Honda HRV may be the best Vibe Clone yet!

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jake75

Honda HRV may be the best Vibe Clone yet!

Post by jake75 »

I read in USA Today that sales of the new 2016 Honda HRV are impressive. I checked one local dealer's inventory and all he has are AWD.
MSRP's are no more than what they were for the 2009-10 Vibes and more bells and whistles. Length is a hair shy of the Vibe..
see http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /28780777/
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Baltovibe

Re: Honda HRV may be the best Vibe Clone yet!

Post by Baltovibe »

jake75 wrote:I read in USA Today that sales of the new 2016 Honda HRV are impressive. I checked one local dealer's inventory and all he has are AWD.
MSRP's are no more than what they were for the 2009-10 Vibes and more bells and whistles. Length is a hair shy of the Vibe..
see http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /28780777/
Link didn't work. Try this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... s/28780777
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

The CVT along with the AWD model would be nice, along with the light interior
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I got to sit in it yesterday. I could have taken one for a drive. They were having a "show and tell" outside my local Costco yesterday. They gave anyone a $10 Visa card who drove one (after taking a breathalyzer) or simply listened to the Representative as he did a walk around. I found the driver's leg room too small for comfort. I was also NOT impressed with the fact that every level has AWD except the base level. The base has the 6 speed manual tranny, while all other levels have the CVT and AWD. Having owned AWD on my first gen Vibe, I think it is a complete waste unless you live in severe winter climates. The things I liked about it were how the side mirror camera comes on the center screen when you put on the right blinker. This keeps your eyes more front center, keeps you from moving your head/eyes/view completely to the right, AND gives you 60% larger viewing area of the entire right side as you are not blinded by the B and C pillars. Once I had the driver's seat all the way back, I climbed into the rear seat behind the driver. It was like sitting in a Vibe; not for an adult in anything more than a short trip. In short, it did not wow me. I'll wait for the Mazda CX3 to come out in a few months.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Are you saying that all the levels above the base are AWD ? I think AWD is an option.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I found a Honda HRV LX with CVT AWD at John Hinderer
Honda in Heath, Ohio MSRP $22,ooo and change so you can get a base model with AWD or without.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes, the gentleman told me that the AWD was standard on all models except the base model. And as you explained, the base model can be had with AWD for an upcharge. I'd certainly consult the Honda website to confirm all this.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I was at the Honda Website and it lists AWD as optional on all levels. Unfortunately all I found in inventory at Columbus area dealers have been AWD. That might be because every non-AWD is sold before it gets to the dealer.
Last edited by jake75 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

All trims have the AWD as an option.

In the same class is the Chevy Trax, definitely a cut-rate version of the Encore, but you still get the same cargo versatility as the Vibe.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I always wondered why Subaru didn't offer fwd. My view has always been that for most people AWD is not needed and only results in more cost, lower mpg and another thing to go wrong.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

jake75 wrote:I always wondered why Subaru didn't offer fwd. My view has always been that for most people AWD is not needed and only results in more cost, lower mpg and another thing to go wrong.
My feeling exactly.

Also, here in blizzard land, we have a saying: "Four wheel drive allows you to go in the ditch twice as fast." And, you get dug in four times deeper.
Last edited by Vulcan05 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It's definitely nice to see another Vibe-esque vehicle on the market!
Caretaker wrote:Having owned AWD on my first gen Vibe, I think it is a complete waste unless you live in severe winter climates.
jake75 wrote:My view has always been that for most people AWD is not needed and only results in more cost, lower mpg and another thing to go wrong.
Vulcan05 wrote:My feeling exactly.
I agree 100% with all these statements! My dad and I were looking at a Chevy Trax at the local Chevy dealer a while back (on a Sunday of course :P!). It was FWD and my dad was saying that he would want one with AWD. I told him AWD is really not necessary for us here in Chicagoland. Our winters are not that bad. It will only add more money to the price of the vehicle and achieve lower gas mileage numbers than a FWD. Not to mention, it's just one more thing to have to maintain and one more thing that can go wrong. He pretty much agreed with me after I pointed all that out to him :mrgreen:.
Vulcan05 wrote:Also, here in blizzard land, we have a saying: "Four wheel drive allows you to go in the ditch twice as fast." And, you and get dug in four times deeper.
I like that quote! It's true. Last winter I saw more AWD and 4x4 vehicles in the ditch than FWD. People think if their vehicle has AWD or is a 4x4, they're invinicible in the snow and ice :roll:. Give me a FWD in the snow any day!
Caretaker wrote:They gave anyone a $10 Visa card who drove one (after taking a breathalyzer)
This made me laugh out loud :lol:!

It's actually pretty sad though that they have to give people a breathalyzer. Did they also ask to see a valid driver's license and proof of insurance?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
JPark

Post by JPark »

Caretaker wrote:Yes, the gentleman told me that the AWD was standard on all models except the base model. And as you explained, the base model can be had with AWD for an upcharge. I'd certainly consult the Honda website to confirm all this.
The gentleman is full of malarky. Here in Phoenix it's pretty hard to find an AWD (if one was so inclined) in any trim level. It's a matter of where you live. If you want FWD, they may have to order one in for you.

My impression: annoyed that the moon roof is standard on all trims but LX, as is the crummy touch screen interface. The moon roof takes 2" out of the headroom and makes my head scrape (6'2" tall) even with the seat all the way down. Dimension and spec-wise, it's very Vibe-esque.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted