False horsepower ratings

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
micbarric

False horsepower ratings

Post by micbarric »

"Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers."http://www.detnews.com/2005/au...9.htm
2005 Frosty
bud_one

Re: False horsepower ratings (micbarric)

Post by bud_one »

So the Vibe like the Corolla...... is rated at 126 hp. now.....Dang that suxs.....
Pablo1669

Post by Pablo1669 »

I deal a lot with this kinda stuff at work, and GM only rounds up to the nearest integer. which is why you can see that the G6 is 201, and the XLR (V-series) is at 469. It's about time those damn asian companies start telling the truth
-Brian
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

lol everyone acts like since the new HP rating is lower their car is going to go slower
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: False horsepower ratings (Pablo1669)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

It is not false horsepower rating... They only changed the way to calculate it to follow the SAE standard
urbanmonkeygod04

Re: False horsepower ratings (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by urbanmonkeygod04 »

Then there are the cars that dyno MORE at the wheels than is claimed at the CRANK - Redlines & Cobalt SS's dyno, on average at about 210 hp at the wheels, while GM advertises 205 crank HP, but it could honestly probably rate them at 235-240 safely. The same is true for SRT-4's; they regularly dyno 5-10 hp more than the advertised crank hp. I think it's funny though, because we have MORE horsepower than advertised, where if you dynoed an RSX or a WRX you'd have a lot smaller number. American cars>Japanese carsHonda/Acura/ToyotaOwned by the society of automotive engineers.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I remember a few years back when Hyundai admitted they had overestimated horsepower ratings... The actual ratings for the most part (IIRC) weren't really *that* much lower than they had claimed, but nonetheless they bumped up the vehicle's warranty for compensation. That was nice of 'em.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

Chevrolet Corvette LS7 500 505
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Ford got in huge trouble with this years ago with the SVT Mustang. Understated and owners Dyno'ed their cars to prove it. Ford had to fix them in the end and did. Do not remember what they did to fix it, a new intake I think. I have always heard lots of American cars are under rated but are really over. Mostly I believe for insurance reasons they were quoted as a little lower. Same as in the old muscle car days too... Some Asian companies lie about recalls, so why not this too!
Mavrik

Re: False horsepower ratings (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by Mavrik »

well according to that list... I really wonder what my Vibe really is... but nice to see GM actually had to raise their specs lol.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ColonelPanic

Re: False horsepower ratings (Mavrik)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »well according to that list... I really wonder what my Vibe really is... but nice to see GM actually had to raise their specs lol.I don't know, but I think mine probably churns out somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 or lower. heh
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
navydave

Re: False horsepower ratings (ColonelPanic)

Post by navydave »

Hmm, no wonder our cars go slow. We've been carrying around 4 dead horses, lol.
slowvibe

Re: False horsepower ratings (ColonelPanic)

Post by slowvibe »

i had a hyundai at the time and also got a free oil chanfe and tire rotation out of them too. the class action suit asked you if the principle reason for buying the car was horsepower or some other reason, if you said yes you got more warranty and oil change package, if you said no you just got the oil change.
SLOWVIBE05 Vibe GTMoonstone (monotone)Factory XM RadioLeather seatsMoon & Tunes packageTinted windowsCOMING SOON: CAI, Custom graphics, 2 monitor DVD entertainment
angelkisses

Re: False horsepower ratings (slowvibe)

Post by angelkisses »

I dont know how this could change, it is simple, horsepower is Torque times RPM over 5151. Do some companies use different methods or what.
Toolman's Little Angel http://theeulogy.wirefire.com
MadBill

Re: False horsepower ratings (angelkisses)

Post by MadBill »

]!Quote, originally posted by angelkisses »I dont know how this could change, it is simple, horsepower is Torque times RPM over 5151. Do some companies use different methods or what.Err... Yes, actually! A surprising number of them, 100% to be exact, use (torque times RPM) divided by 5252[/B
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

for those old enough to remember a change is SAE ratings happened before. In the 70's it changed> All tests had to be done with all possible accessories on. Meaning A/C etc. All items which hurt performance. This often lowered the ratings 10% or more compared to the old SAE tests in the 60's.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun