2003 Vibe/Matrix airbag recall

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
ken

2003 Vibe/Matrix airbag recall

Post by ken »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/busin ... -bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda are recalling about 3.3 million vehicles worldwide because the passenger-side air bag could deploy with too much force, sending shards of metal into the passenger area, the automakers said Thursday.
Enlarge This Image

American Honda
The 2001 Honda Civic was among the vehicles worldwide affected by the recall. Almost 1.4 million of the vehicles are in the United States.
Add to Portfolio

Toyota Motor Corporation
Go to your Portfolio »
Worldwide, the recalls announced in Tokyo include about 1.7 million Toyotas, 1.1 million Hondas, 480,000 Nissans and 20,000 Mazdas. Almost 1.4 million of the vehicles are in the United States.

Among the automakers, Honda has had the most serious, continuing problem with air bag. Before Thursday’s action, Honda had already recalled almost two million vehicles since 2008 for an excessively powerful driver’s air bag.

In a news release Thursday, Honda said it was not aware of any injuries related to the defect, which involves the inflaters on passenger-side air bags. But late in 2011, Honda acknowledged 18 injuries and two deaths linked to two million vehicles recalled because of the problem with the driver’s air bag.

Chris Martin, a Honda spokesman, wrote in an e-mail that the passenger-side air bag deploys differently. Instead of sending metal fragments directly at the driver, the passenger’s air bag “could propel metal fragments upward toward the windshield or downward toward the front passenger’s footwell.”

The bags were produced by the Japanese supplier Takata Corporation, which also sold some of the defective products to General Motors and BMW, according to a report Takata filed Thursday with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in Washington. An estimated 48,000 2003 Pontiac Vibes, which is a mechanical sibling of the Toyota Matrix, will be recalled, a G.M. spokesman, Alan Adler, wrote in an e-mail.

A Toyota spokeswoman, Cindy Knight, said in an interview that only 170,000 of the company’s vehicles would need a repair, but it has to inspect 510,000 vehicles to find them. The models are the 2001-3 Toyota Corolla, Corolla Matrix, Sequoia and Tundra, and Lexus SC 430.

The Hondas being recalled are 43,000 2002-3 CR-V models; 426,000 2001-3 Civics; and 92,000 2002 Odyssey minivans. The Mazdas are the 2003-4 Mazda 6 and 2004 RX-8.

The Nissans being recalled are the 2001-3 Nissan Maxima, Infiniti FX, Infiniti QX4, Nissan Pathfinder and Nissan Sentra, a Nissan spokesman, Steve Yaeger, wrote in an e-mail.
ColonelPanic

Re: 2003 Vibe/Matrix airbag recall

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yep, read that today... Not looking forward to this.

We've been putting off the other various recalls, but this one sounds serious enough that we probably should break down and let them monkey around with the car. :?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Houston

Post by Houston »

Does anyone know how this recall business works when the car is now in the hands of a second, third or even later buyer? Does GM somehow have access to the most recent purchaser of a 2003 Vibe?
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's a good question since I'd guess most 2003's are well into their third or more owner by now... I would hope they can somehow can get state assistance for database registration queries or something... I would really like to know this myself!

Kari's 2003 is one owner of course but the question is, can they track us down after moving a few times? Still haven't seen anything on the first air bag recall that's likely applicable, but not sure if GM has sent notifications yet.

I know with the Hyundai I used to have, those guys weren't so great about finding even the original owner that had moved once. The car was always serviced at dealers, so several had my current address. I had a recall on it and they never bothered to send me the notice, fortunately I was well aware of the problem and had already fixed it myself before the recall was even issued... But for those who aren't so connected, how would they know? :?

Image Image
ken

Post by ken »

i am still the original owner of my 03 vibe. the airbag light has been on recently. i am hoping that with this recall they can fix that as well.
GregC

Post by GregC »

They found me after owning for only two months. At least 3-6 owners I guess.
ken

Post by ken »

received my preliminary letter in the mail yesterday. looks like they are going to install some kind of electronic noise filter. nothing major, it seems.
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

ken wrote:received my preliminary letter in the mail yesterday. looks like they are going to install some kind of electronic noise filter. nothing major, it seems.
I am the original owner of my 2003, and I received my letter today!
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Received letter for my 2004 Vibe. Wonder how long it will take before the recall is actually performed?
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
msu90

Post by msu90 »

Received mine over the week. Anyone hear of anybody else's airbag deploying inadvertently? Makes me a little paranoid that it could go off at any point. Too bad there aren't any parts available yet. I wouldn't mind them giving me a loaner while they find a part. You've gotta think it's super dangerous to have these cars on the road (not that it stops me from driving...since it's my only car). :(
rose

Post by rose »

Got my notice last month. Called gm no return call...after leaving 3 messages. I guess I should contact them online ?
Like saying there's a tiger in the room thst can jump out at any time, but we can't restrain it at this time !
Just found out from reading here , that it is passenger airbag ! Since the recall I haven't had anyone in my car. Do we just wait ? Thanks ...
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I just got my letter yesterday, saying "... when parts are available ..."

I will let it go for a while. Over the last 11 years, genvibers have put on millions of vibe*miles and nobody here has experienced an inappropriate air bag deploy. After some time, if I don't hear from GM directly, I'll call the dealership that I want to do the work and see if I can register with them for when the parts are available. Still, it's a discontinued Toyota based GM car. I don't know how complicated the repair is, but it might be better to not be the first one the tech fixes ;)
msu90

Post by msu90 »

joatmon wrote:I just got my letter yesterday, saying "... when parts are available ..."

I will let it go for a while. Over the last 11 years, genvibers have put on millions of vibe*miles and nobody here has experienced an inappropriate air bag deploy. After some time, if I don't hear from GM directly, I'll call the dealership that I want to do the work and see if I can register with them for when the parts are available. Still, it's a discontinued Toyota based GM car. I don't know how complicated the repair is, but it might be better to not be the first one the tech fixes ;)
So do we know for sure that it is the passenger side airbag? I don't know if there is a direct correlation with the Honda or not. If it's passenger side, that means I can stop wearing a helmet while driving, right? :shock:
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The letter I got says the "front airbag(s) and/or seatbelt pretensioners could inadvertently deploy" Based on the "(s)", sounds like they do not think it is limited to only the passenger side
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

joatmon wrote:The letter I got says the "front airbag(s) and/or seatbelt pretensioners could inadvertently deploy" Based on the "(s)", sounds like they do not think it is limited to only the passenger side
Yep, that's the first recall -- anything can inadvertently deploy.

Then there's the second recall, where projectiles from the passenger air bag can cause injury.

Image Image
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

I just received (05-15-13) the safety recall notice saying "this letter is to inform you that parts for the remedy are now available".

So I guess it's time to call the dealer and get an appointment set up.
noeldale

Post by noeldale »

Have my appt with the dealer on 5/21/13 for my 04 and they needed to order the parts which should be in today. Also stated it could take as long as 2 hours for the work. :(
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

noeldale wrote:Have my appt with the dealer on 5/21/13 for my 04 and they needed to order the parts which should be in today. Also stated it could take as long as 2 hours for the work. :(
Curious as to which brand dealership is doing your work. Will any type GM dealer (Buick, Chevy, Caddy, etc.) be able or willing to do it?

Does anyone think it matters picking one over another?

Thanks
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Guy in PHX wrote:
noeldale wrote:Have my appt with the dealer on 5/21/13 for my 04 and they needed to order the parts which should be in today. Also stated it could take as long as 2 hours for the work. :(
Curious as to which brand dealership is doing your work. Will any type GM dealer (Buick, Chevy, Caddy, etc.) be able or willing to do it?

Does anyone think it matters picking one over another?

Thanks
Any GM dealer should perform the recall work. I personally go to the local Buick/GMC dealer since the used to also sell Pontiacs. I guess I would recommend going to a dealer that sold Pontiacs since they would have experience working on Vibes.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

Curious as to which brand dealership is doing your work. Will any type GM dealer (Buick, Chevy, Caddy, etc.) be able or willing to do it? Does anyone think it matters picking one over another?
DeClercq wrote: Any GM dealer should perform the recall work. I personally go to the local Buick/GMC dealer since the used to also sell Pontiacs. I guess I would recommend going to a dealer that sold Pontiacs since they would have experience working on Vibes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That makes sense to me.

Thanks for the reply!
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
ellycat39

Post by ellycat39 »

FYI I did not get a notice that my 2003 Pontiac Vibe was included in the recall (my VIN # was not on their list) however, on April 8, 2013 my airbag spontaneously deployed while going 20 miles per hour. It was VERY scary and I am glad we never made it onto the interstate ramp because at 65 MPH the results could have been very different!

It took them 2 months to figure out what to do with my car. They had a GM investigator look at it to make sure that the airbag defect was indeed the culprit (and to make sure the owner of the vehicle was being forthright probably too). Just make sure you all get it checked even if GM does not notify you. A US Dept of Transportation Rep on my case said that my car might be the first that spontaneously deployed for that recall.

Pennsylvania Viber
nomorecrackpipes

Post by nomorecrackpipes »

I had the recall fixed a couple weeks ago (03 Vibe) and in the process my radio display stopped working. I told the dealer, they tried to fix it, but it only partially worked. They called the zone rep and he OK'd a "new" radio - so I got a free "new" radio out of the deal, too.
jbvibe

Post by jbvibe »

Just had the recall completed and now the left half (clock area) of the radio lights are out. Has any one else experienced similar electrical problems after the recall? So far the dealer claims this was a coincidence.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I'm getting this one done as I type this, sitting in the waiting room, they (motorworld group.com) had the wire harness but had to go get a couple other parts to finish, I see some had problems with the radio display after, any word of this affects aftermarket units as wel?

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

I got the recall as we'll but is it really that serious to take it in???
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

GoodVibes1 wrote:I got the recall as we'll but is it really that serious to take it in???
Here's a quote from the first comment in this thread.
"the passenger-side air bag could deploy with too much force, sending shards of metal into the passenger area".

So yes, it's important.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
03VIBEswfl

Post by 03VIBEswfl »

I'm the 3rd owner of my 2003 Vibe and I somehow got the recall notice (via snail mail) for the driver side airbag harness (?) issue a few months back... Took the letter into a GM dealership and they fixed it.

I haven't gotten anything about this latest passenger-side recall though. Should I wait for the letter or just take it in?
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

03VIBEswfl wrote:I haven't gotten anything about this latest passenger-side recall though. Should I wait for the letter or just take it in?
Call the dealer where you had the previous recall done. They will check the vin they have on file for you, and compare it to the recall list.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
03VIBEswfl

Post by 03VIBEswfl »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Call the dealer where you had the previous recall done. They will check the vin they have on file for you, and compare it to the recall list.
Awesome, thanks.
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Hm...I just bought my used Vibe in July and received a letter in the mail today about the passenger airbag inflator (recall # 13112). So this is different from the previous recall (which I'm not sure was done on this car either)?
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I just found this site https://my.gm.com/web/portal/managemybrand#.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; after you sign up and add your car, it'll tell you if there are any open recalls and alot of info about the car.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

I'm not entirely sure how accurate that site is anymore. I actually did create a profile on there some time ago, but it still shows the car as having '0' recalls.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

I received 2 separate (separate code #'s) airbag recall notices from GM this past year. I have been in conversation with GM Canada regarding these as ironically my airbag light came on ONE WEEK prior to my appointment for the first recall, and the service manager told me it was unrelated to the recall and would cost upwards of $1000 to repair!
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

.......also, just read some of the previous posts.....my radio lights (left side) went out quite some time ago. Interesting to read the correlation between the radio and airbag recall work. Will show these posts to the service manager when I have the second airbag recall addressed....
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Had both recalls taken care of today (airbag wiring harness and inflator) at the local Buick/GMC Dealer. In my case, they had to replace the inflator as well. It took longer than I expected, but luckily they had the part in stock (they failed to ask me my VIN over the phone when I made the appointment..just a 'come in and we'll look at it'). Oh well, all done now.