all stock parts, gutted uppipe, midpipe, and downpipe with ECM flash 13.6 1/4 ET in my AUTO. an MT with the exact same mods and set up will run low 13's. That's about $600 for the ECM and a day to knock out the cats in the pipes. still very very different than running a base vibe. these guys with the s/c and all these mods so far have been talk talk talk and nothing to show for it. i think devlop (had a turbo'd vibe) went to the track, but can't find any of his recorded times. i know they were pretty good, at least in the 14's if i remember correctly. with the vibe being so lightweight, low end torque will get it flying! Quote »I think Unichip requires high octane as well doesn't it?My goal is to surprise some ppl in mid 14 second cars when I'm in the VIbe. I think since the base Vibe MT weighs 2700lbs and the Cobalt weighs 2659lbs, and both have a relatively low flat tq curve… you wouldn’t need to add that much power to run with it. If the Vibe’s motor could handle it a just 100shot alone would do it.My ultimate goal is to beat the crap out of the Caliber SRT-4 but I'm not sure that's possible with 1.8L and on stock internals. I swear that 300hp is going to be at the wheels… to bad it’s so dang ugly. The reason I think it’s at the wheels is because the neon SRT makes 250ft. lbs of tq at the wheels right now even though it’s advertised at the crank. The Caliber SRT-4 has the same engine, but with a 3” exhaust stock (neon’s is 2 1/4), better flowing head, slightly higher compression ratio, and most importantly VVT. They say it makes 260ft. lbs. of tq @6000rpm… again they say it’s at the crank. I can’t imagine with these changes, the motor would only make 220wtq (30 less than the current SRT-4). That means, if the 260tq is at the wheels, at 6000rpm it will be 297hp at the wheels (260 x 6000 / 5252 = 297). And no less driveable than a stage-1 SRT (same tq levels but crappy tq curve).no, a unichip does not require premium fuel. it depends on what and how the tune is set up, just like any other ECM. with it being the vvt-i engine, unless you really mod the hell out of it, it's not necessary to spend the extra $$$. it's not like a F/I system that you throw on ECM and you instantly get 30+ whp! it's more like 5 hp up the powerband, but it certainly makes a difference on the low end. less maintenance and upkeep as well as being pretty safe. as for #'s of the SRT4, i don't really know. the engines are impressive at the very least, however, i'll stick with my AWD turbo. :D as soon as I'm allowed, it'll be upgrade time to 330+ awhp bliss! still, the vibe surprises people. they don't expect it to be as quick as it is... and i have to agree with you, it's a very attractive vehicle (imo), one of the reasons I fell in love with them back in 03. plus, the practicality is just awesome! it'll be interesting to see the new caliber srt4's... i want to test drive one when they get them in, see what they're all about and all. doubt i'd ever buy one though. i like the looks, but the vibe is better.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

Hey we have no 300HP but id rather look good loosing darn it!
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

turbo you could get 300hp.... but forged internals would be nice to get more hp.
AKLGT

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »Hey we have no 300HP but id rather look good loosing darn it! i believe rio-trix was just under that! it was 292 whp on the dyno if i remember correctly. he has an xrs 2zz... nice!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

his signature on MO has 342HPNot sure which is true.. but i know we can reach it... its just too much money
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

that's at the crank, not wheels. the wheels is what's the most important.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

MWR has had some crazy HP out of celica's and MR2's so if they just got a matrix going i bet they'd get the same crazy HP. Someone just needs to get the forged internals and turbo that beast.
SuperSpeedWagon

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

yeah but ummm sry guys but im still wondering who is the fastest vibe??? any times come on post them up i might run my car tomarrow so i will hopefully post mine up...
2010 vibe gt
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »that's at the crank, not wheels. the wheels is what's the most important. I bet people get the crank and the wheel numbers confused all the time. And I know a lot of my friends that don't know anything about cars, had no idea that hp could change depending on where it is measured. I often times see a hp stat. and wonder whether it's at the crank or the wheels.I guess I'm just ranting here, but I just think the two measurements really confuse things.Quote, originally posted by SuperSpeedWagon »yeah but ummm sry guys but im still wondering who is the fastest vibe??? any times come on post them up i might run my car tomarrow so i will hopefully post mine up...ditto. I'm dying to hear what the best time is so far.
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »you're NOT going to beat a WRX with just mid to low 15's. LOL. sorry.... especially the new 2.5L WRX's. and I know you are not getting rid of your SRT4. I was comenting that when I switch cars with the hubby for the day, going from my 2.5L Turbo stage 2 to his base vibe 5MT w/ I/E/ECM, it's still very much NOT the same... however, it makes me miss having an MT, but then I switch the car to manual shift (but still NOT the same as MT ).LOL no, I was saying if the Vibe ran mid 14's I could beat WRX’s (highway pull, probably a tie from a dig at least for the first 1/4 mile or so ) and anything running in the high 14’s/low 15’s range (RSX’s, Celicas GTS’s, modded Hondas… ex). I see what you're saying now, but I didn’t expect the Vibe to pull like the SRT... It'd be nice, but I wouldn't expect it. I just want to make it faster, about as fast as some of the quicker F/I 4 bangers on the market today (mid 14's). Seems possible with that turbo kit, would like to see some slips though… I agree there is a lot of talk about what it *could* do, but not enough evidence. Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »dial a boost would be nice as long as you don't blow up your engine. LOL. i run about 15 psi and on all stock parts, gutted uppipe, midpipe, and downpipe with ECM flash 13.6 1/4 ET in my AUTO. an MT with the exact same mods and set up will run low 13's. That's about $600 for the ECM and a day to knock out the cats in the pipes. still very very different than running a base vibe. these guys with the s/c and all these mods so far have been talk talk talk and nothing to show for it. i think devlop (had a turbo'd vibe) went to the track, but can't find any of his recorded times. i know they were pretty good, at least in the 14's if i remember correctly. with the vibe being so lightweight, low end torque will get it flying! Nah it only lets you dial it back, it won't let you turn it up past safe levels. What's nice is you adjust it "on the fly" from the dashboard. I have yet to hear of any blown stage-3's... it's a pretty safe tune. I just don’t know about all that power coming from the front wheels… I have to admit I’m scared I’d break something, or worse. The more I think about this, the more it makes sense to stick with stage-1, and add onto it to shoot for low 13’s. Much cheaper, much easier to handle. Stage-3 is good for low, low 12’s, or high 11’s with a weight redux, not sure I need that kind of performance.Low 13’s for $600 isn’t bad… that AWD helps a tad Traps in the 102 range I’m guessing?Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »still, the vibe surprises people. they don't expect it to be as quick as it is... and i have to agree with you, it's a very attractive vehicle (imo), one of the reasons I fell in love with them back in 03. plus, the practicality is just awesome! it'll be interesting to see the new caliber srt4's... i want to test drive one when they get them in, see what they're all about and all. doubt i'd ever buy one though. i like the looks, but the vibe is better. I think it’s fugly… I was going to wait and get one, but I saw how disgusting it was and figured I’d be better off with a vibe. Better styling, better fuel mileage… I have the SRT for hot rodding in (this was my thinking before) now I’m thinking it’d be nice to have the utility & the performance… but I can’t get past the Durango-ish looks.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

I have not uploaded a pic of the time slip yet but my best time in my Vibe before the unichip install is.+.4200 ---Reaction time2.6139 ---60ft7.1431 ---330ft10.8629 ---1/8 ET66.27 ---1/8 MPH16.8510 ---1/4 ET81.94 ---1/4 MPHThat was just on regular fuel, intake and exhaust. I can't even remember if I removed my spare tire lol. I may have.I gotta say though... if your going to spend the money to bring your car up to the level of another... example being if I wanted my Vibe to beat a WRX... I would be better off buying the WRX and putting that money into making it faster.
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

well if you get enough mods and an chip and P&P header... you could keep up/beat a subie RS there 160-ish stock!
Mavrik

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by Mavrik »

well I have the chip installed now. But I'm not buying headers just like Hope isn't buying anything else for her car either until I'm behind the wheel of a new car. Then the Vibe can become a project car/be driven while she rips hers apart.
Mrizzle05

Post by Mrizzle05 »

congrats.... im in the same boat. after i get my gauges done. ima save as much as i can. wanna pay off school loans and the car. ill get lil things but ima try not to get anything else... unless its a great deal Let us know how the chip is.
AKLGT

Re: (SuperSpeedWagon)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by SuperSpeedWagon »yeah but ummm sry guys but im still wondering who is the fastest vibe??? any times come on post them up i might run my car tomarrow so i will hopefully post mine up...like we've already been saying. there's a lot of people TALKING, but no one SHOWING. especially the guys with their s/c and turbo's. come on! why even bother if you can't actually PROVE you're fast??? I think I've only seen one s/c vibe with a time slip and that's damron's. unfortunately, Mav's base vibe with CAI and exhaust was beating it's times!!! i think he needs to figure out his launching and also LOSE some weight. it's killing his times!! We're all waiting to see Lancer's if he can get to the track without everyone and their brother being there too. Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »well I have the chip installed now. But I'm not buying headers just like Hope isn't buying anything else for her car either until I'm behind the wheel of a new car. Then the Vibe can become a project car/be driven while she rips hers apart.no, the parts will be awaiting you to drive off the show room floor with your new car... it may even be IN the shop or in someone's garage (jerry's or ralph's) ready for install! I could get it all done in a day or 2! :D and you ALWAYS take out your spare tire and any other accessory in the car. why do i know?? because it's usually piled up NEXT to all my crap! LOLQuote, originally posted by WENIS »Low 13’s for $600 isn’t bad… that AWD helps a tad Traps in the 102 range I’m guessing?those guys (MT) are running 102 - 105 mph. i can't seem to get past 98 mph. it's the auto and my top end! grrr! the AWD helps get grip, BUT it kills us on the awhp ratings and crank speeds... it's so freaking heavy! my car weighs 3760 with me in it! (also includes the spare, sub, amp, etc). last time, i raced a gutted POS honda, i ran 13.63 and he ran 13.69. i smoked him off the line, but he was catching up. my trap speed was 98 mph and his was 102! i'm told with headers, that would help free the engine on the top end, should be able to increase my hp by about 20 hp with a reflash like some of the other guys are doing. or a bigger TMIC would also do the trick... the stock TMIC is very small and really sucks. not sure why they went so small on these... they would perform so much better. before we go to the track this weekend, i'm going to take off the inner hoodscoop that restricts the air flow. see if that makes any difference just by allowing more air over more surface. it SHOULD. hopefully the weather holds up and we (Mav and I) will be able to tell you a: unichip differences on base 5MT with CAI and exhaust and b: taking out stupid hood scoop restrictor really restricts air.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

just a friendly note. keep in mind when you say what good is it making your car fast is you can't prove it: you estimate your HP/TQ numbers all the time, with no dyno to back it up. (yes i am aware there is no AWD dyno there)as far as the fastest vibe (proven), that was develop, he was running i believe md-high 14s in his turbo base.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
AKLGT

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »just a friendly note. keep in mind when you say what good is it making your car fast is you can't prove it: you estimate your HP/TQ numbers all the time, with no dyno to back it up. (yes i am aware there is no AWD dyno there)as far as the fastest vibe (proven), that was develop, he was running i believe md-high 14s in his turbo base.i'm talking about taking it to the track with REAL numbers and times. I can also use my G-tech which is very close and accurate for NET hp and tq. sure it's not a dyno, but dyno only gives whp #'s and not real world times. if there was an awd dyno available, it would show what the most hp/tq ratings would be at one point on the power band. 1/4 times give a more accurate view of what the car really can do on the road. my car can get off the line fast, but once i hit 3-4 gears, it sucks! then there are cars that are the opposite, slow on the take off but flies on top end. a dyno doesn't show this... only the peak or max points. but in real world, track times show more or less what your car is really capable of, not just looking at #'s on a machine or computer. then taking a step further, autocross shows how good of a driver you really are. LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

If you dyno’d you’d be able to see if you need to tune your set-up, or if it’s just your auto trans holding you back. You could see what your torque curve is doing, for instance tapering off in the mid/high rpm range… Then focus on either getting more mods to free things up, or maybe your tq curve is relatively flat up top and it’s something else? How do you know without strapping it to a dyno? All you know is you’re not trapping as high as you should. Is your car pulling timming? Maybe something’s messed up with your mods and it’s running lean? Gutted cats throwing a code and your ECU is pulling back? Could just be the gear ratios though...
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

she doesn't have any cel codes present.Here in alaska with most everyone or someone you know owning a awd vehicle... there are no accessable awd dynos here. I would like to get my Vibe on a dyno to see what numbers its putting to the crank and the wheels and then see how close the G-tech is to that. But we'll see if I ever get around to doing that lol.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »like we've already been saying. there's a lot of people TALKING, but no one SHOWING. especially the guys with their s/c and turbo's. come on! why even bother if you can't actually PROVE you're fast??? it's killing his times!! We're all waiting to see Lancer's if he can get to the track without everyone and their brother being there too. I truely am trying to get to the track. It hasn't been working out. Rained again today. Anyone in the area is more than welcome to come visit and drive my car if they want. It's a HOOT! About the Cobalt ss s/c. Well, we are not allowed to tell 'non-sanctioned' & illegal street racing stories anymore. But I can tell you I was impressed. But then I had a bad maf sensor so I'm looking for a fair rematch. Honestly, I think the Cobalt would win, but not by much. From a roll they aren't all that great. From a dig, they're LSD was interesting to watch. Another thing, a XRS will have no chance with against one. Just the non s/c'ed ss. If a modded GT-s and a XRS can't get past me, there's no way it'll get past a Cobalt ss s/c.I think I can say that I'm the fastest vibe in Wisconsin?
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »i'm talking about taking it to the track with REAL numbers and times. I can also use my G-tech which is very close and accurate for NET hp and tq. sure it's not a dyno, but dyno only gives whp #'s and not real world times. if there was an awd dyno available, it would show what the most hp/tq ratings would be at one point on the power band. 1/4 times give a more accurate view of what the car really can do on the road. my car can get off the line fast, but once i hit 3-4 gears, it sucks! then there are cars that are the opposite, slow on the take off but flies on top end. a dyno doesn't show this... only the peak or max points. but in real world, track times show more or less what your car is really capable of, not just looking at #'s on a machine or computer. then taking a step further, autocross shows how good of a driver you really are. LOLDynos really can give you a feeling for what a car is capable of… as long as you know how to read it, and have a good understanding of how hp and tq affects your acceleration. You’re right about peak numbers not telling you much… you have to interpret the entire tq curve. Here’s an example that should really clear things up.About a year or so ago I was on the SRT forums discussing the then newly released ION redline with a few ppl when one of them posts an ION redline dyno and says how the ION should be able to run door to door with a stock SRT-4. His point was, they weigh about the same, and both dyno around 220whp. The only problem is… the tq curves. You see, while both cars were making the same peak hp numbers, the SRT spends more time near it’s peak levels than the cobalt does. Because the Ion redline’s tq curve is flat it’s power curve gradually increases until the redline where it peaks. So how long is it making 200+whp? Only a few rpm’s right near the redline… while the SRT is making 200+ whp from about the mid range all the way to the redline. Another way to look at it is to simply focus on the tq curve, since tq is actually what is being measured by the dyno, and since it is what represents the car’s rate of acceleration at a given rpm range. A car with a flat tq curve will feel like it “pulls” evenly all the way to the redline, while a car with a peaky tq curve will pull hard then start to taper off (like my SRT). So while a flat tq curve is ideal for making maximum power, if I had to choose between a car that stays at 185wtq or one that hovers around 250wtq and only drops to 185 at the redline… I’d take the spiky one It may not accelerate steadily, but it will accelerate faster in some parts of the revband and that means the car will be quicker (all else being equal). Going strictly off this dyno, and knowing what stock SRT are capable of I correctly predicted that most IRL's and even Cobalt SS's would run mid 14's... Here’s a visual aide I used that finally got him to understand what I meant. The Peak numbers are similar, but you can tell which car is quicker by looking at the graph.I’m willing to bet if you ever would get your car dyno’d it’s look a lot like this (estimated crank numbers):However, if you freed up some tq up top as shown here, you should trap around 102mph. Maybe some exhaust work?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, as others have found on several forums I belong to (legacygt.com, NASIOC.com) they have taken their G-tech and compared it to their dyno runs. very very close and similar. as for my top end and what kills me on my trapspeeds, it's just the AUTO tranny that sucks. everyone else with the same car, engine, basic same mods with AT have the same issue, while the MT guys are able to smoke us. that's what sucks! same car, same mods, but the MT will leave us in the dust once you get to 1/8 mile. I think I have some dyno's of other people's LGT's with similar mods. I'm sure if i had REAL mods plus a larger TMIC or headers, I could free up that top end and definitely kick more (removed)! LOL.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Hey wenis, I dont have any slips, its been a a year or two since I have been to the track. My best time was a 14.8It was done at Lacr , which is in the desert at around 3k elevation. My 60ft was a poor 2.5 and my speed was 97 mph at the end of the 1/4.I was running 12 psi on stock internals.I have friends who hit the high 13's at the track in their wrx's that get 1.8 60ft times, but that I can beat on a roll in my turboed Vibe.My set up does not pull timing, it just adds a lot of fuel and I have a t3 turbo and an FMIC. I am not trying to make any outrageos claims, I am just letting you know what you can expect if you turbo your vibe. If you run at 8psi you can get to 200whp. You get at least 10hp per psi most of the time on this engine.Most people can go up to 12psi on the 1zz motor, after that it is risky. The rods are very thin , and it is easy to screw up on this 10:1 compression ratio motor. I have gone allthe way up to 15psi with race gas and W/i, and I was starting to mis fire. Our computer is really smart, and will pull timing via the knock sensor, so there are some safety features in the stock ecu. The turboed Vibe is a fun car to drive, and is more fun to drive than a lot of other cars,even ones that are turboed from the factory, and I cant really explain that, but you would have to drive one to see
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
SuperSpeedWagon

Re: (Faultline)

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

thats a pretty quick vibe you have there faultline good job i would have to say everyones have to go time there cars before the year ends and lets see who is the fastest vibe i know im not but i would really like to know
2010 vibe gt
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i believe faultline was the ORIGINAL turbo'd vibe! glad to see he's still around and running!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
WENIS

Re: (Faultline)

Post by WENIS »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »Hey wenis, I dont have any slips, its been a a year or two since I have been to the track. My best time was a 14.8It was done at Lacr , which is in the desert at around 3k elevation. My 60ft was a poor 2.5 and my speed was 97 mph at the end of the 1/4.I was running 12 psi on stock internals.I have friends who hit the high 13's at the track in their wrx's that get 1.8 60ft times, but that I can beat on a roll in my turboed Vibe.My set up does not pull timing, it just adds a lot of fuel and I have a t3 turbo and an FMIC. I am not trying to make any outrageos claims, I am just letting you know what you can expect if you turbo your vibe. If you run at 8psi you can get to 200whp. You get at least 10hp per psi most of the time on this engine.Most people can go up to 12psi on the 1zz motor, after that it is risky. The rods are very thin , and it is easy to screw up on this 10:1 compression ratio motor. I have gone allthe way up to 15psi with race gas and W/i, and I was starting to mis fire. Our computer is really smart, and will pull timing via the knock sensor, so there are some safety features in the stock ecu. The turboed Vibe is a fun car to drive, and is more fun to drive than a lot of other cars,even ones that are turboed from the factory, and I cant really explain that, but you would have to drive one to see Sweet, that sounds about like what I was looking for... If they make a 2nd gen Vibe they damn well better have a GTP version I think a turbo Vibe would be loads of fun. What is your mileage though? Just curious what I'd be up against after mods.
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

Dang my gustimate wasn't far off as far as what the curves would look like... I used "CarTest", entered your cars specs, estimated what your mods & tune would have done and wham, slmost right on! Car test said your car would run 13.9 @ 98.02mph too I know you've run better, I just thought it was funny since it matched your sig.VS Nice car BTW, I love Legacy GT’s…
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

wow. that's pretty cool... just plugged in the #'s? is it a website or something???and actually my best run so far is 13.63 @98.4 mph. if the weather holds tomorrow morn, we're heading out to the last day at the track. gotta get some runs in to see how the unichip helps and i also took out my hoodscoop deflector thing (don't know the "technical" term) to see if it will help increase the air flow. we'll see. plus i got my boost guage installed, so i can hopefully get an idea of what the heck i'm doing when i launch! LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
WENIS

Post by WENIS »

It's a program you can download... enter a cars specs and it calculates it's performance, not just straight line performance, it'll run your car on various tracks too. You can set up drag races, and head to head races on a road course. It’s only as accurate as the info you enter though, but so far it’s been pretty close to real world results. I entered the specs for a stock SRT-4 and it said it should run 14.1’s @ 100mph which is pretty much what they average. Stage-1 specs yield high 13’s @ 103, which again is pretty much what they run (a few have run mid 13’s, but I’m sure they were flat shifting). It said a stock Legacy GT with an AT should run 14.5’s at 96mph but I couldn’t find any info to back this up… Click to download the free (older) version (runs in a DOS window).http://www.cartestsoftware.com...t.zipIt’s kind of fun to play with…
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

very very cool. yes, a stock MT LGT will run mid to high 14's. i ran mine stock, but best run was 15.03 (i had no clue what i was doing and it was my very first run ever). I'm sure i could have gotten it into the high 14's if i'd known a little more what i was doing.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by WENIS »Sweet, that sounds about like what I was looking for... If they make a 2nd gen Vibe they damn well better have a GTP version I think a turbo Vibe would be loads of fun. What is your mileage though? Just curious what I'd be up against after mods.I have never really check the mpg while driving boosted ..which is most of the time.While in boost, it uses a lot of gas. I run rich for safety, my afr's are like 11:1.The good news is that I can get really good MPG when I want. My turbo does not spool up till after 3k rpms. This means that for road trips, driving 75mph in 5th gear is not boosted. The car runs like stock while not in boost, nothing is changed at that point and if anything, runs better mpg because the air flow is so much better, and no extra fuel is added. All of my fuel enrichment only happens in boost. If I want good mpg, all I have to do is be slow on acceleration, and the mpg is identical or better than stock. After being boosted for over 3yrs... I only drive out of boost during freewy driving. It takes fuel to make power though..there is no way around that.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail