AutoBahn Driving

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
AbyssGT03

AutoBahn Driving

Post by AbyssGT03 »

I just got back to Germany with my Vibe, after being in Iraq for a year. So far I haven't pushed as hard as I can, but bone stock I have hit 132mph in 5th Gear. At that speed I was pushing around 7200 RPM. I had to slow down because of traffic. I will keep you posted...
DaddyVibeMI

Post by DaddyVibeMI »

Wow! 132 mph!! Sure that is pretty fast.
Car Domain.com ~ DaddyVibeMI
bud_one

Re: AutoBahn Driving (AbyssGT03)

Post by bud_one »

Awsome....!!! Welcome to Genvibe....
Mase

Post by Mase »

Highways out here in the desert are usually so empty that I can drive that speed safely...but legally is another question .Shift to 6th after you hit the governor and you should be able to set the cruise control at around 135mph/220kph @ 6000 revs. Just be safe and make sure your tires can handle it.
esjones

Post by esjones »

Quote, originally posted by AbyssGT03 »I just got back to Germany with my Vibe, after being in Iraq for a year. So far I haven't pushed as hard as I can, but bone stock I have hit 132mph in 5th Gear. At that speed I was pushing around 7200 RPM. I had to slow down because of traffic. I will keep you posted...WOW! That sounds pretty cool! How stable was the Vibe at that speed? I have done some Autobahn driving in Germany a few times. The worst rental car I had was a French-built Ford (roughly equivalent to the German Merkur that was sold here in the US for a while) that got kinda' squirrelly at about 110 MPH.My best two experiences in Autobahn driving were in a Mercedes A-class (rock-solid at 120+ MPH) and a Volvo V70 wagon that I had pushing 140 (hey... I was running late for my flight at the Flughafen!).
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
AbyssGT03

Post by AbyssGT03 »

Thanks for the encouragement! I will try not to end up a grease spot on the highway!! heheThe car is very stable at speeds of 100+, in fact I was surprized. Many of my friends with American cars talked about air lifting the front in of American cars up and causing it to wonder over the road. German cars in General sit lower than American cars, and is notice on most of the cars I have seen by 1 to 2 inches. I don't have a wing or suspension lowering kit and it handles fine. I am running stock Goodyear RSA's that came with the car. They seem to handle and run corners and high speeds great. I don't know about a govenor on the car, as I frequently hit 8000 rpm with no problems. I am curious to see what speed I can hit in 6th gear at 7200 rpm. Oh...and I run only Mobile 1 in the engine. Have considered running Royal Purple racing oil, which is suppose to be very good to.I am going to go to Nurburing (spelling) (race track in Germany near Belgium) as I understand you can run street cars on it. If you do a search on the web you can find it, there are a couple of great sights.Thanks!!!!!!!
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I just read an article (Import Tuner, May 05) about engine oils and it recomends NOT using racing oil on your daily driver. Racing oil does not have the detergents like street oils do. Part of the oils job is to keep the engine clean. And racing oil is designed for engines constantly running at high temperatures.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

DAYUM!130+!That's INSANE!I've had mine up near the 90-95 mark, never for very long, and it feels VERY unstable to me...Granted, that could have something to do with our roads, but who knows.My tires lately seem to be a bit shaky too...almost feels like the sidewalls are flexing. I gotta check the pressures and the tread, they could be nearing the end of their life.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

i have had my gt up to 125 and it handled sweetly hardly any "hopping". i was following a friend in a 75 camaro and he was all over the road. the vibe was just rolling along smooth
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
AbyssGT03

Post by AbyssGT03 »

UPDATEI my VIBE GT hit 138 three days ago! Ok, I was drafting a Mercedes and we were going down a shallow hill...but it did it. Oh ya, 6th Gear at that speed won't accelerate because of the drag.
Mase

Post by Mase »

Awesome. Welcome to the 138 club . I'm just curious...are cars still trying to pass you even when you're topped out at 138mph on the autobahn?
Psychobroker

Re: AutoBahn Driving (Mase)

Post by Psychobroker »

138 is nuts the fastest I've taken my GT was 129 (very stupid of me at the time), but it was 100% stable...felt like driving 90