Motortrend Vibe Review, classic news

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
Derf

Motortrend Vibe Review, classic news

Post by Derf »

Came up while I was looking for something else, saved a copy for anyone looking at early Vibe News. Interesting how they compare it to the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but at the time was one of the few vehicles competing in the segment.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/pon ... ewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attached Word document when the link expires
Motortrend Vibe 2003 Review.doc
(128 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ColonelPanic

Re: Motortrend Vibe Review, classic news

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. 8-)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

With such a promising future, it's really disappointing that the Vibe ended up the way it did. Oh well... It's GM's best-kept secret.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Thanks for the nostalgic article :D It's always nice to see what thoughts and projections of the automakers were BEFORE the car was launched. Also to see that they were , for the most part, correct on their predicament. Kind of like getting the farmers almanac OR groundhogs predicament of the weather. You never know if they're going to be right or wrong. Wouldn't you know it, they just HAD to be correct this winter :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
hi-tower

Post by hi-tower »

Does anyone know the brand of rims on the vibe in the picture in the article? I really like them. I am sure they are a one off for the photo of the car for the article but you never know I might get lucky and they might not be. Thanks.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

hi-tower wrote:Does anyone know the brand of rims on the vibe in the picture in the article? I really like them. I am sure they are a one off for the photo of the car for the article but you never know I might get lucky and they might not be. Thanks.
They look like the Millie Miglia wheels that Pontiac was using on all their concept / GXP cars at that point in time. If you search around on Tire Rack, etc. you should be able to find a wheel that looks similar ;).

I love that Flame Yellow paint! Too bad it was never an actual color option for Vibes :(.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Wow! That Vibe car sure sounds like it's going to be a hit!

I drove the first one that showed up at the dealership near Portland, Maine. It was a base, with the Moon and Tunes, manual in "Shadow" dark metallic gray. Looked really nice with the cladding. Can't remember which wheels were on it. Alloys, probably the 17's. Looked it over closely and thought about it. Came back to the dealer to buy it a couple of days later and I was too late. Already sold.

A little later, the wife's '95 Transport minivan (Plastic Van-tastic) had a major mechanical issue or two, so it was either repair or trade at near 150,000 miles. She ended up with a new short wheel base Montana. Nice car, but not nearly as fun to drive as the Vibe.

I finally got my Vibe at the end of '08. Talk about patience!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
hi-tower

Post by hi-tower »

They look like the Millie Miglia wheels that Pontiac was using on all their concept / GXP cars at that point in time. If you search around on Tire Rack, etc. you should be able to find a wheel that looks similar ;).

I love that Flame Yellow paint! Too bad it was never an actual color option for Vibes :(.

Thanks for the info. I will have to take a look it those. It is either that or just plasti-dip the wheels I have now. Will save me a bit of money. Not really liking the chrome aftermarket 18" ones I have now but they were a good deal when I got them.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes they are Millie wheels. Sport Edition has a model named KV5 that look exactly like them but tire rack no longer sells them. I really wanted those wheels for my Vibe :(
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Yes they are Millie wheels. Sport Edition has a model named KV5 that look exactly like them but tire rack no longer sells them. I really wanted those wheels for my Vibe :(
I wanted them for my 2002 Sunfire GT Coupe back in the day. I was so jealous because a fellow local Sunfire owner actually had them on his Sunfire and they looked amazing, but they had already been discontinued by then :(.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage