First time to the track w/ stock LGT

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
AKLGT

First time to the track w/ stock LGT

Post by AKLGT »

Went to the track Sunday. was a fun day racing. these are times i wish i'd really gotten the manny tranny vs the auto. i just couldn't spool up at launch so had to just floor it and hope that i could make up that time from the beginning. Ran pretty much stock except a gutted uppipe. no engine management so i couldn't even get full usage of that either. best time run was the very first of the day against an older mustang 5.0. barely (and i mean barely) beat him 15.03 vs 15.07! then raced a detonating STI with 500 lbs of stereo equipment in his trunk. i hit 15.16 and he was in the 16's. unfortunately his car was leaking some bad oil in his BOV, so he was done for most of the day. lucky for me since he let me use his helmet for the remainder of my runs. lol. raced a 2500 HD and beat him (like i wouldn't), and was spanked by a few muscle cars running 12's, another stock STI (non-detonating but surprising only lost by less than a second since he didn't know how to drive it), and our friend's modded WRX who was running mid 13's (but quite unhappy because he changed the maps in his tuning ECM, was getting much better results before like 12.9!). Tons of pics b/w mine and phil's cameras. got plenty of video, but can't host it so sorry. http://photobucket.com/albums/...2005/
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mase

Re: First time to the track w/ stock LGT (trdvibe)

Post by Mase »

Dang, that's a nice looking track with the mountains in the background and all.Decent times for a first timer in your stock car. It's about as quick as some of the modded out n.a Matrix and Corolla XRS's I've seen though . Similar trap speeds too! I know turbo Subies have a lot of potential with a few easy mods. I'm sure by this time next year you'll be hitting low 14's.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

he he. i liked this guy's ram air hood. too bad he was still only getting in the 15's. if i'd have raced him, i'd have won. lost against another STI, but i figured so. and glad i didn't have to race one of these guys!this green chevy was getting in the 9's. it was so fast, that when he launched, his front tires would come off the ground!!! and of course lots and lots of RICE!he he. there's the mustang i beat (in the middle). of course his best time was 15.01. good thing i didn't race him then! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Re: First time to the track w/ stock LGT (Mase)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mase »Dang, that's a nice looking track with the mountains in the background and all.Decent times for a first timer in your stock car. It's about as quick as some of the modded out n.a Matrix and Corolla XRS's I've seen though . Similar trap speeds too! I know turbo Subies have a lot of potential with a few easy mods. I'm sure by this time next year you'll be hitting low 14's.there's a guy in a stage 2 LGT manual that is hitting 13.1!! and another guy in an auto getting about 13.3. he can torque brake and is used to racing. i'm too afraid to blow up my tranny so i could only rev it up to about 1000 rpm, probably didn't even do anything. lol. if i had a boost guage it'd help.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mase

Re: First time to the track w/ stock LGT (trdvibe)

Post by Mase »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »i'm too afraid to blow up my tranny so i could only rev it up to about 1000 rpm, probably didn't even do anything. lol. if i had a boost guage it'd help. With my auto Grand Am GT, I usually stand on the brake then floor it as soon as the other car is staged. It usually revs up to around 3k before I have to release the brake for the 2nd yellow. It's floored for only a second or 2. I've seen some subies get amazing launches. Gotta love AWD!I know it's a completely different car with only 175hp/200tq, but it's something to think about.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, with the turbo, i'm told i have to be very careful with torque braking. but that's a thought. i'm told i should also get an oil pan cooler? or something like that. or maybe it's a transmission cooler. lol. i don't know. mike, the guy in the blue bugeye WRX is a tech there at subie, so he gives me good advice on what to do and NOT do.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ArcsVibe

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by ArcsVibe »

What a beautiful track Hope! Great pictures I had a Capri RS that looked like that old Mustang, boy was she fast
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

someone ran a saturn ls sedan. it was funny. i think it was in the 17's so must have been stock. we're planning to take mav's vibe next spring to run it stock before we add his CAI, exhaust and unichip. then run it again and see what kind of difference it makes. or run it with exhaust first then add the cai and unichip since that can be done within an hour AT the track.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

you know... I wonder how much of a good time you actually had as all you did was complain about not having this or that lol... be happy with your stock turbo 250 HP car... really now... those cars in the 12s and 7 times are definatly not street legal and imagine the fuel costs...Anyway... I'm not expecting anything overly great with the Vibe on the track... maybe in the 17 like the saturn.But it was a fun day, nice weather, little chilly. Some nice and some weird cars out there haha.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
drunkenmaxx

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »you know... I wonder how much of a good time you actually had as all you did was complain about not having this or that lol...sucks seeing all those cars that are faster huh? dont feel bad for running 17's mav, mine would prob run like a 18 or 19!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Mavrik

Re: (drunkenvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

haha well I don't even know if I'd get in the 17 time or not. Man there was one car almost breaking into 6 second times.there is always a faster car then yours out there. I've accepted it lol.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »there is always a faster car then yours out there. I've accepted it lol.indeed!there is no other car out there as cool as mine though. it's the only one in the world i own.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »indeed!there is no other car out there as cool as mine though. it's the only one in the world i own. *cough* well... come on now I believe my car is a tad cooler... specially up here in alaska. Its the only one of its kind.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik » Man there was one car almost breaking into 6 second times.damn! i would have to have a potty chair instead of a seat!
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »damn! i would have to have a potty chair instead of a seat! smaller version of the larger dragster... this one set the clock at :7:34 something over 140mph...
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »you know... I wonder how much of a good time you actually had as all you did was complain about not having this or that lol... be happy with your stock turbo 250 HP car... really now... those cars in the 12s and 7 times are definatly not street legal and imagine the fuel costs...Anyway... I'm not expecting anything overly great with the Vibe on the track... maybe in the 17 like the saturn.But it was a fun day, nice weather, little chilly. Some nice and some weird cars out there haha.i don't recall complaining that much aside from wanting a few mods, but sure. whatever. guess i'll just go by myself next time. and looks like i'm gonna be auto-xing sunday as well since GTjilly has called me out. lol. i need to practice torque braking. i almost gave myself whiplash using my left foot on the brake rather than the right!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (desert_dweller)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by desert_dweller »Oh Boy this always turns out nice. So quick to jump to conclusions... why I bother saying anything anymore... *zips the lip*
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

*rolling eyes*who cares. it was fun. wish i had more mods, but this way i can see how they make a difference if at all. unfortunately, it's expensive for test and tune, $25 to race per person and $10-13 to spectate! that's insane! and now, going to auto-x on Sunday. wonder how much they are gonna rape us on that too. and people wonder why i never got into the racing or sport part of it.next on the mod list will be a front strut bar (ebay cheapy), then saving up for a Cobb Access Port (chip) by next Spring. maybe i will also get some springs for the car (hint hint christmas and birthday around the corner... ).
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ha ha! no, but wish i had because then i'd have won! i won 3, lost 4 and defaulted on 1 (but i'd have lost that one so i guess it's better to default?). hadn't figured out the whole staging process yet. lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Kari

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »smaller version of the larger dragster... this one set the clock at :7:34 something over 140mph...Probably a roadster. I've seen dragsters run the 1/8th mile in 5 seconds and change...fast but still not as fast as top fuel...now THAT is an experience just to watch...330 mph, and so much power to the ground you can't even focus your eyes because of the vibration.As for the wheels coming off the ground on the green car...that's not unusual for certain designs of drag cars, and it's not always a mark of speed, moreso just a mark of them wanting it to do a wheelstand when it takes off. If you can get a picture of the wheelstand, the torque will often cause one wheel to be higher than the other and make the car look like it's twisted, pretty cool.Which drag strip is that? Looks beautiful...NHRA or IHRA?
GenVibe Global Moderator
AKLGT

Re: (Kari)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »As for the wheels coming off the ground on the green car...that's not unusual for certain designs of drag cars, and it's not always a mark of speed, moreso just a mark of them wanting it to do a wheelstand when it takes off. If you can get a picture of the wheelstand, the torque will often cause one wheel to be higher than the other and make the car look like it's twisted, pretty cool.Which drag strip is that? Looks beautiful...NHRA or IHRA?ha ha. i don't know! it's just... a track!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Kari

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »ha ha. i don't know! it's just... a track! It doesn't have a name painted on the wall or anything? LOL
GenVibe Global Moderator
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

it's called alaska raceway park. that's all i know.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Kari

Post by Kari »

It's IHRA then International Hot Rod Association...man if it wouldn't be such a chore to haul everything up there and if it's a 1/4 mile track, they should hold a national event up there. The backdrop is beautiful. http://www.akracewaypark.com
GenVibe Global Moderator
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yes the back drop is gorgeous. one of the last nice days of the summer i'm afraid. going back out this sunday for auto-x it seems.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »well, with the turbo, i'm told i have to be very careful with torque braking.I am confused on this... Lots of people do this in auto and manual trans vechicles.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »ha ha! no, but wish i had because then i'd have won! i won 3, lost 4 and defaulted on 1 (but i'd have lost that one so i guess it's better to default?). hadn't figured out the whole staging process yet. lolNo you wouldn't have... If you had whatever mods, then you may havebeen able to win against the tractor. But no way in hell can any unmoified Subaru keep up with a tractor such as that. Sorry.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re: (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by MiVibe-ToolGuy »I am confused on this... Lots of people do this in auto and manual trans vechicles. Yes they do. Seen it done many a' times!

Image Image
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »ha ha! no, but wish i had because then i'd have won! i won 3, lost 4 and defaulted on 1 (but i'd have lost that one so i guess it's better to default?). hadn't figured out the whole staging process yet. lolWell technicly you didn't lose. cars were paired up but you were only going for times. It was not an actual race which is why your car had T&T (Test and Tune. Some of the people there were actually racing for time slips and in competitions. But not the T&T people.
AKLGT

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Yes they do. Seen it done many a' times!well it's not that it CAN'T be done, it's that i don't want to detonate my transmission. i want to be able to torque brake without screwing anything up.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Well technicly you didn't lose. cars were paired up but you were only going for times. It was not an actual race which is why your car had T&T (Test and Tune. Some of the people there were actually racing for time slips and in competitions. But not the T&T people.ok, well whatever. the point is, when you have to race some guy running 12's it kinda sucks. lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Blah, everything doesn't have to be a competition... Just go out and enjoy what you have. You don't have to have something faster than everyone else to still be able to enjoy your car.

Image Image
binary

Re: First time to the track w/ stock LGT (Mase)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by Mase »Dang, that's a nice looking track with the mountains in the background and all.The track closest to me has two nuclear water cooling towers in it's backdrop... it's very... Simpson'ish Looks like a blast though! It's fun racing cars you know are faster - but win because you know how to drive. w00t!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Blah, everything doesn't have to be a competition... Just go out and enjoy what you have. You don't have to have something faster than everyone else to still be able to enjoy your car. i'm competitive. that's all there is to it. i don't like to lose, but know that sometimes, it's inevitable and that i can't win. oh well. i get on with it. i had a good time, wish i could've figured out launching, but now i have a little more experience for the next time. i do enjoy my car, no doubt.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »well it's not that it CAN'T be done, it's that i don't want to detonate my transmission. i want to be able to torque brake without screwing anything up. I guess that is what I was looking for because you did not state that in the beginning... I refer to it as shocking the trans but I think your trans could handle it since the engines not making 500 HP and torque and you do not do it every time you drive. All you really have to do is get the revs up to spool the turbo while keeping your foot on the brake. Not flooring it completely, than dumping the brake.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ok, sorry, i didn't clarify very well. one of the wrx guys has an unused transmission cooler he's going to give me, it just needs a mounting kit and some hoses i guess. i'll check w/ one of the techs (has mini install meets at his place all the time) to see if he knows what i'll need. and if i knew the wrx boost guage would fit on my LGT, then one of the other guys is selling his for pretty cheap. who knows. really, i want to save up my $$$ for ECM mod. that'll give me the best bang for the buck. plus, i hear it has an economy mode that will give me the most fuel efficiency! nice!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »i'm competitive. that's all there is to it. :I did not know that! hehe

Image Image
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

what? you didn't know that? hey, whatever works for me to motivate me to be the best at what i do..... plus, in commission based sales careers, it helps a lot.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Gee, no, I never made the connection....

Image Image
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ha ha ha! well, the nice thing is, the subie guys are great. they handle all my lame questions and prying of info. i've still not gotten a ride in an STI yet, but did manage one in a modded EVO and modded WRX.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

well the modded wrx now has tranny probs...
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Get out! The tranny died on a modified car or is in the process of dying? See, stock isn't so terrible after all. I guess I'm jealous, I can't mod anything on my car, it's already falling apart as it is. (removed)!

Image Image
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

at least if your car is going to detonate, it should be for good reason! (removed)!but which car is that one? justin's silver one or mike's?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »at least if your car is going to detonate, it should be for good reason! (removed)!Yeah, like explosives in the back seat. That's the way it oughta be, the good ol' fashioned way.

Image Image
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

like in "third watch" just without blowing up people.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

I think he was refering to some sort of sexual reference and not nitro exploding and blowing people in half...the bugeye being sold with parts swapped at Jerry's. Jerry told me it was having trans problems, WRX typical 1-2 gear stripped.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

whatever. then should refer to "saturday night fever"
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I think he was refering to some sort of sexual reference and not nitro exploding and blowing people in half...Um, no, I don't think so... The word detonate was mentioned, so I was thinking my Vibe exploding, and that would be due to explosives in the back seat detonating. Nothing kinky about it. It's just how I feel sometimes. Granted it would really suck if that actually happened, and I wouldn't honestly want to see that happen to the car, but you know...

Image Image
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

well you can keep your kinky detonating feelings in the back of your Vibe lol
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yeah, that's fine. I go now. Thank you drive through.

Image Image