Toyota may kill the Matrix

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
ParknVibe

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix

Post by ParknVibe »

There was NO Matrix on the floor of the 2013 NYC auto show. Toyota's cars look very dated. However you should of seen the 2014 Corolla. Very slick!
cythraul

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by cythraul »

CAMOGIRL wrote:Well, isn't the matrix just a corolla hatch anyway?
http://www3.toyota.com.au/corolla?WT.ac ... sitCorolla

Why can't we get that in NA?
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

cythraul wrote:
CAMOGIRL wrote:
Why can't we get that in NA?
Can't answer that question BUT it surely resembles the Vibe/MAarix
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

tpollauf wrote:
cythraul wrote: Why can't we get that in NA?
Can't answer that question BUT it surely resembles the Vibe/Matrix
They say "The world's most popular small car."

Yah right, start selling it outside Australia and we'll see. :)

According to Wikipedia, it's a rebadged Auris..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_%28E170%29
Toyota in Australia and New Zealand launched the E170 series Corolla sedan in late February 2014. An equivalent hatchback model is also retailed under the Corolla banner, but this is actually a rebadged Auris released earlier in 2012. For the sedan version, which is imported from Thailand, there are three different variants: the base Ascent, the mid range SX model, and the flagship ZR. The Corolla sedan and hatchback (Auris) were together in 2014 the top selling car in Australia.
So it is the best selling car but only in Australia. :)

The Auris entry mentions the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Auris
It was not sold in North America, as the larger Toyota Matrix had taken its place in the lineup prior to its discontinuation in 2014.
So it's settled. I'm moving to Australia.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

They'll make something like the matrix

I'm sure their polling whether to rebrand the segment or to keep the name. It will go on the corolla platform so not much would change.
They must be a little aggravated that this segment is hot in NA and they created and sold the vehicle in NA forever without much super success
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

ctgottapee wrote:They must be a little aggravated that this segment is hot in NA and they created and sold the vehicle in NA forever without much super success
As someone else said in this forum, marketing on the Matrix was non existent. Plenty of Corolla marketing tho.. If they'd put as much marketing as Kia put on the Soul, they'd sell the a lot of Hatchback Corollas in NA, I'm sure. Look at the price range in AU$:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/358981/2015 ... fications/

With a 1300kg (2866lbs!) towing capacity with braked trailers, I would not hesitate an instant to buy it.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I read in USA Today that sales of the new 2016 Honda HRV are impressive. I checked one local dealer's inventory and all he has are AWD.
MSRP's are no more than what they were for the 2009-10 Vibes.
see http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /28780777/
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

jake75 wrote:I read in USA Today that sales of the new 2016 Honda HRV are impressive. I checked one local dealer's inventory and all he has are AWD.
Nice find! Unfortunately, north of the 49th parallel, it's not available. :(

Good news tho, I found the NA Auris!

http://www.scion.com/cars/iM2016/

The question is: why try to resuscitate Scion while robbing this car from Toyota's lineup?
Jamaroon

Post by Jamaroon »

cythraul wrote:
jake75 wrote:I read in USA Today that sales of the new 2016 Honda HRV are impressive. I checked one local dealer's inventory and all he has are AWD.
Nice find! Unfortunately, north of the 49th parallel, it's not available. :(
Not available yet, it's coming in the fall.
2009 Vibe
1999 ZR2 Blazer
2000 Sonoma ZR2 - SOLD
JPark

Post by JPark »

cythraul wrote:
tpollauf wrote:
cythraul wrote: Why can't we get that in NA?
Can't answer that question BUT it surely resembles the Vibe/Matrix
They say "The world's most popular small car."

Yah right, start selling it outside Australia and we'll see. :)

According to Wikipedia, it's a rebadged Auris..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_%28E170%29
Toyota in Australia and New Zealand launched the E170 series Corolla sedan in late February 2014. An equivalent hatchback model is also retailed under the Corolla banner, but this is actually a rebadged Auris released earlier in 2012. For the sedan version, which is imported from Thailand, there are three different variants: the base Ascent, the mid range SX model, and the flagship ZR. The Corolla sedan and hatchback (Auris) were together in 2014 the top selling car in Australia.
So it is the best selling car but only in Australia. :)

The Auris entry mentions the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Auris
It was not sold in North America, as the larger Toyota Matrix had taken its place in the lineup prior to its discontinuation in 2014.
So it's settled. I'm moving to Australia.
No need. The Auris is coming to NA in the form of the Scion iM. Due in the fall.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ive-review
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I think it look pretty good. The styling isnt that bad and I like the interior. however my 03 Vibe gets just as good MPG and its a 12 year old car. Scion could have done better. As fas as funtionality why buy the IM if there are cheaper cars out there that are just as good.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

And with the coming demise of Scion, it looks like the iM will be transitioning back to the Toyota brand. It would be interesting if they throw the 'Matrix' name back on it :lol:
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

mbz321 wrote:And with the coming demise of Scion, it looks like the iM will be transitioning back to the Toyota brand. It would be interesting if they throw the 'Matrix' name back on it :lol:
The "M" likely stood for Matrix in the first place :D
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

I wonder if under Toyota the iM will be offered in multiple trims? I think the iM is a decent car but its lack of options was a big negative in my book.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

RRich89 wrote:I wonder if under Toyota the iM will be offered in multiple trims? I think the iM is a decent car but its lack of options was a big negative in my book.
but it comes loaded...

what options are you looking for?

just search for the Auris on toyota.co.uk and see what they offer....they'll like have more things than will be available on a USDM version, but you'll get an idea...
RRich89

Post by RRich89 »

Well for starters I really like the sunroof on my '06 Vibe and was disappointed that the iM didn't offer one also I'm not seeing foglights (maybe a dealer installed extra?) which for me are a necessity. I'm also thinking of treating myself to heated seats, remote ignition, leather/leatherette seats and a power driver seat with my next car; all of which the iM does not offer. If the Toyota iM would offer some combination of those features I would consider it. This is all at least a few years down the line for me so time will tell where Toyota goes with the iM.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I really wanted to like and buy the iM, but I simply don't fit. The roof is lower than either first or second gen Vibe/Matrix, and it doesn't even have a sunroof. I hit my head while shoulder checking. And the interior feels crammed. Also the CVT is goofy with simulated shift points that add no value whatsoever.
2009 Vibe Base
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

MacGyver wrote:I really wanted to like and buy the iM, but I simply don't fit. The roof is lower than either first or second gen Vibe/Matrix, and it doesn't even have a sunroof. I hit my head while shoulder checking. And the interior feels crammed. Also the CVT is goofy with simulated shift points that add no value whatsoever.
I feel the same way about the iM. I hit my head upon entry, and I agree that it's quite cramped compared to the Vibe. I really love the high roofline of the Vibe for a variety of reasons.

I guess whenever I move to a newer car, I'd have to upgrade to the SUV level if I want plenty of space?
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

I won't be buying it either. They don't make it in bare bones, no AC and power nothing like my Vibe. :lol:

A shame really, I really like the look. I'll look into the Cruze hatchback for 2017, hopefully they'll offer it in a base manual L model like the sedan version.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

The iM is really beautiful ... I saw one in "Electric Storm Blue" in the dealer showroom the other day. But alas, it's not for me. 1.8 liter only, no leather option, no sunroof ... I won't be buying one.
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799