2016 Sonics on sale! looks like $12,500 for a Hatch

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

2016 Sonics on sale! looks like $12,500 for a Hatch

Post by Chiadog »

Caretaker

Re: 2016 Sonics on sale! looks like $12,500 for a Hatch

Post by Caretaker »

Not sure if this is a new model for the Sonic, but overall Consumer reports has only been so-so on the Sonic. It isn't loved by owners and gas mileage has been a bit anemic given it only has a 1.4 liter engine. No back seat room is also a no go for me. I'd rather buy a used Vibe than a new Sonic. As I age, I'm going bigger when my Vibe poops out. Although probably not at least 7+ years away from needing a replacement, if I needed a new/used car today, I would be looking at the amazing competition in the small SUV category. Picking a CX-5, RAV-4, CRV, or Forester is practically a no brainer right now. All four are very strong contenders for being some of the best cars on the road.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good prices! GM is offering 20% off MSRP on the Sonic (I believe it expires 6/15.) The Spark and Impala are also included.

Deals like this didn't exist on the Sonic when I bought mine in 2013. Then again, fuel was considerably more expensive and the Sonic was still a strong seller. The local inventory certainly reflected that, it was hard to find the exact color/trim/option configuration and had 1.4L turbo but luckily I found the one lone car in the area that was a perfect match 30 miles away.

We have several Sonics in the family and all have served us well. All in all it does a fine job at everything I need a car to do. Looks like a good time to upgrade mine to a 2016 but this one is so close to being paid off...

A refreshed Sonic is around the corner so perhaps that would make for more deals later on the outgoing model.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ColonelPanic wrote: A refreshed Sonic is around the corner so perhaps that would make for more deals later on the outgoing model.
At only 53K, you could easily put a few more years on the Sonic! And maybe the Sonic refresh will be significant.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Caretaker wrote: I'm going bigger when my Vibe poops out. Although probably not at least 7+ years away from needing a replacement, if I needed a new/used car today, I would be looking at the amazing competition in the small SUV category. Picking a CX-5, RAV-4, CRV, or Forester is practically a no brainer right now. All four are very strong contenders for being some of the best cars on the road.
Although I prefer Compact Wagons to SUV"s, I saw a new bright red CX-5 yesterday and it was Beautiful!!!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Chiadog wrote:
ColonelPanic wrote: A refreshed Sonic is around the corner so perhaps that would make for more deals later on the outgoing model.
At only 53K, you could easily put a few more years on the Sonic! And maybe the Sonic refresh will be significant.
Indeed! That little car has plenty of life left in it. It's been pampered since the day I drove it home.

The upcoming refresh is mostly fascia and trim changes. It has lost some of its quirks that I liked such as the exposed headlights and the digital gauge cluster. But I think the hatchback from the rear does look much better now than the current version. And there's some nicer features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Plus a power driver's seat which is a first for a car like this.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

1. you're always best buying the last model year of a GM product.
2. sonic owners generally seem to like their car from what i see on the facebook group
3. a couple of those LS's seem like stripper models
4. the only non-slushbox in that list is an RS

what I would want would be an LT (likely sedan) with the turbo engine. you get the 1.4T for a $700 upgrade to the LT model...has all the options i would want plus a tuneable turbo engine...
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ColonelPanic wrote: The upcoming refresh is mostly fascia and trim changes. It has lost some of its quirks that I liked such as the exposed headlights and the digital gauge cluster. But I think the hatchback from the rear does look much better now than the current version. And there's some nicer features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Plus a power driver's seat which is a first for a car like this.
I like all of the changes to the Hatch in this Update, except maybe the front-end, and it isn't terrible. It will be interesting to see if this increases Sonic sales.