CRV versus Forester

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

CRV versus Forester

Post by Caretaker »

I started my car buying journey the other day in case the Vibe decides to destroy its liver (catalytic converter) once and for all. Over the past 12 months, the 3 cars on my list were the CRV, Forester and CX-5. I'm sick of Toyota and won't consider the 2019 Rav4 unless it turns out to be the "best thing since sliced bread." On paper, the CRV has been my likely choice given it press reviews. My trip to the dealerships the other day bumped it off my list completely. Sitting in the CRV's driver's seat was completely unacceptable. Not only did I find the overall aura inside the cabin to be a bit too cramped, the driver has NO opportunity to move his/her legs to the sides during a long trip. To the left, your kneecap is rudely greeted by the window controls. To the right, the center console blocks any attempt to move your leg around. I now call it the Deep Vein Thrombosis of driver's seats. The cheap plastics were a bit of a turn off as well, but they all suffer from that affliction. The CX-5 has been off my list since the new design/model came out. The front nose makes the car look like an ant eater searching for its next meal. Mazda also decreased the size of the rear window, which is a no-no in my book. That leaves me with the Forester; the only AMC Pacer-like car left on the road it seems. Sitting in the current model, it felt very open and roomy. The driver's position was much better than the CRV. Cheap plastics abounded throughout and the seats were woefully unsupportive however. Nevertheless, the 2019 model is what I want in my garage. I don't care that the 2019 no longer has the turbo option nor the standard transmission. When I get the chance to drive one, the Forester can be a slow dog for all I care because the car will be driven in a zero elevation state. I'm just hoping that the seats get a bit more side support. I anticipate that sales of the 2019 will be awful given the howling I read from the Subaru faithful wanting a turbo and stick shift that nobody bought in years past. Hopefully that will keep inventory high so I can find a white base model with all the standard safety features coming in 2019.
hogdoctor

Re: CRV versus Forester

Post by hogdoctor »

Catalytic convertor is fixed easily with a hole saw....
Just sayin....
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

If the cat goes bad just weld in a universal and keep on rollin'. On my 03 GT I welded in Magnaflow 99205HM. $100 kitty, $50 to weld it in; problem has been gone since week 3 of the 3 years I've owned her. Even at that, a BRAND NEW cat is one new car payment vs. 3+ years worth?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Very true. I'm just not sure at the rate I'm burning oil, and given that I won't be paying money to tear apart the engine to find out what is causing it, how long would a "new" cat last me? Can it clog up quickly or are we talking 2+ years before it could break down again? If the latter, I agree; I'd keep this car and keep feeding it whiskey if I knew I could get more years out it with a new catalytic converter.
Also, I'm seeing $850 for a new converter on GM parts direct; and $309 not including shipping on Parts Hotlines Used Car Parts.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

What year is the car? Do you have emissions? I don't have emissions where I live so the efficiency of the cat isn't an issue; I was just tired of staring at the light on the dash. Surely you could get a few extra years out of it. I'd definitely go with an aftermarket MagnaFlow cat and have the old one cut out. You could even run some spark plug defoulers to trick the o2 sensor to keep the CEL off. Honestly, I'd go with a replacement cat and save that money towards a new car in a few years when the Vibe gives up the ghost.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I have the '09 1.8 liter like it says below my signature line :D

At 125,000 on the odometer, the car is running the best it ever has. I'm sorry I put the $2000 into the car to get a simple oil leak fixed in the timing gear cover, but I do have lifetime XM and I'd will keep the car until the next major failure. Sticking $5 a month in replenished oil ever month is hardly a wallet breaker. As long as the car gets stoned quietly and doesn't become an angry drunk, I'll keep feeding its habit. :twisted:
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

sorry. i didn't even look at the signature line. yeah, let it have the munchies and continue on your way ahah.