Toyota may kill the Matrix

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
jake75

Re: Re: (tpollauf)

Post by jake75 »

See http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12...sema4a ... .semb52012 Subaru Imprezna Hatchback 4wd 2.0 L with CVT AT under $20,000. Better mpg than the Matrix.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
star_deceiver

Re: Re: (jake75)

Post by star_deceiver »

$23'7XX after tax for the base model 5 door after fees and taxes. That's one of the few that I'd take for a spin and AWD w/stick!http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.a...D=590But still not less then $20K
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

i keep reading the new imprezas are underpowered....but i guess no more so than a 1zz vibeawd is overrated anyways...just buy snow tiresim sure toyota will have a corolla hatch/wagon...how could they NOT?really i wouldnt buy anything new anyways. whatever you buy depriciates $3000 (min.) as soon as your drive it off the lot.i paid $6100 for our 03 vibe gt with 90,000km on it (not quite 60k miles for americans). if it were to blow up tomorrow, id probably find another vibe. its really hard to beat the toyota reliability coupled with GM depriciation/pricing of the vibe...though, seeing as im doing almost 80% city driving, i might opt for a 1zz 5spd vs the 2zz 6spd next time
jake75

Re: (thebarber)

Post by jake75 »

[QUOTE=thebarberreally i wouldnt buy anything new anyways. whatever you buy depriciates $3000 (min.) as soon as your drive it off the lot. [/QUOTE]And when you buy used (at least from a dealer) also likely whatever you buy depriciates $3000 (min.) as soon as your drive it off the lot.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »$23'7XX after tax for the base model 5 door after fees and taxes. That's one of the few that I'd take for a spin and AWD w/stick!http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.a...D=590But still not less then $20KIn the USA prob less than $20,000 before sales tax - Canada has VAT and provincial sales tax I presume. Does VAT apply to resales? e.g. used cars?
jake75

Post by jake75 »

From the subaru Canada SiteMSRP $20,895.00PDI & Freight $1,595.00Air Tax $100.00PST $2,016.16GST/FST Taxes $1,129.50Purchase Price $25,735.66I think the U.S. MSRP Base is a little less than 19,000, and sales tax would average about $1,250. Also - the US Govt has yet to tax the air we breath. It is coming though!
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

In Quebec (Canada) you pay two type of taxes, provincial and federal.If you buy from a dealer you pay both taxes and the provincial tax is added to the federal tax.If you buy from someone, you pay only the provincial tax.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »PST $2,016.16No PST in Alberta (yet). We only have the 5% GST, thankfully!With some careful negotiation, I'm sure a few hundred could be knocked off the price. But as you get into the $25K range, you start getting into the price for other vehicles and start comparing various other grapes to apples to watermelon. And on another completly different topic, the new Toyota dealer in the north east of Calgary has a very large coffee machine (complimentry) with all the flavoured espresso and latte drinks you could ask for! They even have a Matrix front-right in the showroom right beside a Prius-V. I'm not sure how US sales are doing but I see a lot of 09-11 Matrix on the road everyday up here.I like to buy new because buying a used car with a manual transmission is a big risk, clutches are not cheap! AWD may be overrated but it has it's place, straight line acceleration in snow! And anyways, I don't over-option the vehicles I buy.... my Vibe doesn't even have A/C! A car is like a lawnmower or refrigerator. It's a product, nothing more. I consider vehicles 100% money lost. You will never recoup what you spent, new or used. You pay so much just for the privilege of driving/insuring/licensing yourself/car, might as well enjoy your wheels and drive the hell out of it! You'll only get pocket change when you sell it!
BillCrittenden

Post by BillCrittenden »

It might be marketing, too, the Corolla is one of the most popular cars in the world but how many people even know what a Matrix is? If they just made a Corolla wagon like they used to, sales would probably double, easy.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I'm taking back what I said previously, about the Prius V being the Matrix replacement. There's no way that works. The Prius V (for Vibe ) is a midsize car with twice as much rear legroom, and is quite a bit wider and longer. The Matrix is a compact. The window tag says "Corolla Matrix." And the Prius C (C for Corolla?) seems too small, and it isn't a "hip" urban cruiser for those who want some enjoyment in their drive. But if nobody knows about the Matrix, it won't sell. Think of it like this, when Obama's Auto Task Force went to work on GM, they found great cars with great product development, great factories and the like. The issue was in marketing, PR, and sales. That alone sunk GM, and that alone will sink the Matrix. If we get no work of the 2014 Matrix soon, we may need to play TAPS to our Matrix brethren over on MatrixOwners.com.
heartfire9

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix

Post by heartfire9 »

I noticed that many folks seem to think that the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix are basically the same car. I drove a matrix company car for about a year and I can tell you the Matrix does NOT drive like a Vibe. The Vibe version of this car must have something different in the suspension. The Vibe has a solid feeling on the road, the Matrix in comparison feels like a tin can with wheels. I don't know what the reason is. I am just saying. When I got to get back into my Vibe at the end of the day, it was much more of a pleasure to drive.

Anyone know what the difference is in these 2 vehicles? Just curious.
Pretty red 2004 with AR rims, michelin pilots, nothing else fancy, ready to see whats available to spiff her up
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

heartfire9 wrote:I noticed that many folks seem to think that the Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix are basically the same car. I drove a matrix company car for about a year and I can tell you the Matrix does NOT drive like a Vibe. The Vibe version of this car must have something different in the suspension. The Vibe has a solid feeling on the road, the Matrix in comparison feels like a tin can with wheels. I don't know what the reason is. I am just saying. When I got to get back into my Vibe at the end of the day, it was much more of a pleasure to drive.

Anyone know what the difference is in these 2 vehicles? Just curious.

Body panels and a badge. That difference seems odd, but believable, considering how bad the handling feel of the Corolla is. But it could just be that the specific Matrix had some screw loose, or bad tires. I've never driven a Matrix, but when I do I'lll be sure to report back...
jake75

Post by jake75 »

No Matrix on display at the March 2012 Columbus Ohio Auto show.
My brother just got a new Highlander in late March - drove him to the dealer to pick it up. No Matrix on the lot. Salesman said they do not sell. Well, I guess if you don't have any they will not sell. Reminds me of the Ford Focus station wagon - only available in the higher trim line and good luck trying to find one.
Is there a 2013 Matrix?
CharlesinGA

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (cythraul)

Post by CharlesinGA »

star_deceiver wrote:Does nobody want a non-sedan sub $20000 vehicle down there???Venza and RVR are in a completly different price segment.
Yes, its called a KIA Soul. They sell like crazy here. The streets are full of them, the dealer lots are full of large gas hogs like the Sorento which get 24 mpg on a good day. I stopped at a dealer the other day. He said they got in a truck load of them and they were gone in a couple of days. Only ones on the lot were two year old used ones, and they wanted $18,000-$19,000 for them.

Charles
trb

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (cythraul)

Post by trb »

CharlesinGA wrote:[Yes, its called a KIA Soul. They sell like crazy here. The streets are full of them, the dealer lots are full of large gas hogs like the Sorento which get 24 mpg on a good day. I stopped at a dealer the other day. He said they got in a truck load of them and they were gone in a couple of days. Only ones on the lot were two year old used ones, and they wanted $18,000-$19,000 for them.

Charles
Hamster cars..... LOL! And 20 years ago, back in the day when my Mustang was in it's prime, I called all 4 cyl cars, hamster powered cars, as I blew past them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

The Matrix lives on still another year. :)

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/toyota-m ... tid=146474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who'll get one? :)
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

cythraul wrote:The Matrix lives on still another year. :)

Who'll get one? :)

That is encouraging news. I'm assuming they are made in Canada? As long as they are still in production it sort of makes us Vibe owners feel secure ('09-'10 years anyways) from a parts perspective anyways. Also that only half of our car is totally gone. The other half will obviously still live on in the form of the Matrix ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

tpollauf wrote:That is encouraging news. I'm assuming they are made in Canada?
According to the following, indeed.. in Cambridge:

http://www.guideautoweb.com/specificati ... ta/matrix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tpollauf wrote:As long as they are still in production it sort of makes us Vibe owners feel secure ('09-'10 years anyways) from a parts perspective anyways. Also that only half of our car is totally gone. The other half will obviously still live on in the form of the Matrix ;)
I always felt like I was driving a Toyota, not a GM. ;)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

cythraul wrote:The Matrix lives on still another year. :)

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/toyota-m ... tid=146474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good to hear!
tpollauf wrote:That is encouraging news. As long as they are still in production it sort of makes us Vibe owners feel secure ('09-'10 years anyways) from a parts perspective anyways.
It definitely makes me feel more secure, although I still worry about the availability of exterior parts down the road a few years :|...
cythraul wrote:I always felt like I was driving a Toyota, not a GM. ;)
Same here.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

If Toyota can redesign the Matrix to look better then the 2009-2010 Vibe.... then they will have a winner. Of course they must make it quieter and have a less harsh ride as well.

Toyota made the 2009 Matrix look worst then the 2008 Matrix (on the outside) ...Same with all of their later models from 2009 and on.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

ParknVibe wrote:If Toyota can redesign the Matrix to look better then the 2009-2010 Vibe.... then they will have a winner. Of course they must make it quieter and have a less harsh ride as well.

Toyota made the 2009 Matrix look worst then the 2008 Matrix (on the outside) ...Same with all of their later models from 2009 and on.
I saw a few photos and it looks the same. As for a "quieter and less harsh ride" that I doubt. From what I can read, they did nothing to it beside adding Bluetooth(tm), a USB port and six speakers on the base model. It's the bare minimum but maybe it will help sales. Bluetooh and USB are gadgets but a very convenient ones. In fact the first thing I did when I got my Vibe was to rip out the OEM receiver for a cheap JVC with a USB port.

What I want is a plugable Matrix 2014. But that's the Prius. :(

This post confirms what we've been saying for months...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011 ... anada.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the bright side, I don't see much of these new bl**dy Focuses on the road. :twisted:
felixturcotte22

Post by felixturcotte22 »

that's sad though, the matrix is the only thing left from the vibe :(
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

With the new Prius C and V, I could see the Matrix disappearing, though as the linked article above mentions it does seem to be everywhere here in Canada. One possibility is that they could just offer a version of the Corolla hatch offered in the rest of the world, but that may only happen if other hatches become successful in the segment, probably a better chance of that in Canada, but still not likely here unless it is offered in the states too. It is too bad as this type of car is what is needed, practical,roomy, smooth and efficient ( all relative of course ). I do hope that they introduce a new model in 2014, and that it can improve on the efficiency of the current model and maybe improve the ride slightly ( but not at the expense of the handling, driving my car back to back with our Mazda 3 hatch, I think the cars are very close, I think mine is a bit quieter and maybe a bit smoother overall, but the Mazda rides slightly better, don't know if it is the independent rear suspension or just the 16" vs 17" wheels on my Matrix, they both seem to handle about the same in everyday driving).
Oh well keep your fingers crossed, and we'll know fairly soon I guess.
Scott
canuckvibe

Re:

Post by canuckvibe »

BillCrittenden wrote:It might be marketing, too, the Corolla is one of the most popular cars in the world but how many people even know what a Matrix is? If they just made a Corolla wagon like they used to, sales would probably double, easy.
I used to have a '93 Corolla wagon, I still kick myself for not taking a week off and letting a good mechanic repair everything that needed doing on the car, I wanted so badly to fix it but never did, it sat in my driveway for several years before I conceded that it would be better off to scrap it. That car was the most practical, most reliable car I have ever had. If Toyota or Honda ever start making a true wagon of the Corolla/Accord/Camry families, available in North America I would buy in a heartbeat. I know a few years ago that you could get a new Accord wagon in Europe, but not here. There was even an absolutely amazing Honda commercial that was kind of like a game of Mouse Trap but using parts from the car interacting to cause a completed vehicle to roll down a ramp, the model was a wagon. The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyN9y0BEMqc I highly recommend it. Apparently it took many tries by the company that made the commercial to make it happen all in a single pass so that the video could be continuous with no splicing.

As to the "sales would probably double", sadly I don't believe this would be the case even if they called the wagon a Corolla. Back in the mid to late 90's the Corolla wagon was a rare sight on the road compared to Corolla sedans. However, there are still some on the road (here in Southern Ontario, Canada), and they were last produced in '94. Speaks very very well to the reliability and robustness of that generation of Corolla (almost 20 years old), given that every winter they have to survive another bath in road salt. Either that or the owners of them are maintenance fanatics.

It drives me insane that most people in Canada & the U.S. have some ridiculous hate on for wagons, but love aero-impaired, overly heavy SUV's. Although I do like some other comparable vehicles (Subaru as mentioned earlier in the thread), nothing is as practical as a straightforward wagon built on a reliable platform. I don't need 4-wheel drive, it sounds nice but it's another thing to go wrong with a vehicle that I don't want to have to pay to fix.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Re:

Post by SeattleJeremy »

BillCrittenden wrote:If Toyota or Honda ever start making a true wagon of the Corolla/Accord/Camry families, available in North America I would buy in a heartbeat. I know a few years ago that you could get a new Accord wagon in Europe, but not here.
In the US Acura sells the Euro Accord Wagon, it's called the Acura TSX Sport Wagon. Unfortunately, Acura doesn't sell it in Canada.
http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx? ... rt%20Wagon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's disappointing that Honda and Toyota are letting their standard wagons languish and kill them off. They're so darn useful.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
cythraul

Re: Re:

Post by cythraul »

Back last spring when I was looking for a vehicle and ended up with my Vibe, I remember stumbling on a lot of those Optra Wagon and Ford Focus Wagon. While I would not touch either of them with a ten foot pole, I'd definitely consider a Honda or Toyota (or their sister companies) for a wagon.

But we're all biased here since we are Vibe/Matrix owners. Cars with cargo capacity appeal to this crowd. ;)

my two cents.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Possibly NSFW or young children:

This just might kill off the Matrix or Corolla wagon with this kind of marketing.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012 ... model.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

WOW, that toyota ad is gross!
Why is the Toyota Matrix so expensive? Shouldn't an old model like that be less expensive to produce and therefore be competitively priced to go against the Kia's and Hyundai's? As for low Matrix sales - no advertising. I'll bet 80% of new car buyers think Matrix died in 2010.
chiadog
canuckvibe

Thanks for the Acura link!

Post by canuckvibe »

Thanks for the link Jeremy! Not sure exactly how long I'm going to keep my Vibe, if I decide to swap it out I'll definitely consider seeing what is involved in importing something like this from the U.S. We took the kids to Disney this past spring and I met another Canadian down there, he buys a used car every year when he goes down to Fla. during the winter and drives it back into Canada, then sells one of his vehicles once he's back with it.

So he's always driving a new-ish vehicle and pretty much breaking even on the purchases of the vehicles given the difference in price between used in Canada vs. the U.S., maybe even turning a bit of a profit on occasion. Apparently all he does is spend the couple of weeks prior to going down scouring websites looking for a good enough deal to make it worth the effort, and line up the import paperwork. Might be worth looking into.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm not bothered by the subject material of the commercial... But what I am having trouble coming to terms with is how Toyota - the world's leading purveyor of dull, lifeless, beige toasters - has the cojones to create a commercial such as that...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

The Japanese market and television audience is very different in Japan than it is in the US. Something that may be the norm in Japan may be a bit too risqué for the US market. The spot in that link is brilliantly simple.
micbarric

Post by micbarric »

WardsAuto, Oct. 3, 2012: Toyota Pulls Plug on Matrix for U.S.

"Toyota confirms its Matrix compact hatchback has been sent out to pasture in the U.S. The model, which debuted in ’03 as the Corolla Matrix, saw declining sales in recent years and is ended with the ’13 model year, Toyota U.S. spokeswoman Toni Honsowetz tells WardsAuto."
2005 Frosty
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

micbarric wrote:WardsAuto, Oct. 3, 2012: Toyota Pulls Plug on Matrix for U.S.

"Toyota confirms its Matrix compact hatchback has been sent out to pasture in the U.S. The model, which debuted in ’03 as the Corolla Matrix, saw declining sales in recent years and is ended with the ’13 model year, Toyota U.S. spokeswoman Toni Honsowetz tells WardsAuto."
I said in a past post (herein), that if Toyota can make the Matrix look better then the 2009-2010 Vibe, they will have a winner.
However, just look at the picture in the WardsAuto you linked to ....The Matrix looks really bad in all respects. I would say as bad as the Pontiac Aztek. I was shocked of how bad it was compared to the 2009 Vibe. The same can be said about most of the other Toyota's models especially the Prius front nose.
Last edited by ParknVibe on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Can't say that we didn't see that coming! Buy one now if you think you're going to miss the Vibe, as this is as close as you'll ever get to another one.

I now have 2 Matrix models available in a 30 mile radius of me... $23k '12 and $21k '13. Widen that to 100 miles and a whopping total of 12. :o

RIP, Matrix. While I never really cared for you, I shall respect you in your time of death...

Image Image
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Don't cry for me Argentina - or something like that. There are lots of good alternatives these days. In fact there were lots of good/better alternatives in Jan. 2009 when I bought my current '09 Vibe base AT PPkg but the $3,000 GM Card earnings on top of dealer discount, 2M dealer incentive from GM etc. made that purchase a real price/value no-brainer. Just turned 19,000 miles on the odometer in 45 months of ownership so I plan on driving this one several more years. Had two trips this past 10 days - got actual 33mpg even with some non-highway driving. And the highway driving was mostly 70 mph - a/c on some of the time. (I multiply my calculated mpg by 1.025 to get actual mpg because for 102.5 miles of driving the odometer only racks up 100 miles.)
kostby

Post by kostby »

Just located this August 2012 post...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/toyo ... tures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spyshots of heavily disguised 2014 Corolla sedan from Leftlanenews.com

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-corolla-2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last paragraph of the article mentions a 2014 hatchback model coming in mid 2014 to replace the discontinued Matrix.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I'm going to assume it will look like a 2011 Corolla got intimate with an Avalon. In other words, smaller guppy. At least they were kind enough to equip the steel wheels that they'll use on the vast majority of Corollas. :roll: I wonder if it will finally get better fuel economy numbers than the one introduced way back in 2003. A whole class of midsized sedan are getting better numbers, and some crossover-utes, too.

(I'm hard on the Corolla because Toyota isn't trying hard enough. Honestly, tell me why I would take a Corolla over a new Focus, Dart, or Cruze?)

We knew the Matrix swansong was coming. It lived on four more years than the Vibe. Not too shabby, but I'm sure Toyota is eager to introduce something without GMs fingerprint on it. And hey, if Akio worked even a teeny iota of the same magic he used on the GT-86 on the new Corolla, we could have one awesomely fun hot hatch!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

"Honestly, tell me why I would take a Corolla over a new Focus, Dart, or Cruze?"

Because odds are the Corolla will still be crusin' when the Cruize et al are relegated to the junk yard.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

KITT222 wrote: (I'm hard on the Corolla because Toyota isn't trying hard enough. Honestly, tell me why I would take a Corolla over a new Focus, Dart, or Cruze?)
They're not trying at all... The sheeple give them a free pass at leaving a design out to rot for years with minimal (if any) improvements. It's a Toyota Corolla after all! Your new 2013 Corolla is the same one you could buy in 2009, except for a new grille, tail lights, and a touch screen radio that's so poorly integrated into the dash fascia that it looks aftermarket. If a domestic automaker put that little effort into "keeping the product fresh," they'd be hung out to dry by the automotive rags.

The only thing appealing about the Corolla is that they are (or, likely were) the automotive equivalent of a cockroach after nuclear holocaust. Can survive anything! I do appreciate that with the Vibe I have to maintain, fantastic car that I never really have to do anything to. But I'm not so convinced the current Corolla is anywhere near as reliable as one from 10 years ago and they may be coasting on a prior reputation. Seems fairly obvious here among 2003-2008 and 2009-2010 Vibes. I have little faith in the next generation, though it is good that they are keeping a hatchback in the mix.

I would much rather take a Dart than a Corolla, reliability be darned... Chrysler will have a hatchback '100' variant next year too.

Image Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ColonelPanic wrote:
KITT222 wrote: (I'm hard on the Corolla because Toyota isn't trying hard enough. Honestly, tell me why I would take a Corolla over a new Focus, Dart, or Cruze?)
They're not trying at all... The sheeple give them a free pass at leaving a design out to rot for years with minimal (if any) improvements. It's a Toyota Corolla after all! Your new 2013 Corolla is the same one you could buy in 2009, except for a new grille, tail lights, and a touch screen radio that's so poorly integrated into the dash fascia that it looks aftermarket. If a domestic automaker put that little effort into "keeping the product fresh," they'd be hung out to dry by the automotive rags.

The only thing appealing about the Corolla is that they are (or, likely were) the automotive equivalent of a cockroach after nuclear holocaust. Can survive anything! I do appreciate that with the Vibe I have to maintain, fantastic car that I never really have to do anything to. But I'm not so convinced the current Corolla is anywhere near as reliable as one from 10 years ago and they may be coasting on a prior reputation. Seems fairly obvious here among 2003-2008 and 2009-2010 Vibes. I have little faith in the next generation, though it is good that they are keeping a hatchback in the mix.

I would much rather take a Dart than a Corolla, reliability be darned... Chrysler will have a hatchback '100' variant next year too.
toyota doesnt try any more

the yaris still has the same engine/transmission options they offered in 2000MY....a 4 speed auto, really..?

even the "new" matrix in 09 used the same 2.4L in 2/3 of their models that was in the camry since 2000, too.

the new corolla is sure to be a snoozer

the new dart? drove a 1.4T 6 speed a couple weeks ago. was ok for someone who doesnt car about driving. i was expecting more of an abarth sedan....but it was uber quiet and i couldnt even chrip the tires in at-freezing temperatures between gears. i loved the idea of them till i drove one. oh, and i find the speedo/cluster text very hard to read due to the font
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yeah the standard Dart cluster is one reason to go for a Corolla. :lol: The Corolla's cluster looks like it was lifted straight out of a car from the 90's but it is very easy to read. The Dart's is overstylized a bit and that seems like it makes it hard to read. The 7" multi-configurable TFT in the Limited is absolutely stunning though, it will show a traditional needle or digital readout. But more money and another thing to break. :?

Hoping they get the performance issues sorted with the R/T, a lot of performance gripes with both current motors. It's a fat car and takes a lot to move it. I'm looking at a 2.0/auto which is going to be even more of a snoozer than the 1.4 you drove but I'd rather have a comfortable, quiet ride and don't have to have the performance.

Image Image
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Got a mailing a few days ago from GM Card / GM They are upping my $850 GM earnings to $2,000 plus offering another $1,000 if I buy a GM vehicle by 2-28-13. By my calculation that makes an Equinox or Terrain priced about the same as a comparable Matrix.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If you can work out a deal on a low-end Equinox, considering I see them for the same $22-23k range as the Matrix, that would be a better deal for more vehicle than you could get with a Matrix.

I've heard the fuel economy wasn't so hot on them however... A quick check of Fuelly records seem to support that, averaging low 20's so it's certainly not going to be as efficient as the Vibe. But it's also a lot larger and more flexible for hauling things if you need that.

Image Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Actually... the cargo capacity of the Equinox is barely larger then the Vibe (seriously, take a tape measure with you and see for yourself)... Not to mention the 4 cyl in the Nox had some pretty bad reliability issues. Have they fixed them for 2013? (Someone else can be the guinea pig) After test driving both engine choices, I'd have chosen the 3.6 V6. 182hp doesn't move a 4000lb vehicle easily...

I'd suggest taking a Trax for a spin once they come out... or the overpriced Buick version for you guys/gals below the 49th! :mrgreen:
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

star_deceiver wrote:I'd suggest taking a Trax for a spin once they come out... or the overpriced Buick version for you guys/gals below the 49th! :mrgreen:
Trax is ugly IMO. The Buick one, too. I'd rather have the Orlando, or a variant (redesigned headlamps would make it look great - not like something from the mid-2000's). More likely the Cruze wagon or hatch. After seeing some options at last year's (2012) auto show, I'm disappointed in the lack of any good hatchback choices. Hyundai killed the only decent one, the Elantra Touring. But if there were one car I'd take as a second place to the Vibe, it would be the Ford Focus. It wasn't at the auto show, but I saw one at the MN state fair, and was very impressed by it as a real, good hatchback. I'd take a Focus ST in a heartbeat. Sonic is a decent contender too, just not my size.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Did not know that about the Equinox, star... I figured with the sliding seats and stuff, it would be ok for cargo. (That appealed to me for a dog hauler - we strap them in the back seats in harnesses and could slide them all the way forward and have more of cargo room.)

Focus hatchback is great, but if only they had kept the wagon form they dropped so long ago. :( As an automatic buyer though, I'm not sold on the "Power*expletive deleted*" dual clutch yet. WAY too many problems on the interwebs though allegedly they have a few of those worked out... A very capable car in every other regard.

Image Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

The 1.4T dart will at least be privy to the ecu mods of bumping HP like the abarth

I like the idea of a 5 speed Orlando, but as its a canada-only vehicle, it means very little aftermarket support. Heck, for fun last month I tried to see what wheel I could get on tire rack for it. It wasn't on the site and even after emailing TR, they couldn't help.

There really aren't a lot of wagons on the market right now. But I don't think I could/would want to but new again, anyways (despite my GM employee pricing). If the GT died tomorrow, I'd likely looking for another vibe/matrix
jake75

Post by jake75 »

C-Panic - just posting that info to keep the members informed. I'm not really in the market but you never know. Our '09 Vibe only has 21,000 miles as does our '07 T&C. Getting to the point that I wonder if the expense is worth having two vehicles. Only put 35 miles on the T&C since the last oil change two months ago. But they are paid for and the insurance on the 2nd car only adds about $300 a year. When my one son comes to town there is an extra car for him to use rather than pay Avis. And it has com in handy when my other son's car is in the shop.
zurge936

Post by zurge936 »

With no Vibe, and potentially no Matrix, my future car purchase may require me to look at the Mazda3. The newly redesigned, not yet released, Mazda3 looks like it is going to be a good looking car.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

zurge936 wrote:With no Vibe, and potentially no Matrix, my future car purchase may require me to look at the Mazda3. The newly redesigned, not yet released, Mazda3 looks like it is going to be a good looking car.
I don't know were you live but if it's located where corrosion is a problem, don't. :)

I live in Quebec, Canada and all Mazdas I've ever seen have rust issues in the fenders and, in certain cases, in weird places like the back of the crest on the trunk.