Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt?

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
VibeAF314

Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt?

Post by VibeAF314 »

So in September I'm going to start autocrossing my gt. My dad and I are going to start out with putting just a ram air intake deal. I'd really hate to go all out as a novice and then get creamed. In fact, with that many sharp turns, I can't see many effective mods outside of the intake, low-profile tires with racing wheels, etc. If anyone has some experience soloing their vibe in an autocross event, could you give a little help, maybe some tips. Even some personal experiences/stories from autocrossing a vibe could be included. I hear they do a fairly decent job.http://www.nhscc.com/photo.htm <---Go under 2004 and click on the video to see a video of the course.
JohnC

Re: Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt? (VibeAF314)

Post by JohnC »

I autocrossed years ago, started with a Datsun 510 then went thru numereous z-cars. I would suggest contacting the local club and joining it, they will have great advice for you. Check on the mods that you can do while still staying in the "stock" class. Get a set of good sticky tires with light weight rims and only use them on the course. Heavy matched front/rear sway bars are a big help. Work on handling and learning to drive first before spending all your money to eek out a couple horses from the engine. Suspension, tires and ability will get your ET down the most cost effective. Race against YOUR best time to improve your driving ability the fastest.Be ready to replace brake pads and clutch plates. Have fun! EDITOn second thought I would suggest buying a used Dodge Neon to race and keeping your Vibe as your fast/fun to drive DEPENDABLE street car. The more you do to your Vibe to make a good autocrosser the worse it will be to drive on the street. Don't even get me started on them solid motor mounts...You can pick up a used Neon very cheap, there are many new and used aftermarket parts, and the better models handle great right from the factory. I think the rear suspension is far superior to the Vibe's. Check out Neon.org they are a good bunch of people, much like this site.http://www.neons.org/
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Mavrik

Re: Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt? (JohnC)

Post by Mavrik »

Neon or Subaru WRX... both seem to have about the same handling and mods are easy and plentiful for both.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Psychobroker

Re: Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt? (JohnC)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »Don't even get me started on them solid motor mounts...Not to get you started, but what do you mean?
JohnC

Re: Anyone have tips on autocrossing a vibe gt? (Psychobroker)

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by Psychobroker »Not to get you started, but what do you mean?They make the whole car vibrate and rattle, that is why oem use rubber, it isolates the engine from the chassis. Unfortunately with the hard shifting during drag or autocross racing the rubber tears or seperates, then the motor flops around (you can feel it when shifting). On my Neon I filled the mounts with 3M Windshield sealant, that kept them from moving too much and still dampened the motor somewhat. If you are going to auto cross you need to prepare your car the day before. Such as swapping wheel/tires/motor mounts, removing spare tire and any other unnecessary wieght, change front pads and try to have no more than a 1/4 tank of fuel. I usually ran smaller diameter tires for better overall gear ratio and lower center of gravity. Everything helps.
marlborocowboy82

Post by marlborocowboy82 »

I solo 2 my gt some tips look ahead if you look where you want the car your will power will get it thereroll on and off the throttle it's no an on/off switchdon't hit lift in a slalom because when you have to lift of the throttle the car will get up setdo all your slowing down/braking before the turn and accelerate threw the turn you have 4 runs so just progressively get aggressive and attack the courseand maybe find a veteran to ride with you the first run to point you where to go so you don't get lost in a sea of orange and work before your heatand if you don't hit any cones your not giving it your all you have to push the car past it's limits to know where they areand above all have lot's of fun scaring the crap out of some conesYou will be in GS and you will shock the hell out of some Celica gt when you run the same times as them
Mavrik

Re: (marlborocowboy82)

Post by Mavrik »

you got any pics of you in motion on autocross?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
marlborocowboy82

Mavrik

Re: (marlborocowboy82)

Post by Mavrik »

Sweet thanks. ppl have been trying to talk me into trying autorcross with my Vibe but sure it looks fun but my car is still a daily driver.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yes, and if i can't mod my car, then you can only mod your car as to what we agreed...... fair's fair! but i think after re-installing the CAI that's sitting in the box since May, adding a magnaflow exhaust (if that ever gets done) and retuning the unichip (also TBA??) then you should be in a good spot for autocrossing anyways.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

should be since I never mentioned doing any more mods now did I? Mike and Jake at work keep wanting me to autocross. They run their BMWs and WRX.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

*rolling eyes* then why don't you? already told you i'd go if you wanted to do it.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »*rolling eyes* then why don't you? already told you i'd go if you wanted to do it. you missread, they want me to go and enter my car.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

no i didn't misread. i know exactly what you said. obviously if i already stated that with the cai, exhaust, and retuned unichip (once all of the above are ACTUALLY done), you should be in a good position to do well in it. just as a few of the NASIOC members are trying to talk me into doing it with the LGT.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

ah well not gonna do it with the Vibe cause I'll smoke my tires, brakes and clutch... can't afford new parts.
AKLGT

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »ah well not gonna do it with the Vibe cause I'll smoke my tires, brakes and clutch... can't afford new parts. which is also why i've no interest in it. expensive to replace all those parts! i'll just watch then, or find someone else's car to autox. lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
marlborocowboy82

while every course is diffrent but it's really only hard on your tires not the brakes not the clutch just the tires and i've seen a stock lagacy gt acuto cross wow it's quiet and quick beat me buy three seconds last time but i suck
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »which is also why i've no interest in it. expensive to replace all those parts! i'll just watch then, or find someone else's car to autox. lolI have seen many rental cars on the track, thought it would be funny to leave the numbers on the window when turning it back in.
marlborocowboy82

Re: (JohnC)

yeah that would be funny now i should rent an elise
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

lol. well, i've seen a few folks up here do that.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Psychobroker

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »yes, and if i can't mod my car, then you can only mod your car as to what we agreed...... fair's fair! but i think after re-installing the CAI that's sitting in the box since May, adding a magnaflow exhaust (if that ever gets done) and retuning the unichip (also TBA??) then you should be in a good spot for autocrossing anyways. Fair would be adding a turbo
Mavrik

Re: (Psychobroker)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by Psychobroker »Fair would be adding a turbo Amen brother.
AKLGT

Re: (Psychobroker)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Psychobroker »Fair would be adding a turbo fair would be allowing me to be unemployed and play on the computer for 4 months. then complain about how slow my car is.....
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
jonathonbarton

Post by jonathonbarton »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »ah well not gonna do it with the Vibe cause I'll smoke my tires, brakes and clutch... can't afford new parts. Quote, originally posted by TRDVibe »which is also why i've no interest in it. expensive to replace all those parts! i'll just watch then, or find someone else's car to autox. lolA year later, I'm looking back through the various posts here, and what do I find?Famous.Last.Words.
drunkenmaxx

Re: (jonathonbarton)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

ha there are like a million pics of both of them autocrossing now! never say never!(he he, i never noticed the unemployed/playing video game comment)
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

hahha, and they are both having a great time autoX'ing with beautiful backgrounds! i need mountains
drunkenmaxx

Re: (northvibe)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

>how about these mountains big fella?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

HAHHA, >how bout these guns from the gun show
Mavrik

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »ha there are like a million pics of both of them autocrossing now! never say never!(he he, i never noticed the unemployed/playing video game comment)Well I had to try it and see how it was, figured once out would not hurt and it didn't so I continued doing it.Yeah funny how she likes to say how I sat on my (removed) for a few months unemployed which was NOT because I did not want to work. It was because I could not work and in order to do paperwork to get a green card so I could, well I had to be here to do it. So I left my job and moved. What else was I suppose to do other then watch tv and play games all day? lol but you never hear that part of it. I'm always made out to look like some lazy all I wanna do is nothing all day kinda guy Haven't autocrossed in a while... kinda miss it. No events lately.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

nah man, i wasn't implying that it was true, i was just taken back by the fact that it was even posted at all.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

hey just noticed your name change lol... now your not DV... your DM
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

ha! indeed i am!-OT-so, does autocross really not damage your car? of course, tires are a given, but what about your suspension? is it really rough on it? (just curious, you can't autocross in a frickin' maxx)
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Not really damaging at all. I mean for mine anyway but its not stock. Sure you get some body roll when turning but the car can easily handle that. Its when you do a lot of understeer or cornering faster then the tires can handle which causes some issues and mainly in the tires. The parking lots are smooth enough thats its not a rough bumpy ride. Now if it was Auto-X on race courses and what not, those can harm a car pretty easily. Brakes are an issue as well if you ride those a lot. On an average course driven correctly your car is fine. I bet your Maxx would like it... well maybe not the tires. The Grand Prix GT I had for a rental sucked in handling/performance and tires... I was surprised.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

the maxx wouldn't be very good at all. the turning radius is pretty wide and it weighs 3400 pounds. not to mention, the electronic steering just isn't right for performance driving, you can't feel the road at all. now if there were performance mods available, i could have a little fun.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to autocross your maxx, DM ( LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

oops, in my above post, i meant to say i could have fun in the quarter...to autoX, i would at least need to lower it and get lower profile tires. even though it has 16's on it, there is a considerable ammount of rubbber. springs are available for it, but like the vibe, i won't sacrifice the smooth ride.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ah i see. ya, for autox, you could get away with sway bars really. and i am running my stock all season tires (there will be nothing left after the thrashing they have endured from me this year). one of the other members took her 05 LGT completely stock and autox'd it. Said it was fine, body roll was a bit, but then again, she can DRIVE! holy crap! not like me... still learning.i think it'd be cool to just try it once completely STOCK just to see what your car can do in all it's factory glory and splendor. you know, basicly what the car mags do, take it on a "road" or "course" test yourself.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
jonathonbarton

Post by jonathonbarton »

Quote »to autoX, i would at least need to lower it and get lower profile tires. even though it has 16's on it, there is a considerable ammount of rubbber. springs are available for it, but like the vibe, i won't sacrifice the smooth ride.Excuses are like arsoles...everyone has one...You can autocross ANYTHING - EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS... Seat Time is what makes you faster, not low profile tires, lightweight wheels, cold air intakes, or lowering springs - those just put you in more competitive classes before you have enough seat time to know what you're doing enough to be competitive.Bone Stock 2003 Vibe GT - 340 Treadwear Rating Street Tires.Bone stock 1985 MR2 - Check out them very tired 260 Treadwear 185/*70*R14 tires...Bone Stock 2004 RX-8 - again, 340 Treadwear rating street tires - Took home the 1st Place Trophy in the class.2002 Lexus IS300Hoosier Race TiresTRD "Yellow" Front BarKosei K-1 Race lightweight wheelsKoni Adjustable shocksI took dead effin last in the class.And, finally, if you don't believe you can autocross ANYTHING...Anything at all...Cars that I don't have pictures of...but wish I did...Lincoln LS in GSMercedes S500 with dealer tags on it (it was a $125,000 car at the time..)Just get in it and drive the wheels off...Before you turn a single wrench on your car, you need to tighten the nut behind the wheel.
drunkenmaxx

Re: (jonathonbarton)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

sure, you can autoX any car. just like you can drag race in a stock geo metro.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ha ha! good one, DM!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS