GM's Mark Reuss wants Chevrolet Cruze Wagon in the US

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
SeattleJeremy

GM's Mark Reuss wants Chevrolet Cruze Wagon in the US

Post by SeattleJeremy »

http://jalopnik.com/gm-exec-wants-a-con ... 1459024884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GM's North American President Mark Reuss told Forbes the company is looking at plugging little holes in its lineup here. Besides getting a sedan better than the LaCrosse for Buick, a Ford Tranist Connect rival and a Chevy Cruze hatchback, Reuss thinks what GM North America needs is a wagon:

a contemporary wagon for mainstream America. More affordable than today's wagons from BMW, Audi and even Cadillac's own CTS wagon. And no wood paneling.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
kostby

Re: GM's Mark Reuss wants Chevrolet Cruze Wagon in the US

Post by kostby »

But heaven-forbid that the new 'wagon' comes from anywhere but Detroit, or GM dealers will literally "ignore it to death", just like they did the Vibe.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

kostby wrote:But heaven-forbid that the new 'wagon' comes from anywhere but Detroit, or GM dealers will literally "ignore it to death", just like they did the Vibe.
Cruze is made at Lordstown Assembly in Ohio. They'd be idiots to NOT make it there along with the sedan version. And Cruze is an all-GM product, and a darn good one at that. If I walked into a dealer now and wanted something similar to my Vibe, they'd put me in a Sonic (which is smaller) or an Encore (also smaller, and a crossover), and I would rather have a Cruze wagon/hatch. And if the Jetta Wagon is selling, then Cruze, which wants to compete directly (now with the diesel version), will need a wagon version. Fiesta/Focus sales have been mostly hatchback, too.

Regardless, I welcome the new hatch/wagon! I really like Chevy's recent work, and am eager to see what they do, and if (big if) they'll do a Cruze SS hatch.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I've driven a Chevy Trax....same as the encore. Spacially the same as a vibe.

I'd love a proper wagon from Chevy. As long as it comes with a manual.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm all for it, but would there be a reasonably priced option? Considering it would compete with that Jetta, probably NO. Well upwards of $25k and have stupid feature requirements like leather ala Cruze Diesel would be my guess.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

ColonelPanic wrote:I'm all for it, but would there be a reasonably priced option? Considering it would compete with that Jetta, probably NO. Well upwards of $25k and have stupid feature requirements like leather ala Cruze Diesel would be my guess.
I see no reason why they wouldn't make the wagon available in 1LT, 2LT, LTZ, and Diesel trims.
The LS is the base model, no reason to sell a wagon there. The ECO's aerodynamics might not work, so maybe not.

The wagon would likely be a bit more expensive, looking at the prices in the UK.
LTZ Wagon - £20,085.00
LTZ Sedan\Saloon - £19,375.00
Difference of £710.

When they become available I'd bet you can get an LT1 Automatic Wagon for $21,500 (Plus delivery, TTL).

Edit: The Jetta wagon starts at $21,895 for a base with an automatic, so yea sounds about right.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jake75

Post by jake75 »

That's the reason I keep my GM Card - maybe at some point when I am ready to buy they will have something I want and I can get a $3,000 additional discount again with GM Card earnings.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I'll believe it when I am looking at one on the local Chevy dealer lot. This is the one and only way I'd ever buy a brand new GM vehicle again though.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage