Thoughts on driveline squeak?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
gtv237

Thoughts on driveline squeak?

Post by gtv237 »

Hey there, I am having a problem with my G8. I haven't had the chance to get it up on the rack and check it out yet but its bugging the crap out of me. The car has 60k hard miles but it drives fine. During the 1-2 shift and other random times there is a audible squeak coming from under the car. I am thinking possibly a bushing somewhere. I mean there is a lot of rubber in the driveline. Could be a transmission mount, driveshaft cushion, differential mount or carrier support bushing. I really do rip on this car, lots of drifting and burnouts so its very possible a bushing has had enough. Plus It isn't the lightest car in the world.

Any input?
jayoldschool

Re: Thoughts on driveline squeak?

Post by jayoldschool »

Get it up in the air on a hoist, and start pushing and wiggling everything. You'll find your noise (and probably a couple more). I'd also check on the G8 forum, someone will have experienced the same as you. Nice car, I'm a fan of fat fast four doors... I've got a 96 SS that I swapped a T56 six speed into.
tpollauf

Re: Thoughts on driveline squeak?

Post by tpollauf »

Which model do you have? Base V6, Gt w/6.0l, or the enviable GXP w/6.2l? Ours is the Gt w/6.0l and we get a little bit of driveshaft vibration at highway speeds only. Part of it is from the active fuel management and the other part could be from the driveshaft being out of balance. No audible squeaks at all. When ours shifts from 1st to second, it grabs quickly and there is a bit of a jerk. Not a big deal and it could be remedied by having the computer adjusted, from what I'm told anyways.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"