Whats Faster Vibe SC or Vibe GT???

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
korax123

Whats Faster Vibe SC or Vibe GT???

Post by korax123 »

What are the 1/4 mile times for the Vibe 5sp Supercharged I know it will be better off the line then the GT. Should I wait to order a SC Vibe or just Buy a GT soon??? Im uncertain I know it will cost about the same. I would eventually want to make my Vibe pretty fast but i know FI is hard on the 11.5:1 compression on the GT engine but I want that VVTL-I hehe. Suggestions please
Chris

Re: Whats Faster Vibe SC or Vibe GT??? (korax123)

Post by Chris »

What do you like to drive? A 'torquer' or a 'screamer'?Typically a SC car will have it's grunt in the lower rev ranges whilst the naturally asperated GT has most of it's power North of 6000 rpm. I'd suggest a SC Vibe would be faster 'around town' as you need less "planning" to go fast.. most of the power being around 3ish grand (just a guess).
Chris Car: Base Abyss Vibe 5 spd + Mags & Power Pkg - no modsBike: Suzuki GSXR1100 4xK&N's V&H pipe and headers
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

A SC base vibe will be faster...Period. It has more horsepower through the whole powerband, and it has gobs more torque in the low end. The GT has the 6-speed, but it matters not since it will be out-classed in power altogether.A GT with an aftermarket turbo would be faster, but no way a stock GT would win against a SC. But as said before, it's all about what YOU want, not the ricer-fan club. Pick what suits you and run with it.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

I have a 5spd now, and I plan to either turbo it , or supercharge it I did not buy the vibe to have a sports car, but i found it so much fun, that all I wa nt to do is zoom around in it! I must admit though, that my 200hp windstar is faster.But I never feel compelled to zoom around in that car! I reluctantly admit that the sensation and appearance of speed is most important to me. The vibe is more fun! If I had to do over again, I might buy a gt over even a sc base vibe!I like the high revs and the top end speeds. I would bet, that i would find the gt more fun to drive.Also remember,that a far as price comparisons , the gt comes with alloy rims and abs brakes,as standard.If you are going to force induct any way , dont get the gt , 11.5 to 1 commpression for this is miserable Im not all that excited about turbo ing the 1zz-fe with 10.0 :1 compression. and the gt can get over 200hp if you do all the usuall mods: CAI, new exhaust etc..but.... if your a racer who needs to launch quickly...get the sc vibe Good vibrationsfaultline
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
NovaResource

Re: Whats Faster Vibe SC or Vibe GT??? (Flip-Side)

Post by NovaResource »

I agree with Flip-side: a base with a S/C will be faster than a stock GT. However, add a S/C or turbo to a GT and it's unclear who will be quicker.The GT engine has higher compression and will not allow too much added pressure without internal mods (this is why the S/C is not available for the GT). This means a base with forced induction will have a greater increase than a GT with forced induction because you can give the base more pressure.Estimates are about 35% increase in power where the GT with forced induction (an no internal mods) will probably have about half that (possibly a 20% increase). That puts the base torque at 170-tq and the GT torque at 150-tq. Horsepower would be 175-base, 215-GT. This would get the base moving quicker and possibly a quicker ET but the GT would be catching up (and possible passing the base) and having a higher trap speed.