New round of airbag recalls for Corolla/Matrix/Vibe

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
SlammedNiss

New round of airbag recalls for Corolla/Matrix/Vibe

Post by SlammedNiss » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 pm

"Toyota is recalling about 191,000 Corolla and Matrix cars to fix airbags that replaced defective Takata airbags but may have been damaged.

The Japanese automaker announced Wednesday that it would recall certain 2003 through 2008 model-year Corolla cars and 2005 through 2008 model-year Matrix cars.

The recall involves about 135,000 vehicles in the U.S. that already had their defective Takata airbags replaced.

The problem with these cars is that their front-passenger-seat replacement airbags may not perform correctly.

"If one of these airbags deploys, there is a possibility that it could be damaged," Toyota said in a statement. "Such damage could cause the airbag to not properly inflate, and this could increase the risk of occupant injury in the event of a crash.""

Full story here. -----> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 139192001/
Last edited by SlammedNiss on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic

ColonelPanic

Re: New round of airbag recalls for Corolla/Matrix

Post by ColonelPanic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks for sharing this. And ugh! :roll:

So this is for our non-Takata "permanent fix" air bags?

No recalls for our VIN yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye out.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Neptune. Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 134k mi.

'13 Sonic LT - 1.4L ECOTEC turbo/6A. 111k mi.
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost, FWD. 56k mi. (hers)
ImageImage

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 pm

Video segment I pulled off of the CBS Evening News on Aug. 28, 2019. Note the interesting way he enunciates the name Matrix.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/P8YMDpW5eXg[/youtube]

Edit:
Seriously, what's the point of having a youtube button if it doesn't even work?

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 am

ColonelPanic wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm
Thanks for sharing this. And ugh! :roll:

So this is for our non-Takata "permanent fix" air bags?

No recalls for our VIN yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Yeah, this should be the non-Takata replacement, which is hopefully the end of this saga.
(2) '03 Bases, '04 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB
Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:36 am

GREAT !!!....another chance the dealer will screw up my car AGAIN !!! I still havent fixed the panels down by the shifter linkage from that last "fix" Also they couldnt fix it in a couple of hours, so I had to go to work and it cost me 75 bux to rent a car... :roll: :roll: :roll:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 am

cptnsolo77 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:36 am
GREAT !!!....another chance the dealer will screw up my car AGAIN !!! I still havent fixed the panels down by the shifter linkage from that last "fix" Also they couldnt fix it in a couple of hours, so I had to go to work and it cost me 75 bux to rent a car... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why didn't you force them to give you a loaner? or take it back after the panels were screwed up?

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 am

yeah, I shared this photo in an earlier post where I got the notice also on my 2004 Vibe Gt. Found it interesting that when the first recall was done, they KNEW it was temporary until a better fix arrives :twisted:

"everything is modifiable"

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Makes me glad I sat on mine until 2017-18

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:47 am

Ok. A bit off topic here .... BUT is there a way to find out which dealerships performed the MOST airbag replacement jobs? I've yet to take any of my Vibes in for such recalls for two reasons: Don't trust the workmanship of most dealers (sloppy, careless, hurry up and get it done, etc...) and that I'm NEVER the passenger :o Now the wife (yeah I still have one of those :roll: ) has been on my A S S to get it done years ago.

If/when I really make an appointment for this work, I'd like it to be at a dealership where they are experienced at the job, performed hundreds of these, and hopefully have a good reputation. None of them locally where I live meet this criteria. I'm thinking Sellers up in Michigan? I'm willing to travel up to 4 hours or so and have it done if it makes a difference. Thanks .............................. Tim

joatmon

Post by joatmon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 am

I hate losing a day to take the car to a dealer for a recall.

I also have had a recurring problem since the first airtbag recall. To do the recall, they have to take off the dash cover, which requires taking off the A pillar trims. Each time after I've been in for an airbag recall, the car has had either the left or right A pillar trim pop off at random when driving. I've had to replace a number of those white plastic retainer pins. By itself it's not a big deal, but when that trim disengages with the A pillar, the bottom of the trim stays in place and the trim pivots down, effectively becoming a rigid plastic spear that points directly at the face of the driver or passenger, depending on which trim dislodges.

I've seen a number of those "Final Destination" movies, this is exactly the kind of death set up they use. Needless to say, I've put a lot of miles on my Vibe with one or the other A-pillar trim tossed into the back seat

Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm not to happy about this either because I thought we had this issue taken care of a few years ago. I just checked and found the following on my 2005 Base:

Toyota has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about an upcoming safety recall that involves 2005-2008 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. According to Toyota, the subject vehicles are equipped with a front passenger air bag assembly containing an inflator, manufactured by an alternative supplier, installed as a replacement under a prior recall. There is a possibility that the air bag may not unfold as designed during inflation under high temperature conditions, resulting in air bag internal pressure rising differently than expected.

(I think they are basically saying is that the air bag is going to explode with so much force (when in the higher temp conditions) that it will probably bust the air bag open - - wonderful)

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

GM Recall #:
N192273760

NHTSA #
19V627

Date Issued:
Aug 28, 2019
Last edited by Jbenrod on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:12 pm

zbyers wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 am
cptnsolo77 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:36 am
Why didn't you force them to give you a loaner? or take it back after the panels were screwed up?
They would not budge on a loaner. No way im bringing it back...I know I can do a better job. Its one of those things where its not worth the trouble. Im not going to take it back and risk they screw it up again.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Just disable the air bag yourself. If you don't plan to sell it to another individual, they can't do much. Wear your seat belts properly, and the air bag isn't anything other than a bomb in the face.

I have to wonder if there have been people that put their feet on the dash (passenger side) with broken legs due to that air bag.

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Jbenrod wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm
I'm not to happy about this either because I thought we had this issue taken care of a few years ago. I just checked and found the following on my 2005 Base:

Toyota has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about an upcoming safety recall that involves 2005-2008 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. According to Toyota, the subject vehicles are equipped with a front passenger air bag assembly containing an inflator, manufactured by an alternative supplier, installed as a replacement under a prior recall. There is a possibility that the air bag may not unfold as designed during inflation under high temperature conditions, resulting in air bag internal pressure rising differently than expected.

(I think they are basically saying is that the air bag is going to explode with so much force (when in the higher temp conditions) that it will probably bust the air bag open - - wonderful)

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

GM Recall #:
N192273760

NHTSA #
19V627

Date Issued:
Aug 28, 2019
So this re-recall does cover the Vibe as well? The CBS news segment I posted (https://youtu.be/P8YMDpW5eXg) doesn't mention the Vibe, only Corollas and the Matrix. I'll update the subject line if I'm able...

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 am

tpollauf wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:47 am
Ok. A bit off topic here .... BUT is there a way to find out which dealerships performed the MOST airbag replacement jobs? I've yet to take any of my Vibes in for such recalls for two reasons: Don't trust the workmanship of most dealers (sloppy, careless, hurry up and get it done, etc...) and that I'm NEVER the passenger :o
Don't know for sure, but I will say my assumption that a high volume Buick/GMC/ex-Pontiac/ex-Saturn dealership would have a higher quality of workmanship was an incorrect one. This was during the height of the GM ignition switch fiasco, not to mention the first round of Takata air bag replacements. The guy who did the repairs clearly just grabbed a screwdriver went to town prying anything and everything. Scratched up trim, broken tabs, you name it. I had to replace all of that.

The second round was done by my Chevy dealer. I had re-installed the broken trim prior to bringing it in, but there were no new blemishes on the trim once they were done. She left the shop being the same old rattle trap she was when going in. No better, no worse. If you're worried about damage like that, perhaps you can seek out the cheapest dash trim pieces you can and swap them before going in.

Good luck on your quest to find a good dealer to do the repairs!
Bookworm wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 pm
I have to wonder if there have been people that put their feet on the dash (passenger side) with broken legs due to that air bag.
Happens all the time. We actually had a member here many, many years ago who crashed his Vibe and his friend was injured in that manner.

ImageImage

Jbenrod

Re: New round of airbag recalls for Corolla/Matrix/Vibe

Post by Jbenrod » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm

It should be a relatively simple job to replace this airbag as you can see in the video below. There should not be significant scratches on the console or dash. I took out my glove box before dropping the car off as that eliminates one step. It's also a good time to clean or replace the cabin filter when it is returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YFvZjFDYA

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:37 am

1st gen is a piece of cake to replace the air bag. 2nd gen, not so much since there is no opening in the dash for the air bag. It just splits open the top of the dash cover when it deploys. Sure, it looks so much better not having that unsightly thing up top but that comes at a price when things have to be replaced and the entire dash has to come out.

The majority of the damage on ours was done from where they had to replace the sensing & diagnostic module for an unrelated recall (radio bezel, shifter bezel and shifter console all had to come out.) They did manage to nick the dash a bit around the air bag opening when they took the air bag itself out for that recall repair.

ImageImage

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:05 am

Honestly, as long as they don't outright break anything, I don't think many of us can complain about the recall damage. We _are_ driving cars that are no -less- than 10 years old, and in a few cases, they're 17 years old.

Coolharts

Post by Coolharts » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Just got my notice today, this will be my 3rd airbag replacement :o

The Buick dealer I have been taking it to has done a good job with them, the can hardly believe how many miles I have on the car until they say, "well it is a Toyota".

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Got two yesterday, for the 2005 and 2008. But it says they parts aren't available at this time and they'll send a notice when they are. So what was the point, really?
'04 Base Frosty, '08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 am

I now have a library of recall postcards AND hundreds of voice mails on my home land line :o Wife is really bugging me to get these done. I think I asked this before here BUT is there any way to find out which dealer has repaired these the most? It's just a matter of time to where I bite the bullet and have mine done and I'd like it to be done by a dealer with LOTS of experience so the odds of damage would be minimal.

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:41 am

tpollauf wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:07 am
I now have a library of recall postcards AND hundreds of voice mails on my home land line :o Wife is really bugging me to get these done. I think I asked this before here BUT is there any way to find out which dealer has repaired these the most? It's just a matter of time to where I bite the bullet and have mine done and I'd like it to be done by a dealer with LOTS of experience so the odds of damage would be minimal.
honestly, all dealers have done them a lot at this point. it doesn't just affect the vibe/matrix. TONS of cars are involved in this recall. The tech also has to be certified to deal with the airbag activation/deactivation. on all 6-7 of our vibes, we have not had one bad experience with our local dealer.

take some before pics if you feel necessary. on the first gen, if you remove the glove box, the shfiter trim and console there, and the airbag cover on the dash, you've done half the job for them.

2nd gens the whole dash has to come off. shhhhhh. i didn't tell you that.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am

I just typed my VIN into the GM website and got no returns. Is this latest recall for both first and second generation Vibes? I had all the previous airbag recalls taken care of.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Caretaker wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am
I just typed my VIN into the GM website and got no returns. Is this latest recall for both first and second generation Vibes? I had all the previous airbag recalls taken care of.
from the OP. And although it doesn't specifically mention the Vibe it should also be included for those years.
The Japanese automaker announced Wednesday that it would recall certain 2003 through 2008 model-year Corolla cars and 2005 through 2008 model-year Matrix cars.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:29 pm

thank you. My scroll bar is broken. :P I also wonder if this is going to be a situation where they rank order priority areas like they did the last time, with high humidity areas getting top bill?
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

Kheldar

Post by Kheldar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 am

Mark wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 pm
Got two yesterday, for the 2005 and 2008. But it says they parts aren't available at this time and they'll send a notice when they are. So what was the point, really?
Just got mine yesterday as well (in Canada), same message. They may as well have waited until the parts are ready before sending this notice, since I can't very well do anything about it until that time, anyway, except worry about my passanger (wife) now.

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 am

If you push the dealer about it, they can get the parts in usually. cite the recall itself and that you're concerned for your passengers.