NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
Petrucci914

NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe

Post by Petrucci914 »

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0...c-vib/This would be nice. They could replace my scratched window from their crappy door-checks.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
keithvibe

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Petrucci914)

Post by keithvibe »

like i said on MO... what about the 05-08 years... they have the same crappy window design and are also prone to exploding...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
ProtonXX

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (keithvibe)

Post by ProtonXX »

Lets file some complaints!.Seriously I had the same window problem where it pops when it rolls up & down, I eventually had to take a drill to the side of the door & make new door stop holes to make it stop.
Lancer

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Petrucci914)

Post by Lancer »

Think they'll re-tint them ( at no cost), afterwords?
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

thos of us who have already had it fixed this means nothing. i need to find out if i had both fixed or just one
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
breezd

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Lancer)

Post by breezd »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Think they'll re-tint them ( at no cost), afterwords? psh... don't hold your breath... unless its a factory tint, a recall isn't gonna replace it. I'm glad I never have had any problems with my windows.... *knock on wood*
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
ColonelPanic

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Lancer)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Think they'll re-tint them ( at no cost), afterwords? Yeah... and monkeys might fly out of my (removed)! The driver's side window on mine shifted in its track right in front of the service advisor as he rolled it up and ripped the tint, his response was pretty much that I was SOL. I never bothered with getting it retinted since they couldn't fix the problem - new door checks or not, the windows were still close to shattering when you put them down. Poor design on Toyota's part, I'm glad somebody is finally looking into this crap.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote from the article:Quote »Interesting to note: This may become the first windows recall that doesn't require PC owners to download a patch. (Hardy har har.)ROFLMAO!!!!!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Toasted7

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (ColonelPanic)

Post by Toasted7 »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »The driver's side window on mine shifted in its track right in front of the service advisor as he rolled it up and ripped the tint, his response was pretty much that I was SOL.I got about the same response from my dealership. Took my car in because it was making a loud "popping" sound when it was rolled up and/or down... I figured it my "explode" on me at any moment. They took care of it under warranty, which was great... but they also "took care of" my window tint as well! A few rather large scratches in the tint and a broken screw hole cover behind the door handle later... It was what they called "fixed" with no coverage for the damaged aftermarket window tint.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
chris777

Post by chris777 »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »http://www.autoblog.com/2008/0...c-vib/What did they do hire my old employers to offer them business advice?
Toasted7

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (chris777)

Post by Toasted7 »

My car is doing the same thing again... drivers side window is popping when I roll it up and down. This has already been fixed once and now it is doing the same thing again! This is frustrating and it is starting to get warmer now and I will be using the windows all the time... hope it doesn't explode in my face.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
damronjr

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Toasted7)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Toasted7 »My car is doing the same thing again... drivers side window is popping when I roll it up and down. This has already been fixed once and now it is doing the same thing again! This is frustrating and it is starting to get warmer now and I will be using the windows all the time... hope it doesn't explode in my face. Mine did it forever, finally fell off the track, all it was was 1 of the screws holding the window on was loose, finally fell out. Luckily I was able to fix it myself and it didn't cause major damage. Your best bet is to get some thread locker, get in there and take the 2 screws out holding the window on 1 at a time and put the threadlock on them to make sure they don't come loose or fall out like mine finally did!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Toyota Recalls More Than 500,000 Cars on Faulty Power Windowshttp://www.foxbusiness.com/mar....html
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ColonelPanic

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Woo hoo! And only 4-5 years overdue, way to go Toyota! That's a pretty massive recall, I love it. GM had better get their butts in gear and recall the Vibes too. But watch once GM finally gets the recall out there, all the Toyota people will have snatched up all the replacement parts.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ProtonXX

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by ProtonXX »

were Vibes left out on the recall?
michaelgt

Re: (ProtonXX)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by ProtonXX »were Vibes left out on the recall? The 2003 and 2004 Vibes are being recalled by GM.
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

genvibe garage
Toasted7

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (damronjr)

Post by Toasted7 »

How difficult is it to take apart the door and get to those screws? That sounds like something I may be willing to try before my window explodes in my face.
josholiver1

Post by josholiver1 »

Do they replace just the screws or the whole window pane?
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

General Motors recalls 122,593 Pontiac Vibeshttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24050021/
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
bigbill25

Post by bigbill25 »

So, how long does it take the General to get "fix-it" info to the dealers?--Bill
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

Looks like the 05's get left in the dark... Too bad this is the second time mine has screwed up.
michaelgt

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Toasted7)

Post by michaelgt »

It is not very difficult. There are very good directions in one of the forums.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Toyota and GM recall 660,000 cars for window defectCorollas, Matrixes and Vibes from 2003-04 model year includedHarry Stoffer Automotive News | April 9, 2008 - 2:52 pm ESTWASHINGTON -- Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. and General Motors are recalling more than 660,000 cars built for the 2003-04 model years to repair side window hardware.The recall involves nearly 540,000 Toyota Matrixes and Corollas and nearly 123,000 Pontiac Vibes, the companies said today.Dealers are to replace bolts that hold driver and front passenger door glass in vehicles equipped with power windows. The bolts may loosen and detach, Toyota said in a statement.Federal safety officials had been investigating complaints about the windows in the Toyotas and in similar Vibes, built by GM in a joint venture with Toyota.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in February that some side windows became inoperable or made popping noises and occasionally shattered.The agency and the automakers together had collected more than 500 complaints, including 36 claimed injuries and one reported crash. There were also more than 12,000 possibly related warranty claims, according to NHTSA records.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I have read it's a new bolt. BUT when did the new bolt start going into production? I hear some 2005 owners are having the same issue. Mine is a late 2005. I suspect they are only doing '03 and '04 because they are the oldest and the ones that the issue comes to head the soonest. They should do a TSB to not charge owners of 2005 and on with the same issue.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
Kat

Post by Kat »

Two days after I bought my 2005 Vibe (used) I was driving along in the rain and my passenger window fell (mostly) into the door frame. Had never seen anything like that happen. Warranty fixed it, though.
tribalman

Re: NHTSA probing windows on Toyota Matrix, Corolla and Pontiac Vibe (Kat)

Post by tribalman »

wow, sorry that happened to you. i would have thought that a dealership would have taken care of that before they sold it to you, or the previous owner getting the letter from pontiac when we finally got that recall in order.
None. Vibe is gone.