Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??"

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
DiveNut

Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??"

Post by DiveNut »

The latest Consumer Report gave the Vibe a Recommended rating in the Tall Wagon Class. ...Tall Wagon?
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
Mavrik

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (DiveNut)

Post by Mavrik »

They haven't seen our lowered ones then lol... and I don't consider mine tall even when it was stock height.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
millster

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (Mavrik)

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »They haven't seen our lowered ones then lol... and I don't consider mine tall even when it was stock height.It's not a question of ride height though.They're referring to interior height or the often noted head-room. In that case, it is a tall wagon.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
BlueCrush

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (Mavrik)

Post by BlueCrush »

The Vibe is more like a mini suv that a tall wagon. The Pacifica would be a tall wagon.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Mavrik

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (BlueCrush)

Post by Mavrik »

Well in that case, glad I got a tall one, I love the headroom.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
viberationz

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (DiveNut)

Post by viberationz »

I fallow everyone else here... Tall Wagon is pretty silly - Makes my Vibe sound pathetic, Ha! I don't classify it as a wagon - I like the Small SUV thing better. Who modifys a wagon... seriously? (Best not say too much or I will be over-loaded with modded wagon pics!)
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Having gone to a G6, and then having a Vibe back for the rental, I can say that yes, the Vibe is definitely tall at stock height...I never noticed it before because I was used to it. Tonight I put the Vibe in the garage, I was like "damn I forgot how high that car is!"
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

http://www.theautochannel.com/....htmlsome various quotesQuote »CR tested the Mazda5 against the Pontiac Vibe, Chrysler PT Cruiser, and Chevrolet HHR. The Vibe and PT Cruiser earned “Very Good” overall scores, while the HHR received a “Good” score....Based on the excellent Mazda3 small sedan platform, the Mazda5 is styled like a minivan complete with sliding rear doors, but it is smaller than a conventional van. With seating for six in three rows, the vehicle offers some of the flexibility and versatility of a traditional minivan in a more compact package. The Mazda5 Touring ($22,615 Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price as tested) is powered by a 157-hp, 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers adequate acceleration but lacks reserve power for passing, climbing steep grades, and carrying a full load. The four-speed automatic transmission is smooth and responsive. Braking performance was very good overall. The interior is spacious and airy. But the third-row seat is useful only for small children—and then only if both second-row passengers move their seats forward.The Pontiac Vibe and its twin, the Toyota Matrix, are tall wagons based on the Toyota Corolla. The Vibe’s compact dimensions, versatile interior, and good fuel economy make it a handy, nimble, and economical runabout. But a flawed driving position and a boomy engine detract from the vehicle’s overall performance. The Vibe is also the only vehicle in this group available with all-wheel-drive. The Vibe ($19,960 MSRP as tested) is equipped with a 130-hp, 1.8-liter, four-cylinder engine that provides adequate acceleration. The four-speed automatic transmission downshifts energetically and makes the Vibe feel responsive. Braking was very good overall. The 60/40-split rear seats easily fold in one step for extra cargo room. With the rear seats folded, the Vibe holds 26.5 cubic feet of cargo.the 5-speed Pontiac Vibe is rated at 30 city/36 highway, while the Mada5 5-speed is rated at 22 city /27 highway,(US miles per gallon for the 2006 model year, per fueleconomy.gov) I know to a lot of you power is king and most important, but 33% is a significant difference to me, and quite a Vibe incentive. I mean, that's why I bought a Vibe in the first place.I know some here have complained about it, but i have never found the Vibe's driving position to be "faulty"
Pick

Post by Pick »

I've never heard of the tall wagon class, and as much as i hate to say i drive a wagon, that's exactly what this car is, denying it doesn't change that FACT lol
Eric05 Vibe
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

A tall wagon, hmmmmmm. Maybe we should start putting tall faux wood paneling on our tall wagons.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

"Tall Wagon" makes sense to me. It's essentially a wagon version of the Corolla, but with the roof jacked up about 8 in. and a higher driving position. Hence, a tall wagon....
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (GMJAP)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Vibe: 62.2" tallMagnum: 58.3" tallYep; it's a tall wagon alright.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I *like* the driving position in my 'tall wagon'; even though I'm pretty short. I like sitting up a little highr than 'average' for a subcompact, or compact car. Gives better forwrd visibility. When I drive my Toyota Celica, it feels like my (removed) is about 6" above the road, in comparison.I *still* don't get where CR gets the 'boomy engine' bit. This is the quietest car I've ever owned, and I constantly find myself going 10 MPH over the speed limit, due to how quiet and smooth the ride is. Maybe compared to a fullsized luxury car with a pushrod V8, the enging is 'boomy', but for a small 4 cyl., I think it's very quiet.As for tall: it's considerably taller than the Honda Civic Wagon my Vibe replaced; by about 6" at the very least. But hey: tall mean more room inside.As I've said before, I expect to see more cars that look like 'little SUV's' in the near future. It's a very useful design inside, while getting decent mileage.
GMJAP

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (Gandalf)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Gandalf »I *still* don't get where CR gets the 'boomy engine' bit. This is the quietest car I've ever owned, and I constantly find myself going 10 MPH over the speed limit, due to how quiet and smooth the ride is. Likewise. Maybe they're used to testing sedans that are a bit more "upscale"? The engine does get loud when taken to high RPMs; maybe that's what they are taling about. But I never drive at high RPMS....Quote, originally posted by Gandalf »As I've said before, I expect to see more cars that look like 'little SUV's' in the near future. It's a very useful design inside, while getting decent mileage. I think the more general term is "crossover", and all car makers have a bunch in the design chute to start coming out over the next few years.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

My Insurance called my Blazer and Jeep Cherokee, Station Wagons like my Vibe and PT....
TRDman

Post by TRDman »

I'll have to agree. Four doors, FWD, hatch, a "reconfigurable" interior and 30 MPG? What SUV does 30 MPG? Maybe you could call it a hatch, but other than that I'd have to say: wagon. (I consider crossovers wagons with creative ad campaigns; in my opinion, the Vibe, which has no ad campaign, is a wagon)
Mavrik

Re: Consumer Report Rates Vibe "Recommended" in the "Tall Wagon Class??" (viberationz)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by viberationz »I fallow everyone else here... Tall Wagon is pretty silly - Makes my Vibe sound pathetic, Ha! I don't classify it as a wagon - I like the Small SUV thing better. Who modifys a wagon... seriously? (Best not say too much or I will be over-loaded with modded wagon pics!)lots fo Subaru Legacy GT wagon or Impreza WRX wagon owners modify their wagons And I refer to my Vibe as a 4 door hatch and not a wagon... in my mind I see a long big ol boat on wheels when I hear the term "wagon"
viberationz

Post by viberationz »

Considering it's a "TALL WAGON" it's still a hot one wagon... Wagon makes me feel like a Mom... from the 70's.
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

"Tall mini wagon" is surely a Honda CRV. But I guess CR was sleeping when they were researching. But maybe they were only looking at ones where you don't "climb" into. I personally would stay away from the new Mazda5 till someone proves to me it does not have a Ford engine. Ford has had a 2.3 engine for years and it is a piece of junk.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
Vinlandr

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by Vinlandr »

Sorry to cast raise dead on that topic but did not want to start a new one. I bought my 2006 vibe last year based on 3 things:1) Reliability2) I wanted a car that would have a nice cargo suitable for a big dog3) And importantly that would be overall higher than a typical sub compact/compact.I use to drive a manual 1996 Honda Civic EX.Since I now got chronic lombalgie/scoliosis issue, to sit DOWN in a car and to get out of it could be painful sometime. I have a tendency to sit very far from the steering too; not good when constantly shifting with left leg from urban driving.Since I bought that Vibe all I can say is wow, perfect height (yeah I keep it stock) much less back issue and after 16 years of driving manual cars, its automatic now.I like the fact I don't feel like sitting DOWN in the car; I don't really feel like climbing in it either, its like the perfect height for me.I better use these notorious 2 inches gap for my benefit over the coolness factor.Anyone feels the same regarding the height of this car?
Vibe base 2006 Neptune Blue Powerpack
CAMOGIRL

Re: (Vinlandr)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Yeah I agree on the height, it's part of why I chose the vibe. I would agree with those calling it more of a mini suv, I moved from a cherokee into the vibe and do not mourn for space. I do hate to call it a wagon, instead I refer to the body style as a hatch. I did almost kick my nephew (same age as me...not child abuse) when he first saw it he said "what is that, like a little van or something?"
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
jake75

Re: (CAMOGIRL)

Post by jake75 »

Buying a Vibe was a matter of habit - I always order a "tall one".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KITT222

Re: (CAMOGIRL)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by CAMOGIRL »Yeah I agree on the height, it's part of why I chose the vibe. I would agree with those calling it more of a mini suv, I moved from a cherokee into the vibe and do not mourn for space. I do hate to call it a wagon, instead I refer to the body style as a hatch. I like to call it a hatchback as well. Since America doesn't sell too many REAL hatchbacks, as they do in Europe, I guess there isn't a class for them. Insurance companies think of the Vibe as a station wagon. I just embrace it, since I do like wagons and hate SUVs.
csxt8058

Re: (KITT222)

Post by csxt8058 »

I prefer hatchback as well. The Malibu Maxx I had before I got my Vibe, to me was also a hatchback, but I heard and saw the name 'station wagon' mentioned a few times in regards to the Maxx. JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
Vinlandr

Re: (KITT222)

Post by Vinlandr »

Well basically its a Corolla Hatchback isn't it ?But that insurance companies consider it a "boring" wagon I have absolutely no problem with
Vibe base 2006 Neptune Blue Powerpack
jake75

Re: (Vinlandr)

Post by jake75 »

I saw a BMW 5 series hatchback at the grocery store today. If I were into spending big $$$ I might like that.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."