Grand Am or Grand Prix before Vibe?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Melissa18L

Grand Am or Grand Prix before Vibe?

Post by Melissa18L »

I loved my '96 Grand Am but my mechanic (who lived on my couch) refused to work on it any more! Bought my '05 Vibe at the Toyota dealership he was service manager at. Also had a '93 Grand Prix.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
vibenvy

Re: Grand Am or Grand Prix before Vibe?

Post by vibenvy »

We had Sunbirds and Sunfires before we got our Vibes...

My parents bought a brand new 1989 Medium Gray Metallic Sunbird LE Sedan in the fall of 1988. We had it until 1997 when my dad was in an accident and it was totaled. It had around 315,000 miles on it when it was totaled.

My parents bought a brand new 1994 Bright Aqua Metallic Sunbird LE Sedan in January of 1994. We had it until January of 2013 when we sold it to a local junkyard for $275.00 because it was so badly rusted. It had 268,010 miles on it when the junkyard hauled it away.

My mom bought a brand new 1998 Black Sunfire SE Sedan in August of 1998. She had it until May of 2009 when she traded it in on her Vibe. It had around 201,000 miles on it when it was traded in.

I bought a brand new 2002 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire GT Coupe in November of 2002. I ended up selling it (still regret it to this day) in June of 2008. It had 64,644 miles on it when it was sold.

I bought a used 2002 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire SE Sedan in July of 2007. I had it until April of 2009 when I traded it in on my Vibe. It had 65,934 miles on it when it was traded in.

Yeah... we love our Pontiacs :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to the club! I also had a 96 Grand Am after 150k miles it became a maintenance nightmare, and sold it at 160k. A couple years later I bought a 06 Vibe, which now has 190k miles on it and still going strong :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

I couldn't and still can't decide if I prefer GM or MOPAR....

1992 Plymouth Acclaim <~~~~ did you know these could go 120 MPH!?!?!?! (given to my middle brother) 116k
1996 Grand Am (given to my little brother - he drove it till I couldn't fix it anymore) 95k (165k at burial :roll: )
1997 Dodge Stratus (traded for Saturn) 123k
2002 Saturn SC-1 (traded for the Pilot) 115k
1997 Dodge Ram 4x2 My BEAST! 8-) She is rusty and old but turn the key and she still purrs (err growls) 184k
2008 PONTIAC VIBE!!! Bought new for my Bride, still going strong but now she is MINE! 106k
2003 Honda Pilot (Drowned ---- long story.......) 277k :o
2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited ( The Bride's Ride) 110k

Side note: All my vehicles have been black, sorta.

The acclaim was grey.
The Ram is silvery grey and green. (and rust too.)
And the Chrysler is light black (or maybe alpine white. :mrgreen: ..Does that count it is HER car?)
Last edited by mktrat on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

I went from a 98 Grand AM with 275,000 miles to my Vibe. Moved onto Subaru a year later.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibenvy wrote:We had Sunbirds and Sunfires before we got our Vibes...

My parents bought a brand new 1989 Medium Gray Metallic Sunbird LE Sedan in the fall of 1988. We had it until 1997 when my dad was in an accident and it was totaled. It had around 315,000 miles on it when it was totaled.

My parents bought a brand new 1994 Bright Aqua Metallic Sunbird LE Sedan in January of 1994. We had it until January of 2013 when we sold it to a local junkyard for $275.00 because it was so badly rusted. It had 268,010 miles on it when the junkyard hauled it away.

My mom bought a brand new 1998 Black Sunfire SE Sedan in August of 1998. She had it until May of 2009 when she traded it in on her Vibe. It had around 201,000 miles on it when it was traded in.

I bought a brand new 2002 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire GT Coupe in November of 2002. I ended up selling it (still regret it to this day) in June of 2008. It had 64,644 miles on it when it was sold.

I bought a used 2002 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire SE Sedan in July of 2007. I had it until April of 2009 when I traded it in on my Vibe. It had 65,934 miles on it when it was traded in.

Yeah... we love our Pontiacs :D!
wow. y'all had a lot of sunfires!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

mktrat wrote:I couldn't and still can't decide if I prefer GM or MOPAR....

1992 Plymouth Acclaim <~~~~ did you know these could go 120 MPH!?!?!?! (given to my middle brother) 116k
1996 Grand Am (given to my little brother - he drove it till I couldn't fix it anymore) 95k (165k at burial :roll: )
1997 Dodge Stratus (traded for Saturn) 123k
2002 Saturn SC-1 (traded for the Pilot) 115k
1997 Dodge Ram 4x2 My BEAST! 8-) She is rusty and old but turn the key and she still purrs (err growls) 184k
2008 PONTIAC VIBE!!! Bought new for my Bride, still going strong but now she is MINE! 106k
2003 Honda Pilot (Drowned ---- long story.......) 277k :o
2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited ( The Bride's Ride) 110k

Side note: All my vehicles have been black, sorta.

The acclaim was grey.
The Ram is silvery grey and green. (and rust too.)
And the Chrysler is light black (or maybe alpine white. :mrgreen: ..Does that count it is HER car?)
so loved my '96 grand am. i always wanted a 2-door car. she was so fun. burgandy with pink stripes. i drove her for 2 years with NO heat...in pennsylvania!
my vibe almost drowned! i would have strangled my husband. it was close.
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Melissa18L wrote:so loved my '96 grand am. i always wanted a 2-door car. she was so fun. burgandy with pink stripes. i drove her for 2 years with NO heat...in pennsylvania!

I just had a black 4 door. Two options aluminum rims and an automatic.

Manual locks & windows
AM/FM ONLY!!!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

mktrat wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:so loved my '96 grand am. i always wanted a 2-door car. she was so fun. burgandy with pink stripes. i drove her for 2 years with NO heat...in pennsylvania!

I just had a black 4 door. Two options aluminum rims and an automatic.

Manual locks & windows
AM/FM ONLY!!!
i had AWESOME wheels on mine. bought rally wheels off a girl who totaled her car. 16" rims with tires for $200! i had power locks, but not windows. my Vibe is the 1st car i've owned with power windows!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Melissa18L wrote:wow. y'all had a lot of sunfires!
Yep, a total of 2 Sunbirds and 3 Sunfires! At one point, we had 1 Sunbird and 3 Sunfires all at the same time :P! Great little cars! I'd love to get a 2000 Sunfire GT Convertible some day to have as a fun little summer (only) cruiser!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibenvy wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:wow. y'all had a lot of sunfires!
Yep, a total of 2 Sunbirds and 3 Sunfires! At one point, we had 1 Sunbird and 3 Sunfires all at the same time :P! Great little cars! I'd love to get a 2000 Sunfire GT Convertible some day to have as a fun little summer (only) cruiser!
that would be so fun! you'd have to get a fun color, yellow?
my dream fun vehicle is a 1976-or-78 international scout in yellow, just like my pap's :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Melissa18L wrote:that would be so fun! you'd have to get a fun color, yellow?
Unfortunately, the Convertibles never came in any wild colors like yellow :(. I'd most likely end up with an Ultra Silver Metallic one because, as you can tell by my Vibe (Liquid Platinum Metallic [silver]), I have a "thing" for silver vehicles :mrgreen:!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibenvy wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:that would be so fun! you'd have to get a fun color, yellow?
Unfortunately, the Convertibles never came in any wild colors like yellow :(. I'd most likely end up with an Ultra Silver Metallic one because, as you can tell by my Vibe (Liquid Platinum Metallic [silver]), I have a "thing" for silver vehicles :mrgreen:!
That's one color I've never wanted! I did (well technically my husband) had a gold intrepid. It hid the dirt nicely. Silver to me always seems like rental car color, but on a Vibe its still fun. Especially with some black trim!
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Sorry for the late post but I just got here ! :D
We had a really nice low mileage(1998-1999) gold/brown Grand Am that had been given to us by my brother-in- law that was totaled one night when I was pulling into McDonalds for a milkshake by a girl that rearended me while on her cell phone. My daughters first car was a 1999 red Grand Prix that she found and we convinced her it was too high then secretly bought and hid it behind the garage for her 16th birthday. We traded it in on the family 2003 Lava Vibe I have now. I guess this all stems from my first car which was a 1973 Pontiac Lemans 4 door which I paid a whole $150 for. It would burn the tires off for blocks which was all I cared about when I was 16. I have had my share of Oldsmobiles which I loved but Pontiacs were always a little "sportier" than the other GM products. I'm proud to own my Vibe because it was kind of a last "hurrah " for the forward thinkers at Pontiac and has the kind of details that made Pontiac a stand out for a lot of years. To this day I still wish that they had killed off Buick instead. :geek:
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

handmedown03 wrote:To this day I still wish that they had killed off Buick instead. :geek:
I couldn't agree more! Stupid GM :roll:!