Zach's 1985 Toyota Tercel DLX Hatchback

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
lannvouivre

Zach's 1985 Toyota Tercel DLX Hatchback

Post by lannvouivre »

It's manual. It has 5 speeds.
4 cylinders.
1 carburetor.
5 doors.
ONE MISSION.

Just picked it up from Irowiki.
Needs a little TLC. Here is MY to-do list, since I'm the resident "mechanic" (apprentice :( )

To do:

Buy:
vacuum line, fuel hose, 2 o-rings
more GUNK engine cleaner
Grey RTV silicone
4 sheets 220, 2 sheets 400 grit wet/dry paper
pipe cleaner

Do:
Finish cleaning engine/trans
Clean block surface with wire attachment; cover block surface
Remove air injection...theoretically
Remove EGR stuff temporatily and clean valve
Clean cylinder head etc
Rekey locks
Install locks
Install rear window cranks
Clean fuel sender
Check filler plug and then drain transmission
Fill trans 25% synth, rest conventional
Remove inner tie rod ends and rack boot gaiters; replace
Replace struts
Pull engine oil pan and clean it
Gasket the pan up
24 hour wait -> fill with oil, replace filter
Replace struts -> inspect insulators
Replace bypass o-rings
Install exhaust manifold and intake manifold
Modify head gasket
Install head
Set timing
Install timing cover
Bolt on downpipe
Replace thermostat
Replace heater hoses
Install water outlet housing
Install water pump pulley
Install timing cover
Install PCV grommet and PCV valve
Install steel vavuum lines
Install fuel hoses
Install carb
Install new vac lines
Hook up electricals
Replace radiator hoses
Install drain petcock
Fill with coolant
Replace spark plugs and wires
Test start
Install air cleaner

Zach needs to get it registered and we need to find out what muffler layout the welder wants to do. It will be 2" from the cat all the way back and will use a Thrush turbo muffler.

Next posts will be my progress shots.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
lannvouivre

Re: Zach's 1985 Toyota Tercel DLX Hatchback

Post by lannvouivre »

Valve cover is off. Zach wanted a nice oil filler cap. I dug one out of my project box, popped the stupid Shocker sticker off it, and slapped that puppy on!

Everything looks ok. Slight scoring on some cam lobe heels.

Pistons look good. Cylinder walls look meh.

I'm not entirely familiar with reading valves. On my 1ZZ, they were black with either the exhaust or the intake valves slightly red. On cats with coolant getting into the cylinders, the exhaust valves would be white like this. Cylinder 4's exhaust valve is caked thick.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Neat project! I love any vehicle that is unique. It always makes me smile when I see something on the road that you don't typically see too often. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Been doing some more work since all the parts got in.
I pulled the expansion plugs out a while back and they were caked with deposits...probably from tap water. :roll:

So far, I've replaced the expansion plugs, vac lines, underhood fuel hoses, head gasket, exhaust valves, crank and cam seals (front), valve cover gasket, plenum gasket, and tons of mounting hardware (I have a thing for flanged bolts). I put an oil filler cap on I had lying around from another project, so I popped The Shocker sticker off it and now Zach's Tercel has some bling.

I also replaced the plug wires and reseated the valves. I don't need much more before it's running again and I'm on my favorite part: reassembly with nice, shiny clean parts <3. I just finished setting timing and installing the plug wires and sickspeed wire separators

Here's the head installed again. I blew the cylinders out with compressed air for a good 20 minutes because anytime air blew in the water jacket, hunks of calcium deposits would fly everywhere.

As you can see from this image, the piston decks were pretty clean, so I think the bottom end got some attention recently. There was some crap in the oil pan, which a few people think may be some additive, that was dirtying up the oil instantly every time it was changed. The pan gasket was totally shredded, so I cleaned it off and replaced it with a bead of grey RTV.

I have to patch this up before I can install it and finish the job.