Lava Red - discontinued

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
1oldbanjo

Lava Red - discontinued

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I am a new member to the site and have ordered a Lava Red VIbe car 4 weeks ago (or thought I did). The Lava red is no longer listed on the GM website - but the dealer still had it in their computer and ordered one for me. I called yesterday since it had been 4 weeks since it was ordered to see if they had any news. The good news is that they had heard and it was scheduled for production - the bad news is they goofed and ordered it in Salsa. They are going to order it again - this time in Lava - but I am concerned that the color may have been discontinued. They keep getting new 2006 Vibes on their lot in Lava Red - but I saw a post on this site from May 2005 that claimed that Lava Red would be discontinued for 2006 - and the GM website seems to support this claim as the color is no longer available on their site when you "BUILD YOUR OWN" using their website.Does anyone know the scoop on Lava Red?
Mr. Poopypants

Re: Lava Red - discontinued (1oldbanjo)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

They got rid of my Lava.........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It may be discontinued for 2006. I hope not, I like it (obviously).
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
1oldbanjo

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I can't get any confirmation or denial yet. A few months ago the GM website would still allow you to build a 2005 Vibe and Lava Red was available as a color choice for the 2005 Vibe. When the GM page was updated for 2006 - at first Lava Red was still in the color choices - but when you tried to click on Lava Red a little red circle with a line through it would show up and you could not choose the color - later the color choice was eliminated. Lava Red 2006 cars are still showing up at the dealers - and the color is still in the computer that the dealer uses to place their orders - and the color is in their 2006 brochures - and it is still availbe on the 2006 Vibe color webpage at GM - but it is no longer a color choice when you try to BUILD YOUR OWN on their page. This has me very nervous as I really want a Lava Red Vibe. I would be tempted to just buy one off the lot - but the ones on the lots are all automatics with sunroofs and I really wanted a 5 speed without a sunroof - and would use the savings for leather seats and aftermarket wheels.I just sent an email to GM-CONTACT US to see if they could provide an answer. Maybe since the big layoffs at GM have not happened yet I will get a response within 48 hours like they claimed. The dealers can only comment that the Lava Red is still available on their computer they use to order and they are still getting Lava Red cars delivered to them.I am hopelessly attached to bright red cars......even if I can't have a Ferrari. I sure hope they have not eliminated this color option. I will let everyone know what I find out.
BOZACK

Post by BOZACK »

I do not know why GM would get rid of Lava. Unless they are replacing it with another color like Stealth replaced Fushion.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
michaelgt

Post by michaelgt »

It appears that they have restored Lava as a color for 2006. If you look at http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=16164, I had copied the whats new from the Online Order Guide and it says that Lava is discontinued. When looking at the updates, Lava was added. I copied it below:Week of 6/13/2005Effective 6/13/2005, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide: Color and Trim section-Added exterior color (81U) Lava (Bright Red), WA-917K. It is "A" with interior colors (14*) Graphite and (82*) Slate. Additionally, the New for 2006 no longer lists Lava as deleted!
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Spotted rolling down the line today:

Attached files
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

awww...makes me miss my vibe already...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
1oldbanjo

Re: Lava Red - discontinued (IMakeVibes)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

Well that is definitely Lava Red........but is it mine they are making????? I have been seeing new Lava Red 2006 cars show up at the dealer (but all of them are automatics with sunroofs) - so I will wait for the one I ordered.I have not gotten a response from GM on why the color is not available on the website any longer for 2006. They claimed they woud respond in 48 hours.......but that was 5 days ago. I might resend the message and see if that helps get any response.Dave
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »Well that is definitely Lava Red........but is it mine they are making????? I have been seeing new Lava Red 2006 cars show up at the dealer (but all of them are automatics with sunroofs) - so I will wait for the one I ordered.I have not gotten a response from GM on why the color is not available on the website any longer for 2006. They claimed they woud respond in 48 hours.......but that was 5 days ago. I might resend the message and see if that helps get any response.Dave Probably not yours. Could be, but the odds are like 1 in however many lava red Vibes we're making this year. So they're definitely being made, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're taking more orders for them right now. Not saying thats so, just a possibility.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Interesting that the door badging is applied so soon...I figured that would be one of the last things to be put on, along with the other door trim piece.
GenVibe Global Moderator
IMakeVibes

Re: Lava Red - discontinued (Kari)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Interesting that the door badging is applied so soon...I figured that would be one of the last things to be put on, along with the other door trim piece.Nope, badging actually goes on in paint. Thats one of the first things, along with the hood prop. You're right about all the rest of the trim. That goes on towards the end, when they're already driveable.But SHHHHHHH, thats top secret. You can't tell anyone else!!!
1oldbanjo

Post by 1oldbanjo »

If anyone is still interested and watching this posting - I did get a reply from GM/Pontiac marketing. In a telephone conversation the representative looked in his information and could not find anything that said that Lava Red was not available or on hold for any reason. He believes the problem may be with the website.I contacted the dealer where I ordered my car and the order is in the system - but a build date has not yet been received.Dave
Pick

Post by Pick »

Quote, originally posted by IMakeVibes »Nope, badging actually goes on in paint. Thats one of the first things, along with the hood prop. You're right about all the rest of the trim. That goes on towards the end, when they're already driveable.But SHHHHHHH, thats top secret. You can't tell anyone else!!! It's great having someone like you around, that was awesome how you got the pic and posted it for us proving that Lava red is still in production.
Eric05 Vibe
IMakeVibes

Re: Lava Red - discontinued (Pick)

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by Pick »It's great having someone like you around, that was awesome how you got the pic and posted it for us proving that Lava red is still in production.1oldbanjo made me!!!
1oldbanjo

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I got a call from my salesman at the dealer - and I just received and email form Pontiac customer service. My car is in the system and due to the fact that the order has been accepted into the system and has not been returned....they are of the opinion that it is ordered and will be Lava red. The car production will begin this week and will be delivered to the dealer about January 14th (which is unfortunately after the current RED TAG deals expire on January 3rd.I still can't explain why the color is not available on the website so you can "BUILD YOUR OWN" in Lava Red......when the color is still shown in the AVAILABLE COLORS section of the Vibe webpage. But it does appear that the color is currently still available......I can't wait!!!To IMakeVibes: Watch for my car.....and have them leave the Vibe badges off the doors....I would prefer the car without them stuck on. I know what kind of car it is and don't need to advertise...and it is easier to wax the car without having to work around the badges and get the wax out of the letters. I always pull those things off my cars as soon as I get them.Thanks......
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »To IMakeVibes: Watch for my car.....and have them leave the Vibe badges off the doors....I would prefer the car without them stuck on. I know what kind of car it is and don't need to advertise...and it is easier to wax the car without having to work around the badges and get the wax out of the letters. I always pull those things off my cars as soon as I get them.Thanks......Wish I could help there, but I can't. I'd never know which one is yours . . . unless you somehow obtained a body number. Besides, we can't ship a vehicle thats missing parts. You'll just have to debadge when you get it. Hope it arrives on time and you enjoy it. We're currently about 1300 units behind because of the storms last week in the midwest. That shouldn't affect you any though.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

If the dealer agreed on a delivered price. They should honor it. there is a significant $$$ hold back on these. Even when they sell them at "dealer cost". They make a lot of $$$.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
1oldbanjo

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

If anyone is interested......here is an update on my car order:Pontiac Customer Support has been very helpful.....and has kept me updated constantly. ON December 19th they emailed me to tell me my car was completed and was being shipped to the distribution center. On December 23rd they once again sent me an email that said my car was in transit to the distribution center to be prepped for delivery to the dealer.The dealer has not contacted me about anything. When I ordered the car they would not commit to a final price....they said they could not do that until the car was at their dealer....as they can't negotiate a price until the car is in their possesion. Their reason is that the price is only known at the time of the sale....and they could/would not commit to a price that would be in effect at some point in the future. I told them that I could not ordeer a car with an unknown price....and they finally agreed a reasonable price for my S10 trade-in...and the car for $ 500 over invoice. That may be higher than I could have gotten if I had bought one from their stock....but I was anxious to get one ordered while Lava Red was still available. Hopefully the RED TAG offer - or a better one will still be available when the car is at the dealer. If the offers are not as good when my car arrives at the dealer, I suppose the fact that the dealer delayed my car 4 weeks by ordering the wrong color the first time could be used in my negotiations for a lower price. So far I have not been impressed by the dealers interest or attention to my car order.The Pontiac Website has still not been corrected to show if Lava Red will remain available. If you go to the Pontiac Vibe website and ask to see the available colors...Lava Red is still shown. In fact when you go to the "BUILD YOUR OWN" portion a Lava Red car is shown when you hit the Vibe GT icon...however when you go to the next screen and need to choose the color.....Lava Red is not one of the available choices. I will let everyone know when my car arrives....and also let you know what color it is when it arrives!Dave
1oldbanjo

Re: (1oldbanjo)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I drove by the dealer this morning on the way to work and my new Vibe that I ordered in October has just arrived (It was not there yesterday morning). The car is Lava Red and is just as it was ordered. The dealer has not yet called me to let me know it arrived...they may be waiting to get it serviced. This is the second car they ordered for me...as they ordered the first one in Salsa by mistake.Pontiac has still not revised their website to show that Lava Red is still available.The car had a $ 16,430 base price sticker....which is the price that was in effect when the car wa ordered and is less than the current $ 16,990 price - but not as good as the $ $ 16,298.46 that was in effect when the Red Tag Special was in affect.Dave
jtodd

Post by jtodd »

Glad to hear your car is finally there! Wonder how long the dealership will wait to call you?
'04 Base Vibe,Lava Two-tone,OBX Carbon fiber shifter,AutoVentshade Hood Protector,Fog Lamp Protectors by Todd Maar(MIVibe-ToolGuy),Tinted, Abyss Top Spoiler, GM exhaust tip
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »I drove by the dealer this morning on the way to work and my new Vibe that I ordered in October has just arrived (It was not there yesterday morning). The car is Lava Red and is just as it was ordered. The dealer has not yet called me to let me know it arrived...they may be waiting to get it serviced. This is the second car they ordered for me...as they ordered the first one in Salsa by mistake.Pontiac has still not revised their website to show that Lava Red is still available.The car had a $ 16,430 base price sticker....which is the price that was in effect when the car wa ordered and is less than the current $ 16,990 price - but not as good as the $ $ 16,298.46 that was in effect when the Red Tag Special was in affect.Dave Congrats Dave!!! That confusion with that color not being on the website might be a sign of things to come in the future. Hope that doesn't make you feel BLUE.Maybe a fellow GM employee on here would be willing to share a GMID referral to get you a slightly better price.Enjoy your Vibe!!!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »The car had a $ 16,430 base price sticker....which is the price that was in effect when the car was ordered and is less than the current $16,990 price - but not as good as the $ $ 16,298.46 that was in effect when the Red Tag Special was in affect.Dave My notes indicate that the 2006 Vibe had a base of 16,430 plus $560 destination = 16,990 from the start. Maybe the recent cuts by GM will lower that - the dealer may be waiting for the revised stickers.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »The car had a $ 16,430 base price sticker....which is the price that was in effect when the car wa ordered and is less than the current $ 16,990 price - but not as good as the $ $ 16,298.46 that was in effect when the Red Tag Special was in affect.Dave All I know is what I read in the newspaper. Today's ad for Dennis Pontiac http://www.dennisautopoint.com stated "RED TAG SALE HAS BEEN EXTENDED!! EXPIRES 1-16-06!" There were six cars shown including a Vibe - "17 in stock. 3.9% 60 month financing with approved credit." This dealer's advertising slogan is "The dealer you can trust!" RIGHT!!!!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
1oldbanjo

Re: (jtodd)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

The dealer called me about 3:00 in the afternoon the day I first saw the car. The car had been prepped and was ready to be picked up. My salesman no longer worked at the dealer.....and it took the dealer a little while to figure out who had ordered the car....luckily they didn't put it up for sale.!!!! The dealer sold it to me for $ 500 over invoice, plus I had $ 1,071 credit built up on my GM Credit Card and I got another $ 500 off as my wife has a non-GM car. So far I have only dirven it home and it has been sitting in the garage since then. We were supposed to have a hail storm on Friday so I didn't drive it to work - and I have needed to use my truck since then. It is Lava Red as ordered and everything is like it is supposed to be.I guess this is the end of the Lava Red ordering story....and the beginninf of my Vibe ownership. The stick shift is really smooth and I think I am really going to enjoy this car. IMakeVibes......when you posted the picture of the Lava Red Vibe on the assembly line...it had some sort of a yellow attachment on the right rear quarter panel. What is that....some sort of a guard to protect the paint while they install parts?Dave
jake75

Re: (jake75)

Post by jake75 »

At least you got that $500 back with the conquest rebate. My wife is a teacher - she came home with a "COESRA" discount card [www.coesra.com] and a list of participating businesses. There are a few autodealers on there - one is Dennis Autopoint - a Pontiac dealer[www.dennisautopoint.com] offering $49 over invoice on new vehicles and 10% off service and parts. I bought my Vibe at a dealer in Urbana, a small town 40 miles from here, where $49 over invoice is their claim to fame. Though I thought that was a good deal my main motivation in going there was that they had the only Vibe around that was equipped the way I wanted - without a moonroof, and they were more than willing to do everything by phone and fax.
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »IMakeVibes......when you posted the picture of the Lava Red Vibe on the assembly line...it had some sort of a yellow attachment on the right rear quarter panel. What is that....some sort of a guard to protect the paint while they install parts?That is exactly what it is! That pic was taken right where they come down from paint. After that, the four front doors come off (they are assembled separately in their own area and then meet up with the body again later) and then two more guards are put in place - one over the fender and one that covers the centerpillar and rocker (think of an upsidedown 'T'). They do protect from paint and body damage, but there are still a good number of units everyday that have to be repaired everyday.Hey, I'm just curious 1oldbanjo, since I've been following this post for a while. If you get a chance, open up your hood and look on top of the radiator support. There is a 5-digit number stamped there. Whats that number? It will probably be somewhere in the 40000s or 50000s.
1oldbanjo

Re: (IMakeVibes)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I make Vibes: The number on my car is: 57475.The car drives real nicely. THe only things I have noticed that I dislike so far is that the steering wheel seems a little too far away when I have the seat adjusted for my legs and I have to reach out farther for the steering wheel than on any other car I have ever owned. The other thing I need to address is that the low beams on the headlights don't shine out very far - they seem bright enough - but there is a definite horizontal line where the light is cut off. The lights really don't shine out far enough to make me feel comfortable that I could stop once the lights show me something. If a cat, dog or deer ran out I probably would see him in time to know what it was that I was going to hit - but not in time to do anything about it.Dave
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »The other thing I need to address is that the low beams on the headlights don't shine out very far - they seem bright enough - but there is a definite horizontal line where the light is cut off. The lights really don't shine out far enough to make me feel comfortable that I could stop once the lights show me something. If a cat, dog or deer ran out I probably would see him in time to know what it was that I was going to hit - but not in time to do anything about it.The headlight adjustment is very easy. The procedure is explained at http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=20126
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Quote, originally posted by 1oldbanjo »I make Vibes: The number on my car is: 57475.Body built and painted 12/12/05. Final assembly 12/13/05.
1oldbanjo

Re: (IMakeVibes)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

IF anyone is still interested - I just checked the Pontiac website for the Vibe. Lava Red is still an available option....and when I went to the BUILD YOUR OWN section ....Lava Red has returned as an available option. Over the past 3 or 4 months Lave Red was not an available color when you tried to build your own.....and was the reason this whole thread was started. I wanted to order a Lava Red Vibe and was concerned that they would no longer be available since the color had been deleted from the BUILD YOUR OWN area. All is well and I have my Lava Red Vibe and the website has been corrected.Dave