Honda HRV

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
JPark

Honda HRV

Post by JPark »

Anybody else intrigued by the Honda HRV? It's due to be officially unveiled at the end of the month. Comparing exterior dimensions with my 2006 Vibe, my Vibe is almost 3" longer, but the Vezel that the HRV is based on (available in Japan) is comparable in height and width.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
Chiadog

Re: Honda HRV

Post by Chiadog »

Personally, I'd rather see a cutting edge FWD Compact Wagon. But the Honda HRV looks great to me for a CUV and I look forward to seeing one in person.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Compact crossovers bug me. Weee, it's a crossover, not a lame wagon or hatchback! But... Lower it and you get a hatchback. But then they narrow the rear roof to make it seem taller and cut down on its practicality and ruin the hatchback look.

I'd much rather wait for the Scion IM. It's the Toyota Auris in other markets. And I think this is why the Matrix was killed.

JPark

Post by JPark »

KITT222 wrote:Compact crossovers bug me. Weee, it's a crossover, not a lame wagon or hatchback! But... Lower it and you get a hatchback. But then they narrow the rear roof to make it seem taller and cut down on its practicality and ruin the hatchback look.

I'd much rather wait for the Scion IM. It's the Toyota Auris in other markets. And I think this is why the Matrix was killed.
In my mind, the first gen Vibe is a compact crossover. It has higher clearance than your standard hatchback, raised ceiling, and a more upright ride position. The Vibe was a compact crossover done right. The Juke is a compact crossover done wrong.

I'll keep an eye on the Scion IM, but it looks like it might be too small for my needs. The Auris is 5" shorter length and 2" shorter height than 1st gen Vibe.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

JPark wrote:
KITT222 wrote:Compact crossovers bug me. Weee, it's a crossover, not a lame wagon or hatchback! But... Lower it and you get a hatchback. But then they narrow the rear roof to make it seem taller and cut down on its practicality and ruin the hatchback look.

In my mind, the first gen Vibe is a compact crossover. It has higher clearance than your standard hatchback, raised ceiling, and a more upright ride position. The Vibe was a compact crossover done right. The Juke is a compact crossover done wrong.

I'll keep an eye on the Scion IM, but it looks like it might be too small for my needs. The Auris is 5" shorter length and 2" shorter height than 1st gen Vibe.
Auris is shorter than I realized. Height to me is irrelevant (unless you're referring to ride height/ground clearance). New and newish automobiles have far too much useless headroom. I'm not a short man, over 6ft, and having a foot of useless space above my head is, wait for it, useless. This is to bolster cubic ft of space claims and to give the feeling of greater space to customers. To me, it's space I cannot use, so it's useless. All it does is add weight and drag.

Sorry, got on a bit of a tangent there. I like the look of the Auris. Now, throw in Toyota's new 2L turbo and you've got a good replacement for the old GT.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:I like the look of the Auris. Now, throw in Toyota's new 2L turbo and you've got a good replacement for the old GT.
Waitwaitwait - Toyota finally got with the program and put a turbo to one of their engines?

I KNEW the CVT was the harbinger of Toyota evolving! Finally. Maybe the next Corolla won't STILL be of relation to the 03 model.

Anyway, I'd put solid money down on the Camry 2.4 at best. Look to the Corolla otherwise. In Europe it gets a 1.6 petrol, and in New Zealand/Australia it has the same 1.8L that the second gen Vibes (09/10) got (2ZR-FE). Will they add more power for America? Hard to say. The Scion brand has always been more about the body and less about real power.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

KITT222 wrote:
ImUrOBGYN wrote:I like the look of the Auris. Now, throw in Toyota's new 2L turbo and you've got a good replacement for the old GT.
Waitwaitwait - Toyota finally got with the program and put a turbo to one of their engines?

I KNEW the CVT was the harbinger of Toyota evolving! Finally. Maybe the next Corolla won't STILL be of relation to the 03 model.

Anyway, I'd put solid money down on the Camry 2.4 at best. Look to the Corolla otherwise. In Europe it gets a 1.6 petrol, and in New Zealand/Australia it has the same 1.8L that the second gen Vibes (09/10) got (2ZR-FE). Will they add more power for America? Hard to say. The Scion brand has always been more about the body and less about real power.
It's first use will be in the new Lexus RX. Expect it to start being used in everything Toyota at some point. I just can't imagine it'd be any different than their bread and butter 4 and 6 cylinders they currently drop in everything, in various states of tune, of course.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
JPark

Post by JPark »

USA Today has a preview of the HRV, including video:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /19185227/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some more pics:
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/galler ... uts_debut/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like AWD will be available on the US model. More details will be released at the LA Auto Show tomorrow (Wednesday).
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I like it. They definitely cleaned up the look over the CRV. Wow, that car is FUGLY... :shock:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
JPark

Post by JPark »

Some specs are coming in:
From Honda's press release:
Wheelbase, in. 102.8
Length, in. 169.1
Width, in. 69.8
Height, in. 63.2
Passenger volume, cu. ft. 100.1 (LX), 96.1 (EX, EX-L)
Cargo volume, cu. ft. 24.3 rear seats up
58.8 rear seats down

From http://wardsauto.com/management-strateg ... -fit-gen-y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
"The HR-V’s power is generated from a 1.8L SOHC 16-valve 4-cyl. engine with i-VTEC valvetrain, producing a peak 138 hp at 6,500 rpm and 127 lb.-ft. (172 Nm) of torque at 4,300 rpm.

The engine is combined with a fuel-efficient continuously variable transmission with Honda G-design shift logic, or a 6-speed manual available only in front-wheel-drive models. The AWD units sport Honda’s Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System, for all-weather traction and control.

Standard equipment on all HR-V models, including the LX, EX and EX-L trims, include power windows, power mirrors and power door and tailgate locks, electronic parking brake, rearview camera, aluminum-alloy wheels, tilt and telescoping steering wheel with audio and cruise controls, Bluetooth technology, HandsFreeLink phone interface and Pandora radio.

Certain trim packages come equipped with Honda’s 7-in. touchscreen Display Audio telematics interface, Honda LaneWatch, Smart Entry/Push-Button Start, paddle shifters, SiriusXM radio, HD Radio and Honda Digital Traffic, heated front seats, power sunroof, embedded navigation and leather trim."

No word yet on fuel efficiency, price, availability (2015), but for me this is looking like a potentially great Vibe replacement.
JPark

Post by JPark »

Dimensions compared to 2006 Vibe (my model. Man, I love that car.)

____________________________2006_Vibe___2016_HR-V
Wheelbase___________________102.4_______102.8
Length______________________171.9_______169.1
Width_______________________69.9________69.8
Height______________________62.2________63.2
Passenger_Volume_cu._ft._____96.1_______100.1
Cargo_(seats_up)_cu._ft.______19.3________24.3
Cargo_(Seats_down)_cu._ft.___54.1________58.8

For me, this is now at the top of the list of potential Vibe replacements. I just need to get a couple more years out of my Vibe 'til I can start looking for a used HR-V...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The HRV is actually pretty decent looking and the specs are definitely very close to the 1st gen Vibe. Will be interesting to see them in person once they start hitting dealer lots and the road.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Specs are that close? Impressive. Though very weird that our little cars are considered that small. Though it's more proof that the Vibe was ahead of the curve. And since it has AWD I'm suddenly interested. I'd be more interested if it didn't look like its upper lip was pulled back/missing. This thing and the Auris are up there for the new cars.
MechaBouncer

Post by MechaBouncer »

This has become my secondary candidate as an upgrade from my Vibe. It seems very comparable to the original Vibe, which is very nice. Although I'd most likely go for the lowest level LX trim so that I can get physical climate control and radio buttons instead of touch screens. They should start going on sale May 15th. It's coming down to this or the Mazda CX-3, but that doesn't come out until August or September.
Current: "Phoenix" 2009 Vibe GT in Red Hot Metallic
Previous: "Sonic" 2003 Vibe in Neptune Blue
Mark

Post by Mark »

JPark wrote:Dimensions compared to 2006 Vibe (my model. Man, I love that car.)

____________________________2006_Vibe___2016_HR-V____2012_CR-V
Wheelbase___________________102.4_______102.8________103.1
Length______________________171.9_______169.1________179.4
Width_______________________69.9________69.8_________71.6
Height______________________62.2________63.2__________65.1
Passenger_Volume_cu._ft._____96.1_______100.1__________101.5
Cargo_(seats_up)_cu._ft.______19.3________24.3__________35.2
Cargo_(Seats_down)_cu._ft.___54.1________58.8___________70.9

For me, this is now at the top of the list of potential Vibe replacements. I just need to get a couple more years out of my Vibe 'til I can start looking for a used HR-V...
Added the specs for my 2012 CR-V. Looks like the HR-V is very slightly smaller but with a 1.8L vs the 2.4 of the CR-V. My overall and highway mileage are very comparable between the Vibe and CR-V. I guess I would consider it as a Vibe replacement, if I ever replace my Vibes. By then Honda might have a PR-V or QR-V or something.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
JPark

Post by JPark »

ImUrOBGYN wrote: Auris is shorter than I realized. Height to me is irrelevant (unless you're referring to ride height/ground clearance). New and newish automobiles have far too much useless headroom. I'm not a short man, over 6ft, and having a foot of useless space above my head is, wait for it, useless. This is to bolster cubic ft of space claims and to give the feeling of greater space to customers. To me, it's space I cannot use, so it's useless. All it does is add weight and drag.

Sorry, got on a bit of a tangent there. I like the look of the Auris. Now, throw in Toyota's new 2L turbo and you've got a good replacement for the old GT.
This is a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks". To me, head room is one of the most important features when shopping for a smallish car. I'm 6'2" and absolutely hate my wife's Mazda 3 'cause my head touches the ceiling. My main complaint with the HR-V is that, with the moon roof, my head is right on the verge of touching. It drives me nuts.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

JPark wrote:
ImUrOBGYN wrote: Auris is shorter than I realized. Height to me is irrelevant (unless you're referring to ride height/ground clearance). New and newish automobiles have far too much useless headroom. I'm not a short man, over 6ft, and having a foot of useless space above my head is, wait for it, useless. This is to bolster cubic ft of space claims and to give the feeling of greater space to customers. To me, it's space I cannot use, so it's useless. All it does is add weight and drag.

This is a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks". To me, head room is one of the most important features when shopping for a smallish car. I'm 6'2" and absolutely hate my wife's Mazda 3 'cause my head touches the ceiling. My main complaint with the HR-V is that, with the moon roof, my head is right on the verge of touching. It drives me nuts.
Perhaps the tonsure haircut would be a suitable fix for your situation. :D

ImageImageImage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

ImUrOBGYN wrote: Perhaps the tonsure haircut would be a suitable fix for your situation. :D

#sexy
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit