How much drive is in your AWD?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

How much drive is in your AWD?

Post by Chiadog »

Good video showing Subaru's hill climbing ability vs the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1VezHjzQ0#t=74.833439
RadioFreeVibe

Re: How much drive is in your AWD?

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

Interesting video, shows how ineffectual most AWD systems are.

A lot of Vibe AWD (03-06) owners on here have complained their AWD doesn't do much. I would say the same about my 05 AWD, as I can get front wheel spin in snow but no real rear wheel movement. After watching this vid, maybe the Vibe AWD is just gutless by design.

I have a line on a used rear differential for $450, and I was thinking of buying it just in case. I was even thinking I might swap the viscous couplers to rectify my Vibe's AWD performance. Now I'm wondering what there is to be gained?
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

RadioFreeVibe wrote: I have a line on a used rear differential for $450, and I was thinking of buying it just in case. I was even thinking I might swap the viscous couplers to rectify my Vibe's AWD performance. Now I'm wondering what there is to be gained?
Not much by the looks of it! I'd hang on to the $450. I was shocked at how weak the average All-Wheel-Drive system is. I was also shocked by how well the Subaru system climbs an incredibly steep hill.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I seriously considered an early 2000s Subaru Outback wagon V6 (the 4cyls have chronic head gasket problems) but opted for a 2WD Vibe instead for better mpg. If I had found one with low miles for a good price I might have gotten one instead, though.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I wish this vid would disappear... It's misleading, it's unfair, and it's old.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Interesting videos and reports. It's amazing how the majority of labeled AWD vehicles are useless when in a real crisis. Maybe they should start labeling all vehicles as "one wheel drive (most vehicles on the road), two wheel drive (most AWD vehicles on the road), or four wheel drive (vehicles with true locking hubs)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"