Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
DaveGirondaSr

Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Owned 2003 and 2006 Std. Vibes, both Salsa, then sawnew body style 2009 Vibe GT just after placed in dealerin March 2008, bought it and everything was kool. WhenGM announced it was closing Pontiac was very pissed off,so wanted to get one of the last red 2010 GTs. After longstory, got the VIN number of the last red GT and tracked itfrom NUMMI to AVIS to auction to a dealer, then bought it tofind it was not only last GT, but was the very final Vibe made!Autoworkers painted Last Vibe and their initials underneath.See photo attached.

Attached files
DaveGirondaSr

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (DaveGirondaSr)

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Here's another photo from underneath front.

Attached files
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

And another photo from underneath rear.

Attached files
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Sweet!!! The workers really left their mark!!! Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Very awesome! Love the license plate too!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
tpollauf

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by tpollauf »

You lucky dog you . Keep this Vibe for a LONG time. As several of us commented last year, they chose the RIGHT color to end this legacy. Enjoy the ride for many years to come
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jake75

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by jake75 »

Sold the last new Vibe to Avis! Insult on top of injury.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Picture of the last Vibe posted a while back and indeed, it is a RED GT in colour. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40933
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibenvy

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibenvy »

Congratulations on finally tracking down and purchasing the last Vibe ever Dave ! I am extremely jealous ! Take good care of it for all the Vibe owners out there .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jake75

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by jake75 »

I wonder why GM was selling Vibes to a rental car company at that time. Seems like sales to consumers via the dealer network might have produced more revenue. Maybe the close out incentives were so high that sales to AVIS was equivalent, and AVIS is probably not as likely to bug them for minor warranty repairs and adjustments. But of course if those 2010s ares still in warranty (under 36,000 miles) now, the current owners may be asking for those repairs.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I'm usually not a big fan of personalized plates, but in your case I think it's certainly appropriate.And congrats on the purchase too!!Sure you don't just want to garage that car for 15yrs or so??
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
keithvibe

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Sure you don't just want to garage that car for 15yrs or so?? x2, and maybe that shirt and tie too.. better yet burn it LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
star_deceiver

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by star_deceiver »

Are you kidding??? The matching shirt/tie/shoes are killer!!!! I mean, he just got the last Vibe ever made, wouldn't you be ready to party!!!
ColonelPanic

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased

Post by ColonelPanic »

You would think that would have went in a museum somewhere, the end of an era for GM that was once very important and beneficial to them. But to GM it's all business, let some rental company have it and have their customers beat the crap out of the thing. I'm really glad that someone who can appreciate what they have ended up with this one. Great find, and great work finding it!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Very cool! Congrats and welcome! Do those shoes match too... NICE!
06pvibe

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (Blanco_Diablo)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Blanco_Diablo »... Do those shoes match too... NICE!Even the licence plate matches!!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
moonstonemike

Post by moonstonemike »

Very cool, if it were my car and was going to be a daily driver, i would definitely look into clear coating the parts that were written on just to protect them from wearing off
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Already in one day there has been 15 replies, thank you all.To reply to all, I have combined my comments as follows:I plan to hold on to the Vibe as long as I can, maybe give to my 8-month old granddaughter when she graduates, unless I get an offer I can't refuse or a Pontiac museum really wants it. I took out all the maintenance plans and will keep it serviced often. In spite of selling to AVIS as part of a fleet deal, the car only had 8,000 when sent to GM Auction Yard in Shreveport LA, was in cherry condition except dealers put it thru carwash without water on so it had small linear scratches and a dented lower front right panel. They gave a free buffout for the scratches (sorta) but would not repair the bottom scrape, so I used their touch-up paint for now (can't see it unless on rack). I gave the really short story. GenVibe managers may do the "rest of the story" though I left out many of the bad things along the way. Like being told by the dealer in TX that it was sold after I had a contract with them, twice, and then they again told the local dealer it was sold when they were buying it for me. I had to be damn persistent. Guess GM sold to AVIS since they already had 2009s backed up, and wanted to show a low inventory for 2010s, but then with the recalls AVIS wanted to unload them. The car will be garaged at home and at work, we have little "foul" weather here in Phoenix, and I will not use it for long trips. Since it was mentioned about the shirt, tie & shoes, I bought the tie ay Macy's a couple years ago, bought the shirt at Steinmart a few months ago, didn't realize they were a match till I noticed in my closet; shoes are old Docker denim boat shoes; they were appropriate when I noticed they matched the new AZ Wildlife Conservation license plate, with "parrothead" frame from Gunther Gifts. All 2010s are "Lst Vibe" so went with "Fnl Vibe". Already going to get the writings underneath clear coated, my brother is an auto bodyman. Thanks for the comments and your concerns, Pontiac and the Vibe lives!!!!

Attached files
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Sweet!!!
jkm311

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (star_deceiver)

Post by jkm311 »

That plate is worth hanging up on a wall! I'd find a standard issue one to put on the car, then maybe switch the commemorative one back on for shows/meets and such. Well done, and great story!
Steelies to the rescue.
ou.grizzly

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (jkm311)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »That plate is worth hanging up on a wall! I'd find a standard issue one to put on the car, then maybe switch the commemorative one back on for shows/meets and such. Well done, and great story! I am not positive, but the commemorative plate may be something the owner had made up.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
DaveGirondaSr

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (ou.grizzly)

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Actually, Arizona provides two plates, but only requires a rear plate, so I have a second one in the huge file I have on this long venture.For those interested in the Gunther Gifts plate frame, it was too big on top so had a friend use a metal belt grinder to work the top & side palm trees down to where it fit. Really can't tell when mounted, with 4 special bolts and chrome bolt covers for security.

Attached files
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I thought he was talking about the plate on the gear shifter, not the license plate. (oops).
DaveGirondaSr

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Ooopps is right, I thought he meant the license plate, as asked about in earlier posts. But the chrome gearshift plate is one of the several accessories still available at the GM dealerships (don't know how much longer). I ordered it and had the plaques added, then it has mounting tapes to attach it to the stock cover plate. There are also "VIBE" door threshold plates that I haven't installed yet, and other accessories I have not ordered, if still available. IF YOU MAY WANT ANY ACCESSORIES, ORDER THEM SOON AS G.M. LIKELY WILL DROP THEM.

Attached files Vibe-Last-8-17-09-Imageshack.pdf (139.6 KB) 
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Good find, congrats! The "Last Vibe" markings were a part of the build out process and a way to keep parts counted and sorted, wasn't really a way to 'sign' or mark the last Vibe. But heck, who knows what you may find in there if you look closely enough. If memory serves me correctly, the Vibe was the last Pontiac produced, so not only is that the last Vibe built but also the last Pontiac. I may be getting that confused though, because the Vibe was the only 2010 Pontiac built. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. We did the same thing in the weld shop with the last Vibe we built. Marked and wrote all over that body, but our ink comes off before paint. But because of the way they travel out of sequence in the plant, that wouldn't have been this vehicle most likely.
jkm311

Re: (IMakeVibes)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I am not positive, but the commemorative plate may be something the owner had made up. Even so! And the fact that he taped it (could even velcro!) OVER the current stock cover, I'd dig having that up in an office with a pic of the car or something. Maybe even the shots of the line employee writings printed and put in the same plaque/frame next to the car pic. Regardless, great story, and it makes me happy as h*ll that a private GenVibe member was able to get a hold of it. Better than it sitting in a Jay Leno-type's collection, not being enjoyed!
Steelies to the rescue.
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

The markings were actually after assembly. It is the last Vibe, not the last Pontiac, which was a 2010 Pontiac G6 in Michigan during Nov-2009 (could also be out there since it went to a rental fleet). The VIN number is out of sequence, it was not the last numbered Vibe (white), but the last one off the line. See the previous attached photo of the Line-Off.As far as the plaque goes, I could order a second chrome plate and reorder the embossed plates mounted on it, that's a good idea, thanks.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

was just in arizona from the 22-29th might of seen you around town as i saw quite a few vibes out there. congrats on your purchase!
IMakeVibes

Re: (DaveGirondaSr)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by DaveGirondaSr »The markings were actually after assembly. It wouldn't have happened after assembly. After assembly was final inspection and then they're shipped if GM buys off on them. Quote » It is the last Vibe, not the last Pontiac, which was a 2010 Pontiac G6 in Michigan during Nov-2009 (could also be out there since it went to a rental fleet). Yep you're correct. I had their original plan stuck in my head, before they announced pulling out of NUMMI. Quote »The VIN number is out of sequence, it was not the last numbered Vibe (white), but the last one off the line. See the previous attached photo of the Line-Off.They didn't travel in sequence through the plant. There are multiple places in each shop that they can come off line for repair. In paint, they travel down several lines through the spray booths and ovens then into a storage area and scheduling bank with many lines. They very rarely stayed in sequence for long.Great find, enjoy it!!!
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

this is one of the more awesome personal auto stories i have ever heard.congrats on a wonderful find, Dave!! you should write a book detailing the entire experience. i would read it.
http://
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

wow. congrats on finding the last one. take care of that GT!!!!!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Cool story.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
bodhi_tree777

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (knightrace)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Wow, I missed this the first time around, very cool tale. A bit off topic, but I wonder if it'd be possible to track down the last produced 1st gen Vibe..
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
455SD

Post by 455SD »

Nice story, and an excellent find! Thanks for the pic's!
EnvyGreen03
Zvibe04

Post by Zvibe04 »

i wish i could meet ya, bc id love to meet the man that owns the last vibe. your somewhat of a god to me, haha. still, thats awesome. love it forever like ill love mine
2004 base vibemoon and tunes pakagealuminum rimsauto trans (hated)this car is my BABY
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Still pissed they stopped making Pontiacs. At least for Vibe lovers its sister, the Matrix, will continue the design changes, beyond the last production 2010 Vibe.I still have a 2003-2005 front 2-piece bra, black in mint condition, originally around $80, and a 2006 1-CD radio that when new I changed for a 6-CD radio. From Phoenix AZ I can negotiate to ship each of them to most interested.
DaveGirondaSr

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

So you worked at NUMMI. I did manage to get with their Administrative Assistant, Sarah Rogers, she was thrilled that I was able to get the last Vibe. She was working on getting the NUMMI plant going again for a new all electric car, joint project between Toyota and Tesla Motors, but not much seems to be happening. Wish I hadn't missed the tour of the plant. Did you see the photo of the final Vibe line-off, are you in it?
RWatters

Post by RWatters »

Very cool story. Thank you for posting it!
'04 Vibe GT (Salsa Red) - Stock outside of an '03 Vibe GT ECU
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by DaveGirondaSr »So you worked at NUMMI. I did manage to get with their Administrative Assistant, Sarah Rogers, she was thrilled that I was able to get the last Vibe. She was working on getting the NUMMI plant going again for a new all electric car, joint project between Toyota and Tesla Motors, but not much seems to be happening. Wish I hadn't missed the tour of the plant. Did you see the photo of the final Vibe line-off, are you in it?I assume you're talking to me. Last I heard, Sara was working for the NUMMI Re-employment Center which was set up in our former union's parking lot to assist former employees in their transition. She is a great lady as well as was the plant tour. The closest to that left now is videos on youtube. Just searching for NUMMI on youtube will bring up many videos, many being 'memorial' videos by former employees now. As far as the former NUMMI plant goes, it is now the Tesla plant. Tesla bought it from Toyota, it was gutted, and Tesla is now in the process of getting all their equipment in to begin building their Model S in 2012. They plan on initially needing about 1,000 employees, NUMMI had over 5,000 when they shut down. So even if Tesla were to focus on re-hiring former employees, only a fraction would be hired. Not sure if Sara is working with Tesla in any way, it wouldn't surprise me, but last I heard shes not.The pic of the last vehicles - I missed those. That was on 4/1/11, I worked in another department and was let go a couple of days before that and had no further access to the plant. I've got videos of the last vehicles going down the line on Youtube, just search "The Last NUMMI ______" either car or truck.
LavaIlliniVibe

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

From one "Red" to another--your car is awesome and your outfit is awesome! Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smeadows7

Post by smeadows7 »

This makes me sad but I'm glad it ended up with someone who cares.
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

There is a GenVibe Facebook site. I tried to join, but it apparently is not well attended. Does anyone know the contact person/administrator?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by DaveGirondaSr »There is a GenVibe Facebook site. I tried to join, but it apparently is not well attended. Does anyone know the contact person/administrator?Facebook? Screw that BS, pay attention to genvibe. Your car won May 2011 Vibe of the Month,
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

I was never notified car was May 2011 Vibe of the Month, but thanks, quite an honor. What did I win? JK. The FB site looks like some of same members, thot it was a branch-off from the website. I still have trouble with the website, keeps asking me to Log In even tho I already had. The last Vibe is doing good, but some dings that I have to bring in for my paintless repair maintenance. Love the Vibes!
DaveGirondaSr

Post by DaveGirondaSr »

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 is the Second "Birthday" of the "Final Vibe", a 2010 Pontiac Vibe GT (Gran Turismo), owned by Dave & Jan Gironda since May 10, 2010, AZ license FNL VIBE. Upset with General Motors for closing the Pontiac line, I researched to get one of the last GTs, ended up with the very last Vibe ever to be made! Champaign at 6:51-pm PDT line-off time !!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

This is a birthday well worth celebrating FYI .... I totally agree with joatmon when it comes to facebook. Stay away from it as much as you can and focus your time on more well deserving & respectful sites as this one @ GenVibe The members here are more friendly, considerate, knowledgeable, and respectful as compared to any other social network site out there on the web! Treat your Vibe to a wash & wax and pamper it in any other way you can so it knows that it's owner is taking good care of it
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
At The End

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (tpollauf)

Post by At The End »

This is awesome - can't believe you have the last Vibe - I hope you enjoy it.I was at NUMMI for the last Vibe being made - bittersweet to say the least. Great plant and people.And I AM in the group picture you posted, on the left hand side towards the front, I'll leave it as vague as that.Attaching 1 of a million pics I have of your car leaving the line - I was lucky enough to be 1 of 3 people in the car as it went through the final dynamic roll test of the car - passed flawlessly

Attached files
vibenvy

Re: Last Production Vibe Found & Purchased (At The End)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by At The End »This is awesome - can't believe you have the last Vibe - I hope you enjoy it.I was at NUMMI for the last Vibe being made - bittersweet to say the least. Great plant and people.And I AM in the group picture you posted, on the left hand side towards the front, I'll leave it as vague as that.Attaching 1 of a million pics I have of your car leaving the line - I was lucky enough to be 1 of 3 people in the car as it went through the final dynamic roll test of the car - passed flawlesslyTruly awesome post and picture ! Thanks to you and everyone else at NUMMI for building such an awesome vehicle .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
RubyRed

Post by RubyRed »

I am very happy the last of a line of truly great production cars has found a loving home. I was working at a Pontiac dealership when GM decided to kill the franchise. Since 75% of our dealership's sales were Pontiacs (also sold Cadillac and Mitsubishi) it nailed the coffin lid shut on our business. The dealership closed its doors in March 2009 and never reopened. We enjoyed a great employee purchase program (much better pricing than GM's employee purchase program) and a new Vibe was going to be my next car. :(
WaveGt8

Post by WaveGt8 »

Very cool story.