Scion to possibly get Toyota Auris Wagon?

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
Toyotiaction

Scion to possibly get Toyota Auris Wagon?

Post by Toyotiaction »

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2014/06/ ... model.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"According to AutoGuide, Scion is most likely going to get a version of the European Auris hatchback. The five-door hatchback is more stylish than the current xB and xD models, which are expected to go away soon."

Read more at http://www.thetorquereport.com/2014/06/ ... clp3ETo.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is not a new Vibe. But I know years back that we all drooled that this might come here and be a good successor to our cars.

Heck! Just give us an FRS based sportwagon.

FIngers crossed.
People drive their cars to arrive at their next adventure. The truly great cars, are themselves an adventure.
Chiadog

Re: Scion to possibly get Toyota Auris Wagon?

Post by Chiadog »

2X on the FRS based sportwagon, but I don't think that will ever happen.
I think I'd be perfectly happy with the Auris Wagon! Assuming Toyota doesn't curse it with a low-tech power train!
Interesting Automotive times in North America. Soon we could see a Chevy Cruze wagon or hatch, Audi A3 diesel Hatch, VW Golf Sportwagon, and just maybe a Dodge Dart Hatch. Yippee!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Indeed, chiapup, these are interesting times to be a lover of the hatchback. I honestly think the Auris, while a bad replacement, will be the next best thing if the next Cruze doesn't fit the bill.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I agree kitt! The Auris will be "Corolla Light" but it may provide the utility and dependability I'm looking for in a Vibe replacement. Let's be honest, the Auris wouldn't have to break any new ground to beat the Vibe in refinement and comfort! That being said, I LOVE my VIBE, for what it is able to do for me; Not for how refined it is.
I believe the 2015 or 2016 Cruze is supposed to be getting a real Clean Diesel engine with a lot of torque, that may be interesting.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Cruze already had a REAL diesel engine
FarmerRick

Post by FarmerRick »

http://jalopnik.com/2016-scion-im-this-is-it-1694916199
The 2016 Scion iM Is The xB Replacement

I called the original iM concept Matrix Part Deux. That wasn't a dig. I actually liked the Matrix, and the concept was pretty damned handsome. But as always, the journey from show stand to showroom has wiped away any sense of style and replaced it with anodyne anonymity. What a shame. It's packing the miserly 1.8-liter, putting out 137 hp and 126 lb-ft of torque to the front wheels. That anemic grunt is sent to a seven-speed "automatic" that's actually a CVT with preset ratios. But there is a six-speed manual option, probably to get it below the $20,000 starting price Scion is promising.

Looks like a 1st gen Vibe to me. :)
“The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.”
― Thomas Jefferson
kostby

Post by kostby »

Agreed!

Toyota may have seen the 'light' finally. Very 1st gen Vibe-like styling cues (plus some cool boy-racer body kit stuff) with updated electronics and transmissions. Available with a 1.8l 138 hp 4 and either a 6-speed manual, rated at 27/36 manual, or a pseudo 7-speed CVT rated 30/37 CVT.

Unfortunately, with gas prices at historic lows, this car will basically rot on the back row at Scion dealerships without any attention from the Scion target "youth" market. Even at $20k, it's still too expensive for most young people with college loans and not much trade-in value in whatever they are driving now.

Instead, most of these will end up in the hands of 'oldsters' like me - 50+, and retired folks looking for an efficient, flexible, comfortable, relatively fun-to-drive 'economy' car with "Toyota-like" reliability, that doesn't start at $35,000. Pontiac caught "the Vibe" 13 years ago. Maybe Scion can now.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The wheels are a little too crazy looking for my liking, but other than that I'm digging the look of it. Very Vibe / Matrix-like!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Autoblog posted their driving impressions of the Scion iM today.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/29/2016 ... ve-review/

Seems inline with Vibe/Matrix owners have experienced.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
JPark

Post by JPark »

It's 7" shorter (height, not length) than the Vibe. That's likely a deal killer for me.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

JPark wrote:It's 7" shorter (height, not length) than the Vibe. That's likely a deal killer for me.
Much of that may be due to ride height but I haven't looked into it at all. What you probably need is to measure seat to roof height. (Was it you who hated not having enough space above your head in the HRV thread?)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
JPark

Post by JPark »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:
JPark wrote:It's 7" shorter (height, not length) than the Vibe. That's likely a deal killer for me.
Much of that may be due to ride height but I haven't looked into it at all. What you probably need is to measure seat to roof height. (Was it you who hated not having enough space above your head in the HRV thread?)
Yep, that's me. The Auris has 38.2" front headroom compared to the 40.6 in the Vibe. That's cutting things pretty darn close, but might work (assuming the North America model matches the Auris).
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

JPark wrote:
ImUrOBGYN wrote:
Yep, that's me. The Auris has 38.2" front headroom compared to the 40.6 in the Vibe. That's cutting things pretty darn close, but might work (assuming the North America model matches the Auris).
You know, from the sound of it, if you put your torso on my legs that new body would makes us rich playing for the NBA. :D
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Keep in mind that the Vibe is kinda lifted to stock height, because of the whole crossover-SUV obsession in the US.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit