racing with Automatic....best way

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
BigWill

racing with Automatic....best way

Post by BigWill »

What is the best way to race in an automatic and get the most speed? 1st, 2nd, Drive? or just go from Drive? or Neutral, Drive?
My Vibe... 5% Smoke Tint;Pioneer DEH 7400MP; 2 Rockerdfos. tweet; one 10" woofer Rockerdfos; (updating now to; Volfenhag ZX-7160 800 Watt 4 Channel Amp, VOLFENHAG ZX-4710 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer-800 Watts)
NovaResource

Re: racing with Automatic....best way (BigWill)

Post by NovaResource »

I'd leave it in drive. The trans shift points are set to exactly 6400-rpm at full throttle so there is no need to shift manually. Allowing the base 1ZZ engine to rev over 6400-rpm won't gain you anything (that I've found) and could possibly hurt your acceleration but hitting the rev limiter.
slbpsi63

Post by slbpsi63 »

Trade it in for a manual. lol J/K I agree with nova just put it in drive. My Vibe is my first Manual. I'm trying to learn to launch the car fast. I love the manual tranny I don't think I'll ever go back to anm auto.
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

I agree with the Drive gear. But if you want a good launch, you have to brake-torque it. Meaning you have to hold the brake while hitting th gas to raise your rpms, and once they are high enough, release the brake and get moving. This DOES put more wear on the trans, but thats the only way to keep up with a manual....
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
BigWill

Re: racing with Automatic....best way (silverawd26)

Post by BigWill »

if I could have gotten a stick I would have, but I could. (Wifey doesn't drive a stick) I just asked the best way to race an auto if I wanted to race it, that is all.
My Vibe... 5% Smoke Tint;Pioneer DEH 7400MP; 2 Rockerdfos. tweet; one 10" woofer Rockerdfos; (updating now to; Volfenhag ZX-7160 800 Watt 4 Channel Amp, VOLFENHAG ZX-4710 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer-800 Watts)
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:if I could have gotten a stick I would have, but I could. (Wifey doesn't drive a stick) I just asked the best way to race an auto if I wanted to race it, that is all.LOL. Same here bro. I love driving a manual, but she hates them. Being our only vehicle, I had no choice so I understand what you mean.Check out the racing section of the forums. It has all kinds of personal experiences, tips, and tricks you can learn about.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
PBFlash

Re: racing with Automatic....best way (silverawd26)

Post by PBFlash »

Using the search feature I found this thread: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=2217
Satellite Vibe GTMoons and Tunes Package with 6-Disc In Dash CD, Safety/Security/Power Packages, cargo mat. 35% tint all around (except windshield)18 in Motegi Racing MR8 Wheels/Nitto NT 555 225/40ZR-18 tiresStainless Steel Exhaust TipInjen CAIPics of my Vibe CarDomain.com