Fiat 500L: Glad I'm not the Guy...

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

Fiat 500L: Glad I'm not the Guy...

Post by Chiadog »

Glad I'm not the Guy who bought one of these in the last month or so! According to CarGurus, a kenosha Wisconsin Fiat dealer appears to be having a fire sale on their inventory of 2015 Fiat 500l CUV's! Image http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/search ... =105883389. This vehicle appears to be a pretty close match to a Vibe! I would have trouble passing up a deal like this, if I was in the market for a new car. Can anyone provide first-hand information on this vehicle?
ColonelPanic

Re: Fiat 500L: Glad I'm not the Guy...

Post by ColonelPanic »

For that price, why not? :D I checked locally hoping to find a similar deal but there are 0 at the Fiat studio and only 17 if I expand the search out to 100 miles. :shock: I looked into these a while back but haven't kept up with them so I have no idea what's going on with the lack of stock.

I like them, quirky looking things but look to be very useful vehicles. Very Vibe-like I think.

I don't know anyone who has one and see very few on the road here. I suspect the 500X is going to steal some of its thunder, what little it had to begin with.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

Fix
It
Again
Tony
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Great price! But not for me :shock: Looks like it needs to be on the other side of the world. Time will tell how dependable these become.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Has Fiat EVER made a good looking car ? Or for that matter any FRENCH automaker ? I know, I know the Bugatti Veyron is a feat of auto engineering but man it is hard to look at :|

I think our Vibes look more cute than the new Fiats 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Has Fiat EVER made a good looking car ?
Hey now!
If you bring it into the context of the time period you will admit that some Fiats looked very nice indeed.
Fiat 500 Topolino
Fiat Nuovo 500
Fiat 850 coupe
Fiat Uno
Fiat Punto

and who could ever forget the Fiat Spyder?

In concept the Fiat Uno is a progenitor of the Vibe. It's a 5 door hatchback without sporty or outdoorsy pretensions. Keep in mind it is smaller than the Vibe. My dad had 2 Uno and one Punto. They fit European, in particular Italian road condition extremely well. They did require their fixes though.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Hard to pass up a brand new car for 12,5. It'd also be hard for me to get in that and drive it everyday, too. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I scored my 2009 Vibe msrp $19,480 for a little over $12,000 plus tax in January 2009 thanks to dealer incentive, rebates and reg + bonus GM Card points. The buy of a lifetime.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Fiat's down at the bottom of the reliability ratings for cars sold in America right now. I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you don't mind the extra cost of upkeep and downtime.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

lannvouivre wrote:Fiat's down at the bottom of the reliability ratings for cars sold in America right now. I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you don't mind the extra cost of upkeep and downtime.
Agreed. These things are junk right off the showroom floor.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

When they cut the price another $12,000, I might be interested. The car is worth almost that much.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Not a lot of love for the Fiat, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for a new car. The Fiat 128SL I owned was dependable and a blast to drive! I'd still like to hear some driving impressions, if anyone has experience with the Fiat 500L.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote:The Fiat 128SL I owned was dependable and a blast to drive
1970s Fiat was different from modern Fiat, probably.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
kostby

Post by kostby »

L=Lounge, almost 24 inches longer than the base 500, but that's still pretty small, 163 inches total length, vs. almost 172 inches for my 2003 Vibe Base.
Also about 6 inches narrower outside.

Friend of mine has a bright red 500 Sport Turbo 1.4L 2-door. At 140 inches length, that's about 80% the length of my Vibe. Feels like it would fit inside the Vibe if I folded the seats down.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

According to cars.com/compare the Fiat 500L and Gen1 Vibe are nearly identical! With the Fiat being 5" shorter, 3" taller, and equal width! MPG's are the same and the Fiat's passenger space and luggage space are a little bit larger than the Vibe. Not sure how that translates to utility in the real world, though.
http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimComp ... 60FIC041A0
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

chiadog: are you looking to get another car?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

vibrologist wrote:chiadog: are you looking to get another car?
Not really, but my 05 Base has seen better days so I can see that the time may be coming! As I get older, I am less and less satisfied with the Vibes harsh ride and alignment and wheel balance "sensitive" front end! It's the Gen1's incredible utility, simplicity and dependability that makes it hard to part with!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

It's the Gen1's incredible utility, simplicity and dependability that makes it hard to part with!
You've got that right! And the harsh ride is the one thing that bothers me too.

I would like to try a Hyundai Elantra GT or a Hyundai Elantra Touring.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

My sister's Elantra GT is an absolute baaaabe. Love that thing. The ride is confident but not rough, and the manual shifter is very precise.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

lannvouivre wrote:My sister's Elantra GT is an absolute baaaabe. Love that thing. The ride is confident but not rough, and the manual shifter is very precise.
Lannvouvre: which exact model and year is it?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

BenWA

Post by BenWA »

vibrologist wrote:
It's the Gen1's incredible utility, simplicity and dependability that makes it hard to part with!
Harsh ride in a Vibe? Maybe because my last 2 vehicles were a 93 Geo Metro and a 78 Dodge B300 camper van. The Vibe feels as smooth as can be to me. Maybe you're due for new struts? :lol: My 03 has probably original struts (based on the rotten, torn boots) and feels fine.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

vibrologist wrote:

I would like to try a Hyundai Elantra GT or a Hyundai Elantra Touring.
The Hyundai Elantra Touring is on my short-list! Can anyone write a quick evaluation on this car?
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

lannvouivre wrote:My sister's Elantra GT is an absolute baaaabe. Love that thing. The ride is confident but not rough, and the manual shifter is very precise.
Can you compare/contrast it to your Vibe for utility, ride,road noise, handling, MPG's, etc?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

BenWA wrote:
vibrologist wrote:
Harsh ride in a Vibe? Maybe because my last 2 vehicles were a 93 Geo Metro and a 78 Dodge B300 camper van. The Vibe feels as smooth as can be to me. Maybe you're due for new struts? :lol: My 03 has probably original struts (based on the rotten, torn boots) and feels fine.
No, Ben, maybe you need to drive a VW Golf for a day on the same roads as you normally do or we need to wear out our struts as bad as yours! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

BenWA wrote:
vibrologist wrote:
Hey BenWA, I'm guessing you're not from northern Wisconsin (Washington state maybe?) If it weren't for frost heaves on the secondary roads caused from frost penetration to 4 or 5 feet, I would be OK with the Vibes ride quality. Probably the original struts are not helping anything!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote:
Can you compare/contrast it to your Vibe for utility, ride,road noise, handling, MPG's, etc?
All better except maybe interior space for cargo, but that's to be expected since safety regulations kind of move toward making the structure of the car fatter without making the outside of the car bigger. To be fair, however, you may be better off looking at the KIA Forte5 because KIAs tend to be more reliable and they offer a turbocharged engine that I think puts down more than first gen Vibe GTs while getting better mileage. I can't vouch for interior noise for the KIAs because I have not been in one, though.

EDIT: Also I think her elantra is a 2014 or 2015. It's pre-facelift where they changed the grill.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

lannvouivre wrote:
Chiadog wrote:
All better except maybe interior space for cargo, but that's to be expected since safety regulations kind of move toward making the structure of the car fatter without making the outside of the car bigger. To be fair, however, you may be better off looking at the KIA Forte5 because KIAs tend to be more reliable and they offer a turbocharged engine that I think puts down more than first gen Vibe GTs while getting better mileage. I can't vouch for interior noise for the KIAs because I have not been in one, though.

EDIT: Also I think her elantra is a 2014 or 2015. It's pre-facelift where they changed the grill.
Thanks Lanny, Sounds like a dcecent Compact! Cargo space is important to me, and especially a flat cargo floor! I can't understand the designers who put an 8" lift-over at the hatch.