T&C Tire/Brake/other question

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jake75

T&C Tire/Brake/other question

Post by jake75 »

Our 2007 T&C with 33,000 miles is not driven a lot. Sometimes it just sits for several weeks. Last Sept. when I drove it after such a spell there was a pronounced thumping with the frequency increasing with speed. You could also feel it in the brake pedal when apply the brakes. After driving it for a couple of days locally it went away. Drove it on a 2,000 mile long trip after that without any issue. Last week (May 2015) I noticed this again - seemed even more pronounced than the prior time. After driving it about 60 miles it seems to have almost entirely gone away go away. Could it be rust on the rotors? The tires flattening slightly due to lo sitting unused? (The front tires have about 18,000 miles on them) Something with the CV joint? I realize that a diagnosis by email is just speculative but thought some here might have a clue.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
SeattleJeremy

Re: T&C Tire/Brake/other question

Post by SeattleJeremy »

How old are the tires?

I suspect the tires are to blame.
Rubber is an organic material and breaks down in two ways.
1. Tread-ware life: How many miles can be driven before the treads are gone.
2. Time since the tire was vulcanize. The tires actual age in years.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=138
While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
vibrologist

Re: T&C Tire/Brake/other question

Post by vibrologist »

It's the tires. Tires are more than rubber, they have steel belts as well. As the car is driven the tires change shape in their aspect right above the contact patch: the sidewalls bulge out and the tread flattens. When you park the car the same thing happens. Eventually the tire is reshaped at that spot. When you drive again the tire heats up and the centrifugal forces help to bring it close to the original shape.That is why after some driving the noise and vibration get better.
If you can, jack up the car when you park it for longer periods.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476