went autocrossing!

Discussion of LEGAL Vibe & Matrix racing events, autocross, drag racing, closed track road racing, and technical racing aspects. [Disclaimer]
5lbsofswisscheese

went autocrossing!

Post by 5lbsofswisscheese »

I went to an autocross event last saturday with a guy who's a member at matrixowners.com, and I had a blast. It was at Mineral Wells municipal airport in north Texas. The course was huge, 1.15 miles long according to the event master, and was very fast. The most exciting thing was that I sucked less than two people! I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you're a novice, you take what you can get! Results are up at http://autocross.com/er/cc904.htm#n. Somebody took pictures of the event too! You can see the ones with the Vibe racing at http://www.autocrosspictures.n....html towards the bottom of the page.I'm really excited about the whole exerience. I had a lot of fun, got to ride in a couple of people's STS class cars, and I learned a bit more about my car's handling, too. Of course, now I want to seriously modify my car's suspension. But that will have to wait until the spring.
2004 Fusion Vibe GTMoon & Tunes, 6-CD changer, 17" Wheels, Power Package35% tint17"x7" Enkei 5+ wheels, 215/50/R17 Fuzion Zri tires(Goodbye to the old '03 Neptune GT! I'll always have the radio to remember it by.)
nismo

Re: went autocrossing! (5lbsofswisscheese)

Post by nismo »

Hey man,At least you can see is that you tried. And You did pretty good for the first time. Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
drummerdude

Post by drummerdude »

Where is that airport? I'm in Waxhachie and would love to check that out sometime!
2006 MazdaSpeed6 GT which is for sale if anyone is interested...
5lbsofswisscheese

Post by 5lbsofswisscheese »

It's about an hour west of Fort Worth. There are several groups that run autocross events there, at Pennington Field in the midcities, and at Texas Motor Speedway.
2004 Fusion Vibe GTMoon & Tunes, 6-CD changer, 17" Wheels, Power Package35% tint17"x7" Enkei 5+ wheels, 215/50/R17 Fuzion Zri tires(Goodbye to the old '03 Neptune GT! I'll always have the radio to remember it by.)
jonathonbarton

Post by jonathonbarton »

It's gonna be my turn on the 28th... It was supposed to be last Sunday, but it snowed in Colorado Springs Saturday Night, and they cancelled... Good thing, too... Working Corner when it's 28*F and Misty sucks... Gonna race in G-Stock this time out, with the goal of getting competitive in Street Touring-S or Street Modified later down the road.Trying to talk the GF into maybe racing her Aerio in H-Stock, but I probably should wait to bring it up until after she breaks it in for that first 1000 miles...ya think? Either way, she'll be driving the Vibe on Sunday, too... I'll post results Sunday Night...
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Autocross racing sounds so cool! I want to try it too. I have heard that there is some organized autocross racing near the Pittsburgh International Airport. Supposed to be the old parking lot of a mall that has been closed down for some time now. They set up a course in the huge parking lot. I'll have to get some decent tires in the spring and do some suspension mods to the Vibe before I try to race it, but I'd really like to try it.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
jonathonbarton

Re: went autocrossing! (Stang2Vibe)

Post by jonathonbarton »

Race it stock, trust me...All the mods you can do to your car will be *nothing* like plain old seat time.Mods might get you a tenth here or a tenth there. And they'll likely push you right out of G-Stock and into Street Touring-S...which is a LOT more competitive...Suspension mods (anything beyond taking your car to Discount Tire and having them re-align the car to *your* specifications) will bounce you RIGHT out of stock class...**Tightening the nut behind the wheel can gain you FULL seconds on your time.**Which would *you* rather race as a noob...(Note, these are the Season results from the Pittsburgh area...)G-Stock list...Best to worst points listings...89 HONDA CRX04 MINI COOPER00 TOYOTA CELICA, 92 HONDA PRELUDE4e04 MINI COOPER S98 DODGE NEON00 ACURA INTEGRA01 DODGE NEON04 MINI COOPER S03 MINI COOPER S98 PLYMOUTH NEON92 HONDA PRELUDE04 ACURA RSX02 DODGE NEON03 VW GTI90 HONDA CRX03 COOPERS MINI03 ACURA RSX00 VW GTI04 MINI COOPER S98 PLYMOUTH NEON04 ACURA TL02 TOYOTA CELICA05 MINI COOPER S03 VW GOLF GTI96 ACURA INTEGRA GS04 MAZDA MIATA95 ACURA INTEGRA(All in stock condtion - save maybe a shock absorber swap, and a catback exhaust. No intake mods, no suspension mods, etc.)OR would you rather race...(all cars modded beyond what Stock classes allow)HONDA PRELUDEHONDA CIVIC00 ACURA INTEGRA98 PLYMOUTH NEON99 ACURA INTEGRA94 ACURA INTEGRA98 ACURA INTEGRAACURA INTEGRA00 DAEWOO LANOSVW GTI00 VW GTI01 HONDA PRELUDE99 HONDA CIVIC SI95 ACURA INTEGRA97 BMW 318i96 ACURA INTEGRA96 SUBARU IMPREZA99 ACURA INTEGRA91 HONDA PRELUDE91 HONDA PRELUDE00 SUBARU IMPREZA93 FORD PROBE01 TOYOTA CELICA GTSHONDA CIVIC90 HONDA CIVIC94 ACURA INT GSR93 NISSAN 240SX98 HONDA CIVIC92 TOYOTA PASEO00 SUBARU IMPREZA98 VW GTI00 SUBARU RS00 FORD FOCUS93 NISSAN02 HONDA CIVIC87 VW GTI90 AUDI COUPE QUA With PLENTY of mods available, including any suspension that mounts to the factory holes (adjustable Camber Plates, anyone?), Strut Tower bars, competition clutches, blah blah blah...G-Stock it is for me, man... Here's a link to your local autocrossing club, Stang...http://www.steelcities-scca.org/soloii.htmlAnd here's a link for everyone else...http://www.autocross.com/autoc/clublist.htmJB