Another recall coming?

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
DeClercq

Another recall coming?

Post by DeClercq »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... y-23250787
Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 6.39 million vehicles globally for a variety of problems spanning nearly 30 models in Japan, the U.S., Europe and other places.

No injuries or crashes have been reported related to the recalls announced Wednesday. But two reports of fires are linked to one of the problems, a defective engine starter that can keep the motor running.

Some vehicles were recalled for more than one problem. The recall cases total 6.76 million vehicles for 27 Toyota models, the Pontiac Vibe and the Subaru Trezia, produced from April 2004 through August 2013.

The Pontiac Vibe, which is a General Motors Co. model, is also involved because Toyota and GM made cars at the same plant in California and the recalled model is the same as the Toyota Matrix. It was recalled for a problem with a spiral cable attached to an air-bag. It is unrelated to a separate GM recall over ignition switches linked to at least 13 deaths.

Subaru is partly owned by Toyota, and the model was the same as the Toyota Ractis.

For the recall, Toyota also reported problems with seat rails, the bracket holding the steering column in place, the windshield-wiper motor and a cable attached to the air-bag module.

The recalls affect a large range of models, including the Corolla, RAV4, Matrix, Yaris, Highlander, and Tacoma.

By region, the latest recall affects 2.3 million vehicles in North America, 1.09 million vehicles in Japan and 810,000 vehicles in Europe. Other regions affected by the recall include Africa, South America and the Middle East.

Toyota was embroiled in a massive recall crisis in the U.S. starting in late 2009 and continuing through 2010, covering a wide range of problems including faulty floor mats, sticky gas pedals and defective brakes. In response, it has become quicker to recall cars and

Last month, the Japanese automaker reached a settlement with the U.S. Justice Department to pay a $1.2 billion penalty for hiding information about defects in its cars. It earlier paid fines of more than $66 million for delays in reporting unintended acceleration problems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration never found defects in electronics or software in Toyota cars, which had been targeted as a possible cause.

The focus in the U.S. auto industry has recently shifted to another major recall problem, this time with defective ignitions in compact cars made by GM.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
jolt

Re: Another recall coming?

Post by jolt »

Any news or updates about this recall from GM? If there will be a recall on the Vibe by GM and when it will occur?
Viburass

Post by Viburass »

I have called GM and Toyota for my 2010 Vibe GT and have gotten (from the GM dealer) no, yours isn't one with the air bag spiral cable problem...Well what I read was about 40.500 Vibes from 2009-10 (Chris Bruce 4/9/14 Auto Blog) are included in the "Toyota recall" Toyota will supply the parts to GM when they're available...Well guess what??? I contacted Rydell Chevrolet where I have the Vibe serviced...."Nope, your VIN doesn't come up as one of them"

AND TOYOTA!!! "Well that's a GM product.....!" I said, "You made it on the same line in Northern California, and it's your part you're supposed to be giving to GM..." Toyota, "Are you sure?" I said "You know, this is just what got you in deep doo doo in the past and now you're going to do it again....."

I do have a case # with Toyota and since they are making the new parts I guess there's no sense torching the barn @ GM until they get them...what a soup sandwich :evil:
jolt

Post by jolt »

So at this point in time, GM is ignoring Vibe owners with this latest recall. No details, no information, no updates for Vibe's. Anyone have any update as to what is happening with this recall? I think it would be good to post recall information here to keep other Vibe owners informed as to what is happening with Vibe recalls encase GM does not notify all Vibe owners.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I ran cross this site that owners may want to check: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/Vibe/2009/recalls/

Actions: Toyota will notify the Toyota vehicle owners, and General Motors will notify the Pontiac Vibe owners. Toyota will send their owners an interim notification letter in late April 2014 to advise owners of the recall, and will mail owners a second letter when remedy parts are available. General Motors has not yet provided a notification schedule for the Pontiac Vibe owners. When the parts are available, dealers will replace the spiral cable assembly, free of charge. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-762-2737. For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning recall #14V168000 »

More info from link to NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true

Other than calling GM at the above phone number, that is all I could find for now.
Viburass

Post by Viburass »

You know, all 2009 2010 Vibes ought to be calling Toyota and your GM dealers and raising some questions about when this steering wheel airbag deal is going to be resolved. Chris Bruce @ Auto Blog says 40.500 Vibes are included, so don't wait for GM to get off their collective butts...be proactive if you like your car the way I do (in spite of the cheap paint ....) Just sayin'..... :mrgreen:
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Summary:
Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the steering column assembly contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned.
Geez: wouldn't it be nice if they have to go into the steering column to fix the connections, that they tighten down the "rock in a can" rattle of the intermediate steering column too?????? Wishful thinking I know.
justaskin

Post by justaskin »

I'm getting the run around from GM Canada about this recall. Transport Canada lists a recall notice as of April 22nd, 2014 but calling today I'm told by one of GM's "ambassadors" that no recall has been issued by GM.

Since my airbag light came on this week I feel the squeeze of being trapped into fixing a known problem because GM's dragging it's feet.

Here's the link for Transport Canada's posting:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/V ... esult&pg=0

How long does it typically take for a recall to get processed?
jolt

Post by jolt »

I am not even sure that Toyota has an updated part out to fix this problem yet. The part has to be manufactured, distributed, and then the recall notices can start for Toyota. I am thinking that Toyota will take care of Toyota owners first and then GM will get the part after that. Given GM latest history on recalls, it will be a long time before anything gets done. The longer they wait, the less vehicles there will be to fix as the cars age and drop out of use. Once a week call to GM may help, remember squeaky gear gets the grease, so we need to start squeaking in GM's hear about this recall.
justaskin

Post by justaskin »

Last Friday I lodged a complaint with Transport Canada using their on-line safety complaint tool:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/ ... x?lang=eng

In the box used for explaining the safety flaw I outlined my experience with the local dealer and GM Canada and asked how long I should expect to wait for a recall given that Transport Canada listed the recall 1.5 months ago.

Here's the reply I received this morning:

Hello,

GM Canada did issue a recall soon after the Toyota recall was announced, our file number is 2014-145, GM’s file number is 14139. Generally GM Canada will refund repair work if found to be covered by a recall. It would appear that the information you have gotten from your dealer / GM Canada is incorrect, I will forward your complaint on to General Motors Canada and they should get back to you shortly.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Jean-Léon Morin
Head, Recalls
Defect Investigations and Recalls Division
Motor Vehicle Safety
Transport Canada
819-994-3240

So, the spiral continues... I guess I'll call the dealership back...
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

justaskin wrote:
Hello,

GM Canada did issue a recall soon after the Toyota recall was announced, our file number is 2014-145, GM’s file number is 14139. Generally GM Canada will refund repair work if found to be covered by a recall. It would appear that the information you have gotten from your dealer / GM Canada is incorrect, I will forward your complaint on to General Motors Canada and they should get back to you shortly.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Jean-Léon Morin
Head, Recalls
Defect Investigations and Recalls Division
Motor Vehicle Safety
Transport Canada
819-994-3240

So, the spiral continues... I guess I'll call the dealership back...
jeez... keep us posted on this. curious to find out if any US owners were notified
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
justaskin

Post by justaskin »

I called my local dealership yesterday after receiving the above message from Transport Canada and the sevice dept. looked up the GM Canada recall number without luck. Then they once again used my VIN to look for a recall. Again they say nothing comes up.

It's hard not to think there is a culture of silence and denial around GM when the airbag recall has been all over the news and they still want to charge me $125 CAD to plug their tool into the car's computer to see if the SRS light is due to the clockspring and no one I've spoken to at the local or national level has yet to even acknowledge that a recall has been issued, or better yet let me know where it is in processing.

I had hoped they'd do the computer check for free as a gesture of good will given all the negative press they've had.

In the meantime I did the steering wheel test suggested on another strand on GenVibe by turning my steering wheel 45 degrees to the left and turning off the engine. Then I restarted without touching the steering wheel and the light went off as it should. As soon as I started turning the wheel it came back on again. Certainly suggests to me it's in the clockspring.

Last Thursday I also stopped in at the local Toyota dealer and a service rep there looked up the recall and said that Matrix owners have been sent a "pre-recall" notice. He described it as something Toyota does to warn owners that a recall's coming and they'll be notified when it does. He didn't know whether GM does the same.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I found some more information that is on file at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site about the current airbag recall. There are 6 associated documents if you dig to do a owners search. The site does not have a direct link that I post that shows the documents but I put the documents and a image of the web page in a zip file that can be downloaded. Some of the documents from Toyota show the range of vin numbers, manufacture of the part, the letter that Toyota sent out to Toyota owners, etc....

Here is the link to the zipped file: Download Vibe Airbag recall.zip from FileFactory.com

Here are the links to the files direct from the NHTSA; but you do not get the web page info, only the files.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 8-5506.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... -1650P.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 8-3609.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 8-8923.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 8-9456.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 8-4043.pdf

From the documents, it appears that not all 2009-10 Vibes are affected by this recall. One of the documents said 23,247 Vibes involved in recall and
"Description of Problem:
The steering column assembly in the subject vehicles contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could contact a small point of the retainer and become damaged when the steering wheel is turned. In FFC's with seven-channel circuits, this damage could occur to a circuit on the FFC that provides connectivity to the driver's air bag module. If connectivity is lost, the air bag warning lamp will illuminate. In addition, the driver's air bag could become deactivated, causing it to not deploy in the event of a crash. This could increase the risk of injury to the driver."

So only vehicles with the seven-channel circuits are involved with this recall if GM ever notifies anyone about it. This can be more paperwork to take to the dealer as proof of the recall as the Vibe is in the paperwork. Here is the link to the NHTSA web site about this recall (that I posted above too): http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true and a link to GM Recall Information web page https://recalls.gm.com/#/ to check if GM says there is a recall on your car (you will need the vin number).
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I got a letter from GM last week about this recall. No parts availability yet, but mine is on the list.
Image  Image
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Went to Gm owners center (https://my.gm.com/web/portal/ownercenter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to update address and check on recalls earlier today. No recalls were noted and unfortunately I had not been logged on or updated address since late 2011. Did not matter though, because when I stopped in the post office to check my PO Box later in the day, recall had found me. Parts still unavailable at this time. GM recall 14139.

My 2010 Vibe was made 05/09 according to sticker on drivers door jam. Last few digits of VIN are AZ406902. I think those are the pertinent numbers for production. That should let anyone in the know or is a good snoop tell exactly who I am! Just keep it to yourself snoops. :D I like my anonomanimity.........to quote Jim Carey.

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2010 Vibes might have to use a combination of 2009 and 2010 and a little knowledge to get it exactly right.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
finebead

Post by finebead »

Rayven01 wrote:I got a letter from GM last week about this recall. No parts availability yet, but mine is on the list.
I got a letter from GM last week also, just like yours, no parts available, second letter to follow when parts are available. I bought mine new and live at the same address as when I purchased the car.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The recall letter arrived today (July 3, 2014) for our Vibe. A second letter will be sent when parts are available etc... The strange thing is that I just checked on line at GM's recall site and it said that there is no pending recalls for our Vibe. This was done as I was holding the recall letter in my hand. It would appear that GM's recall website is not accurate and/or up to date.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

jolt wrote:The recall letter arrived today (July 3, 2014) for our Vibe. A second letter will be sent when parts are available etc... The strange thing is that I just checked on line at GM's recall site and it said that there is no pending recalls for our Vibe. This was done as I was holding the recall letter in my hand. It would appear that GM's recall website is not accurate and/or up to date.
Someone in the Head Office at GM bumped the ignition key, and the whole company shut down. (sarcasm)
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Just got mine in the mail today as well.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Vulcan05 wrote:
jolt wrote:The recall letter arrived today (July 3, 2014) for our Vibe. A second letter will be sent when parts are available etc... The strange thing is that I just checked on line at GM's recall site and it said that there is no pending recalls for our Vibe. This was done as I was holding the recall letter in my hand. It would appear that GM's recall website is not accurate and/or up to date.
Someone in the Head Office at GM bumped the ignition key, and the whole company shut down. (sarcasm)
:lol:
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cc333

Post by cc333 »

Does any of this affect any of the 2003-2008 Vibes?

I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm not sure....

c
jolt

Post by jolt »

The recall final notices are rolling out. I received mine and have an appointment with the local GM dealership to get the recall done. They said it would take 3 to 5 days to get the parts in.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jolt wrote:The recall final notices are rolling out.
Just curious what determines the "final notice" for any recall? Time, as in the age of the vehicle? Severity of the safety issue involved? My 2009 Vibe GT did not have any recalls done to it and won't have any done. My older 1992 F-150 still has one out that I never got done. I still have the recall notice from 15 years ago or so and if I wanted it done, I wonder if they would honor it and perform the work? Again, just curious on this one.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jolt

Post by jolt »

tpollauf wrote:
jolt wrote:The recall final notices are rolling out.
Just curious what determines the "final notice" for any recall? Time, as in the age of the vehicle? Severity of the safety issue involved? My 2009 Vibe GT did not have any recalls done to it and won't have any done. My older 1992 F-150 still has one out that I never got done. I still have the recall notice from 15 years ago or so and if I wanted it done, I wonder if they would honor it and perform the work? Again, just curious on this one.
For this recall, once parts are made available and you are notified to bring your vehicle in for service, the manufacture does not have to do anything more. There was the first notice sent out to keep the owner informed of the recall and then this final notice to bring the vehicle in for the recall.

Do you still get letters years later telling you to bring in your Vibe or your pickup in for the recalls on them that you have already received notification to do so? Most likely not, if you did you would have a draw full of letters by now. You were notified once to bring them in for the recall making that the final notice for that recall. For every recall you should get a notice. The manufacture has to make a good faith effort in getting the recall notice to the current owner as required by law and most of the time that is all the manufacture is going to do. It is not out of the kindness of their hearts that they are doing this and the manufacturer will do as little as they can get by with to satisfy the law to reduce their liability as related to the recall. This is costing the manufacturer money but the trade off in the liability is worth the cost to them. After being notified of a recall, it is up to you to get the recall done. The liability is now placed on you if an accident is caused by the part in question because the manufacture has issued a recall and you choose not to have it done. All recalls have to do with safety, which gives the manufacture a way to reduce their liability with the recall. You will never see a recall issued for peeling paint or blown head gaskets because no one is going to get injured by that type of thing. They carry vary little liability and are just considered manufacturing defects.
Viburass

Post by Viburass »

Can we or this site try to get an inclusive list of the VINs for all involved 2009-2010 Vibes so we can stop fretting over who's going to have to continue waiting for GM to get off the dime and who can relax and enjoy the car??? They have to know how long the parts were placed in the cars because even the "upgrade" had the same part #. To cover their asses they should just replace all of the damn things and be done with it......Love to hear some response to this :roll:
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Try this:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;