'08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
vibrologist

'08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L

Post by vibrologist »

A week ago we bought an 08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L. It is my son's car and replaced his rusty '98 Mazda Protege, 5 speed manual. The Mazda still runs nicely but the rust, an oil leak, and busted A/C spelled the "OUT!" for it. The Hyundai is 10 years younger, has about 102K miles on it, automatic and proper working A/C. I am planning on getting better tires and a wheel alignment done. It is a comfortable family sedan. My son is a happy camper now. Incidentally he now has the newest vehicle in our family and the one with the fewest miles on the odometer. Go figure!
08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L.jpg
08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L small (2).jpg
08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L small (2).jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
Of course it had to be an inexpensive car. There are reasons why it was inexpensive: hail dimples, mismatched paint and misaligned fender helped to drop the price. I think it is a good choice for a student. It should be reliable enough to not become a distraction while he crams for exams.

We immediately went to the gas station and found the first problem: the fuel door would not open with the push of the button. It took us a 2 or 3 minutes to figure out there is a manual release inside the trunk.

I'll be updating the thread once in a while.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joatmon

Re: '08 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L

Post by joatmon »

That looks like a good car for a student. A little cosmetic imperfection is fine, will make any future scrapes or dings less stressful. 08 Sonata seemed to get decent crash safety ratings.

Weird about having to open the trunk to open the gas door.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

joatmon wrote:That looks like a good car for a student. A little cosmetic imperfection is fine, will make any future scrapes or dings less stressful. 08 Sonata seemed to get decent crash safety ratings.

Weird about having to open the trunk to open the gas door.
What you say about a little cosmetic imperfection is absolutely true. Honestly, I don't want a perfect car myself as long as it is no embarrassment.
The gas door emergency release is well thought out. The electric release can fail for many reasons. A little cable pull will always work.

I found a set of near new Michelin X-Ice tires for the Sonata and had them mounted today. I am amazed how quiet these winter tires are :o . I also had the wheels aligned. On one wheel the caster is a little off. No problem though. They also replaced a TPM Sensor. This will be the first time my son has a car without a warning light on. :D
Then I replaced the air filter (no problem) and the cabin air filter. This was not as easy as I expected. It seemed I couldn't get the old filter out. The tray was caked in. After braking the tabs I resorted to prying it out with small screw drivers and a little pry bar. A $10 off a $25 bill coupon came in very handy.
I also cleaned the MAF sensor and checked the spark plugs. They were near new. And the guy who replaced them forgot to tighten the hold downs of the coils.
Hyundai Sonata Michelin X-Ice.jpg
Hyundai Sonata Michelin X-Ice.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Hyundai Sonata Michelin X-Ice (2).jpg
Hyundai Sonata Michelin X-Ice (2).jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Guess which one is old?
Guess which one is old?
Hyundai Sonata cabin air filter (2).jpg (84.99 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Look at the fall colors !!!!! :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Look at the fall colors !!!!! :lol:
Fall, which year?
It's a Chia-filter. Just add water and grow your maple tree. :lol:

Friday night I searched CL again and scored a great deal: a complete set of wheels with TPM sensors and wheel covers for $25. I never thought I would find a set this cheap, this soon and right here in my town. :D
hyundai wheels(3).jpg
hyundai wheels(3).jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Hyundai wheels(2).jpg
Hyundai wheels(2).jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
hyundai wheels(4).jpg
hyundai wheels(4).jpg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

An update: The Sonata has now 114000 miles on the odometer and did very well. Since my son is studying abroad I have taken it over and lavished some love on it. I described the details here: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/cars-of- ... anding-in/
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibrologist wrote:An update: The Sonata has now 114000 miles on the odometer and did very well. Since my son is studying abroad I have taken it over and lavished some love on it. I described the details here: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/cars-of- ... anding-in/
You clearly have too much time on your hands as evident by the very detailed write up on this car! Very nicely done BTW ;) Also an interesting car forum site there too! Great job
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

You clearly have too much time on your hands as evident by the very detailed write up on this car! Very nicely done BTW Also an interesting car forum site there too! Great job
Thanks-Beats watching TV!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Your write up is almost enough to make me consider a Sonata for my next car. Almost.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

runningslow wrote:Your write up is almost enough to make me consider a Sonata for my next car. Almost.
That's what my brother said!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe