Toyota may kill the Matrix

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
micbarric

Toyota may kill the Matrix

Post by micbarric »

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/0...sure/"Toyota may not invest in a next-generation version of the company's Matrix when the 2013 Corolla arrives. According to Ward's Auto, the hatchback's sales have fallen off of a cliff, with just 14,592 deliveries last year. That's down from a height of 66,836 units in 2002."
2005 Frosty
star_deceiver

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (micbarric)

Post by star_deceiver »

You'll have to come up here to buy one!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

They do that, then I will just have to buy a VW Jetta TDI wagon.Idoits!... if they made something interesting and something that looks good I would buy it.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

This reminds me of how hard it is to suppress an "I don't get it" Ch@dbee-style rant about Americans' tastes and preferences in vehicles.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
cythraul

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (keithvibe)

Post by cythraul »

What about the Venza? I like the look but I did not yet went into the details since the Vibe/Matrix seems to fit my needs more closely...There's also the RVR from Subaru that looks cool and AWD by default. EDIT:Oops. I always assumed that Subaru meant AWD... Apparently, the RVR is also available as a 2WD. Fuel economy is pretty close to the Vibe/Matrix (depending on sources). Also, while the 4WD only comes with an auto trans, it has the same fuel economy as the 2WD (8.4 L/100, REF: auto123.com). Impressive.Again on fuel economy, I hereby remove my interest on the Venza until they get their fuel economy under 8.5 L/100 in city driving. Any other rides like the Vibe/Matrix with a similar or better fuel economy?EDIT2:Wow, what a day. Confusing Subaru and Mitsubishi. Sorry about that.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
star_deceiver

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (cythraul)

Post by star_deceiver »

Does nobody want a non-sedan sub $20000 vehicle down there???Venza and RVR are in a completly different price segment.
cythraul

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (star_deceiver)

Post by cythraul »

You're right about price segment. One can still dream.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
keithvibe

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (cythraul)

Post by keithvibe »

Yea the venza is way out of my price range for the features I would want... I am on the fence about anything scoobie. I used to like some of their styling.. not so much now... I can get the TDI loaded for under 28k, at the dealer I could most likely get that knocked down to 24-25k. 40mpg... where do I signVenza you are in the 40k range
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Sad day for the Matrix. Damn people and their hatred of wagons/hatchbacks!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

The Matrix probably overlaps the market segments of the Scion xB, xD, Toyota Yaris 5-door, and Rav4.They may not be able to support all those models competing for similar customers. As the Matrix is not fully home-grown I'm not surprised it'd be the first on the chopping block. (Which doesn't mean I'm not disappointed!)
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

......well the 09s and up got pretty ugly.....
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Back in 07 when we were shopping, we stopped at Toyota and looked at the Matrix. The sales people were at that time pushing the RAV 4. They had little to no interest in selling me a Matrix. The lot was flowing over with RAV 4's and but 2 0r 3 Matrix there.If that is Toyota's marketing strategy, no wonder they don't sell any!BTW, bought the Vibe in 07.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
DressedInBlack

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by DressedInBlack »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »This reminds me of how hard it is to suppress an "I don't get it" Ch@dbee-style rant about Americans' tastes and preferences in vehicles. hey, aren't you American?
http://
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I'm pretty sure we all understand that it's hard for a vehicle to sell well when the manufacturer is not promoting it. Thus, as it was w/the Vibe, so it is w/the Matrix.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Aesthetics aside, Toyota has also priced themselves out of the market with these things. The feature per dollar ratio is quite poor on the Matrix, IMHO. It's a nice car, just not competitive. That's a shame, i wouldn't mind having a small hatchback again. I looked into these but it's just not worth the price of admission.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

This is why Hyundai/Kia are becoming so popular. They actually embrace hatchbacks. And, all opinions aside, I would actually buy the Forte5 or Elantra Touring.
kostby

Post by kostby »

So it turns out that NOT advertising a vehicle, no matter who builds it, and no matter how good it is, does NOT lead to more sales!Who could ever have predicted that?INTENTIONAL NEGLECTBETTER SALESI'll bet they write that one up in the MBA business case-study textbooks!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
03VibeOttawa

Re: (KITT222)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »This is why Hyundai/Kia are becoming so popular. They actually embrace hatchbacks. And, all opinions aside, I would actually buy the Forte5 or Elantra Touring. At least Hyundai is starting to manufacture here in North America, that's about the only thing I like about them. What are the chances of a Hyundai or Kia lasting 300K miles like a lot of the cars on this forum? Sure their build quality has improved in the last few years, but it's still hardly at Toyota and Honda reputability. Cheap cars are cheap for good reasons.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...wasn't the Vibe/Matrix/Volt a "joint" Toyota-GM design effort from the start? Which would indicate that GM-had a hand (or some other body part) in its' creation? And, now, with GM's "divorce" from the NUMMI marriage, wouldn't it make sense that there might NOT be any more GM-created "babies" anymore?
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
KITT222

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by KITT222 »

Did you mean Voltz?Well of course Toyota wants out. Heck, it was a bad marriage from the start! Neither parents really loved the children (though Toyota did love theirs more) so it's reasonable that Toyota wants to stop making the Matrix.Feelin' the vibe: I would actually, honestly take a Sonic, Cruze (despite their sedan-ness), Fiesta or Focus (maybe even a Mazda3) over a Hyundai/Kia.
06pvibe

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (GMJAP)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »The Matrix probably overlaps the market segments of the Scion xB, xD, Toyota Yaris 5-door, and Rav4.They may not be able to support all those models competing for similar customers. As the Matrix is not fully home-grown I'm not surprised it'd be the first on the chopping block. (Which doesn't mean I'm not disappointed!)You forgot the Soul, Verve, and a few others I can't think of right now. (Long day.. week at work. My brain is fried.)I agree. This segment is just getting overloaded with choices. Something as "old" as the Matrix and its more classic styling doesn't really stand a chance when one can be "trendy."With only 14,000 sold the number speak for themselves. People are not as interested in it these days.And who knows, it's replacement might just be an even more interesting vehicle?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
keithvibe

Re: (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Feelin’ The Vibe »At least Hyundai is starting to manufacture here in North America, that's about the only thing I like about them. What are the chances of a Hyundai or Kia lasting 300K miles like a lot of the cars on this forum? Sure their build quality has improved in the last few years, but it's still hardly at Toyota and Honda reputability. Cheap cars are cheap for good reasons.My wife's Kia Soul, has a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. So far no issues with the car, she will see 10yr mark well before the 100,000 markShe puts about 5k on a year.
jake75

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Old Tele man »...wasn't the Vibe/Matrix/Volt a "joint" Toyota-GM design effort from the start? Which would indicate that GM-had a hand (or some other body part) in its' creation? And, now, with GM's "divorce" from the NUMMI marriage, wouldn't it make sense that there might NOT be any more GM-created "babies" anymore? As they say, parts is parts and most of the parts in the Vibe are Toyota parts. If they do keep the Matrix might make more sense for them to rebadge it as a Corolla Hatchback. Every Corolla ad could have it in the background with the statement "also available as a hatchback".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KITT222

Re: (jake75)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »As they say, parts is parts and most of the parts in the Vibe are Toyota parts. If they do keep the Matrix might make more sense for them to rebadge it as a Toyota Hatchback. Every Corolla ad could have it in the background with the statement "also available as a hatchback".That is not a bad idea.Heck, or not even like that, just make them like the Aveo ads. Sedan 3/4 view of front, hatchback in background with rear 3/4 view.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

Very sad to see it go, if they don't hang onto the Matrix. I always kind of expected to invest in a Matrix when I was done with my (08) Vibe... but I'm hoping that will be another 10 years, so maybe it's unrealistic to expect the model would still be around by then.Not really sold on alternatives. We bought my wife an Elantra Touring instead of another Vibe (larger storage space and more space between rear seats and front seats were both key). It's fine, but whenever I go through longer stretches of driving her car (it's the "family" car, because there's more room for the kids), I always love to get back into my Vibe.But whatever our next vehicle is, I couldn't imagine it being anything other than a hatchback....hopefully that's not something we have to think about for a long time to come.
jake75

Re: (jamsandwich)

Post by jake75 »

What do you find disappointing about the Elanta Touring?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

It seems now that the Prius V is taking the place of the Matrix in Toyota's line up.Seeing a review of it on Motor Week yesterday and in R&T. Especially in profile, the two look like the same size and almost the same shape as well.But if you thought the Vibe/Matrix was slow.....10.6 sec to 60 is the best it can do.Just what the world needs... another Prius.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
CAMOGIRL

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Well, isn't the matrix just a corolla hatch anyway? The newest matrix are not esthetically pleasing to me and they look less sporty and more .... You know. Give it a fresh look and go ahead and call it what it really is. And GAW NO we don't need it as a Prius!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

I don't know that there's anything that disappointing about the Elantra. I'd say the finish isn't quite up to snuff (a few minor issues with interior knickknacks and the door for the gas cap), but it's been reliable so far, and it's quickly catching up to my Vibe in mileage.The real issue for me is just how it behaves on the road. The electronic steering feels kinda vague and I'm not in tune with its engine response or its overall handling. I guess what I'm saying is it's just not my Vibe But it was a fantastic value.As for the Matrix, maybe an unopopular opinion here, but with the redesigned models, I think I preferred the Matrix (on the whole) to the Vibe. There's just something about the 09-10 Vibe's backside that didn't work for me.
jake75

Re: (jamsandwich)

Post by jake75 »

I long ago reached the point that so long as a vehicle isn't Aztek ugly I can live with that aspect.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

IMO the Lexus CT200H is kinda the replacement for the matrix
06pvibe

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix (waveresponder)

Post by 06pvibe »

You might be right. I was only guessing.They do seem to have the same drivetrain, but the 200 is just a little bit faster to 60 (9.8) than is the Prius V, which is 10.4 (I previously misquoted.)But it's also another +/-$2000.
psiu

Post by psiu »

The new Focus hatchback is pretty sweet looking. If we were looking to stay small car I would be checking it out...though no AWD irks me to no end.I just want a nice looking, AWD, hatch (even mini-ute if you want to call it that), Big-3, US built car. Getting to be impossible to find now.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I remember reading that Pontiac sold 60k+ Vibes a year. Why can't Toyota convert these sales in to Matrix sales? Cause they want to sell Prius and Rav4's instead. It's too bad.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Salsa Guy

Re: (Jeremy96gase)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by Jeremy96gase »I remember reading that Pontiac sold 60k+ Vibes a year. Why can't Toyota convert these sales in to Matrix sales? Cause they want to sell Prius and Rav4's instead. It's too bad. Well several people who bought the Vibe (such as my uncle) thought it was a GM/Pontiac/USA product. He has never own a foreign car and it took me weeks to prove to him it was a mostly a Toyota product.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
cythraul

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by cythraul »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa Guy »Well several people who bought the Vibe (such as my uncle) thought it was a GM/Pontiac/USA product. He has never own a foreign car and it took me weeks to prove to him it was a mostly a Toyota product.I hope he did not return it after learning these facts!
Salsa Guy

Re: (cythraul)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by cythraul »I hope he did not return it after learning these facts! No he really likes the car but is an old school guy. Perfers US products first. I told him Pontiacs have more power than Toyotas...LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jake75

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by jake75 »

In the early 90's my brother's father in law, who shunned foreign automobiles, bought a compact Pontiac LeMans that he really liked. He was very upset when its origin (Korean I think) was pointed out to him.
Sandy Brown

Re: Toyota may kill the Matrix

Post by Sandy Brown »

Yes, I think Toyota is one of the companies in the market.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

The reason the Matrix does not sell is because Toyota does not seem to market it. They once did with a few good commercials but now nothing, which is sad. Yet they advertise that ugly Yaris which is nothing but a gussied up Echo. The base matrix gets as good mileage as a Yaris but hold so much more and has a conventional gauge cluster
jake75

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by jake75 »

Maybe the ought to rename it "Corolla XPV" [extra purpose vehicle]
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 » If they do keep the Matrix might make more sense for them to rebadge it as a Corolla Hatchback. Every Corolla ad could have it in the background with the statement "also available as a hatchback".Corolla Hatchback would be a good idea. Looking at Toyota's huge advertising of the new PRIUS V hatchback I think that's the current Matrix replacement in their lineup. I just drove one and it's a little bigger than the Vibe with the Hybrid technology and I will consider it of the Prius 4 for replacing my Vibe in a few years. In addition to better mileage there are some new safety and tech features. They need to add better exterior colors!And you are right they do not advertise the Matrix anymore and my local dealer does not have ANY on his lot nor website says he can't get any due to the disaster that interrupted Toyota production.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
star_deceiver

Re: (Blueridge9)

Post by star_deceiver »

For spending $30000 minimum for the base, I can think of much better vehicles I'd rather own for that price!If you want another vehicle like the Vibe you're going to have to downsize or try your luck with a Jeep Patriot/Compass... at least if you want to keep the price under $20K...
jake75

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »For spending $30,000 minimum for the base, I can think of much better vehicles I'd rather own for that price!If you want another vehicle like the Vibe you're going to have to downsize or try your luck with a Jeep Patriot/Compass... at least if you want to keep the price under $20K... Where did you get the $30,000 number?I think you can still buy a 1.8L 2wd Matrix with AT and Power Package for less than $20,000. That said, time marches on and more and more alternatives arrive all the time. Even at $20,000 I am not sure I am a buyer of a current Matrix. In Jan. 2003 I got my 2003 Vibe 1.8L AT & Power package MSRP $18,690 for $13,701 plus tax, $14,718 out the door. In Jan. 2009 my 2009 1.8L Vibe AT & Power package MSRP $19,480 was 12,189 plus tax, $13,314 out the door. Both deals were no haggle - all courtesy of advertised dealer discounts , GM rebates and my GM Card rebates. It is amazing that the 2009 MSRP was actually less than the 2003 considering antilock disk brakes, stability control, traction control and 6 airbags were standard on the 2009. If not for the fires Sale price on the 2009 I probably would still be driving my 2003. I sold the 2003 with 33,000 miles privately for $9,500 so trading up 6 years cost me less than $4,000. [The 2009 also came with a free Garmin GPS that I returned to Target for $160 so that reduced my net cost even more.]My son (3rd child arriving any day) just bought a 2012 Honda Pilot AWD with heated leather seats, sunroof etc. for about $33,500 plus tax. I am not in to paying $30,000 plus for a car and don't need all of that stuff but that Pilot is a lot of car for the money. My 2009 Vibe has only 14,500 miles after 3 years, and we have a SWB 2007 T&C with about the same miles for longer trips. I turn 69 in a week. These two may last me the rest of my life.
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Surprisingly, I seem to recall seeing a Matrix for the first time in a looong time in the recent Toyotathon commercials. So they now admit they DO exist? (well not really, they never mentioned it but it was shown in the commercial.)There are 7 within a 30 mile radius from me. (and that's including 3 Toyota dealers.) I guess if anyone wants another new car much like their Vibe, better buy now before they become unobtanium. Unless you want to seek out a beat up ex-rental on the used lot for the same price you could have bought a new one for.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Where did you get the $30,000 number?Base price of the Prius V after taxes. I've seen the advertizing Toyota's been doing... looks like the only wagon they want under their roof.
jake75

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Oh - I thought we were talking about the Matrix. I really might have an interest in the new Prius Station Wagon - but the mpg isn't that great especially considering I don't drive that many miles. I could afford to buy it, but I didn't get into a position in life where I could afford that by making irrational uneconomical decisions.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: (kostby)

Post by mkowdley »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »So it turns out that NOT advertising a vehicle, no matter who builds it, and no matter how good it is, does NOT lead to more sales!Who could ever have predicted that? When Nick and I used to go to the SEMA expo regularly, every year we had to ask "How come there aren't any Vibe's in the GM booth"... and every year, the GM folks didn't really have an answer. I can't remember the last time that I saw a Matrix advert.
jake75

Re: (mkowdley)

Post by jake75 »

I will be 69 next week so my mind may be questionable but my recollection is that at the March, 2011 Columbus, OH Auto Show the Toyota display did not have a Matrix.
tpollauf

Re: Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Surprisingly, I seem to recall seeing a Matrix for the first time in a looong time in the recent Toyotathon commercials. Yep And they hid it in the back row as the cars were driving down the road. If you blink your eyes you'll miss it. It took me a few viewings of that commercial to actually see the Matrix but it really is there.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"