Toyota Matrix recall for driver's window switch

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
Mmjust

Toyota Matrix recall for driver's window switch

Post by Mmjust »

Anybody know if Vibes have the same window switch as Matrix ?

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index ... er_default
TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 7.43 million vehicles in the U.S., Japan, Europe and elsewhere around the world for a faulty power-window switch -- the latest, massive quality woes for Japan's top automaker.

The recall announced Wednesday affects more than a dozen models produced from 2005 through 2010. The power-window switch on the driver's side didn't have grease applied evenly during production, causing friction in the switch and sometimes smoke, according to Toyota.

No crashes or injuries have been reported related to the defect. But more than 200 problems were reported in U.S. and a fewer number of problems were reported elsewhere, including 39 cases in Japan, Toyota spokesman Joichi Tachikawa said.

Recalled in North America are the Yaris, Corolla, Matrix, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia and Scion models xB and xD, spanning 2.47 million vehicles.

Some 460,000 vehicles are being recalled in Japan. The models are the Vitz, Belta, Ractis, Ist, Auris and Corolla Lumion. The Yaris, Corolla, Auris, Camry and Rav-4 are being recalled in Europe, totaling 1.39 million vehicles.
-Marco
2009 Vibe, FWD Auto, 2.4L
2006 Montana SV6
jake75

Re: Toyota Matrix recall for driver's window switch

Post by jake75 »

One would assume that the same switch was used in the 2005-2010 Pontiac Vibes. As I rarely use a drive through, and when it's hot turn on the air rather than open the windows I probably would never experience a failure due to lack of lube. I wonder if the manufacturer of that switch has to bear the cost of this recall.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

In the autoblog post they call out the 2009 Model Year Corolla and Matrix.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/10/toyo ... #continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Vibe got the newer style Toyota parts bin window switches in 2009.

So we'll need to watch out for the 09-10 Vibes.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...it'll be "interesting" to see just how long GM takes to 'officially' let us Pontiac Vibe owners know about this recall!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
trb

Post by trb »

Old Tele man wrote:...it'll be "interesting" to see just how long GM takes to 'officially' let us Pontiac Vibe owners know about this recall!
I would not be holding my breath........
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

It did take them a long time to recall for the shattering windows after Toyota announced their recall. Probably will be quite a while...

Are they going to say "New GM" isn't liable for "Old GM" screwups, including product liability? :twisted: NHTSA probably wouldn't appreciate that I'm sure...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Mmjust

Post by Mmjust »

I will never forget the time the driver's side window motor died on my Olds as it was getting pulled into the car wash! :o
-Marco
2006 Montana SV6
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Mmjust wrote:I will never forget the time the driver's side window motor died on my Olds as it was getting pulled into the car wash! :o
Were you in the car? LOL
Mmjust

Post by Mmjust »

Yes I was in the car! I jumped out and hit the E-stop button before the machine started spewing water though. I chose manual roll up windows on my next car and still prefer them. Electric windows are just another thing to short circuit on me...
-Marco
2006 Montana SV6