DeClercq's Elantra GT thread

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
DeClercq

DeClercq's Elantra GT thread

Post by DeClercq »

As requested, I'm starting a thread to cover our new 2014 Elantra GT we bought to replace our 2004 Vibe. The Vibe was totaled when another car ran a stop sign and hit the front passenger side front quarter panel. Would have owned it 11 years this August. Only 78k miles on it.
Before:

After: :(

My wife wanted to go the mini-SUV/crossover route, but nothing really fit her criteria that would be in our price range (without getting something used). We test drove a Jetta TDI Sportwagen (she didn't like the way the diesel with DSG drove) and a Buick Encore (way too much $ for what you get).

The Elantra was the only other car we looked at. In it's favor was the low MSRP and excellent warranty.

2014 Hyundai Elantra GT
MSRP: $19750
Floor mats: $125
Cargo net: $50
Cargo tray: $95
First aid kit: $30
Total: $20860
Subtract $1500 rebate, $500 military cash, and $500 competitive car cash. After taxes and all the usual fees the new price as just over $19k. After $8000 insurance check, we only financed a little over $11000.

Day we brought it home:

After window tint:

Initial driving impressions: This is one quick little car. 173 hp 2.0l, 6sp auto. Drives very smooth and quiet (though engine is a little noisy on initial start up). We were driving the other day on a 55 mph road when my wife looks down and was like, crap, we're doing 70!

It is definitely smaller then the Vibe, but back seat space seems to be about equal. We did lose some cargo capacity (lower roof line doesn't help). Not that big of an issue since my Mazda5 is our vacation car and that's got more than enough cargo space for our needs.

It does have an ECO mode which we have yet to try out.

Anyway, I'll update this over time when I start getting MPG figures and what-not. It is rated at 27/33 I believe. This is the first year with the 2.0, last year they used a 1.8 (140-ish hp) which was rated at 38 or so on the hwy. They went to the bigger engine to compete more with the Mazda3 and Focus, etc. that had more powerful engines.
Last edited by DeClercq on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
vibenvy

Re: DeClercq's Elantra GT thread

Post by vibenvy »

Tinted windows look great ;)! I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and opinions on it as you get further along in your ownership.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

External media options: USB and AUX input with 2 12v outlets up front with an additional 12v outlet in the rear cargo area. Radio is also XM capable with 3 months free.
There are no hook-ups inside the rather deep storage cubby below the center armrest.

Sliding armrest!

Interesting tidbit: The Elantra sedan and coupe are manufactured in Alabama. The GT is basically a renamed Hyundai i30, and is built in South Korea.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
kostby

Post by kostby »

Love that sliding armrest! I hope every other car manufacturer licenses/steals that idea!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i do love the elantras. like you said, the engine is pretty quick. i got to drive my mom's '13 for a week, and a couple of things i had to get used to was the 'lower' seat height and lower ceiling. the vibe is lowered, so it sits at the same height as the elantra.

other than that, it's a pretty fun car.

congrats on the purchase!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The price seems very fair! Hyundai generally has mediocre incentives it seems, so I think you did quite good. 8-)

Probably nothing to worry with the noisy engine when cold, I think it's a characteristic of Hyundais in general. :lol: Stick with the very-well-built OEM oil filter if you do your own changes (or provide it if you can should you take it to somewhere other than a dealer) as some aftermarket filters can make startup noises even worse. The direct injection is also very "clicky" from what I've heard, which is perfectly normal.

I like the dash of the GT much better than the regular Elantra. Great looking interior overall. It would be great if they offered this in a wagon version like the old i30 (er, "Elantra Touring.") I think the GT is a far better looking car but the swoopy lines seem like they would take a bite out of cargo space. Not a problem for you guys at all, since you have the 5 as you mentioned.

Anyway, enjoy the ride and keep us posted.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

They do have a wagon version of this car, but seeing has how most Americans are anti-wagon I'm sure we'll never see it here in the U.S. I would have preferred one over the GT.
http://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/i30-tourer

Our salesman warned us about only using Hyundai oil filters. I'm sure I'll just take to them for the oil changes so shouldn't be an issue.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Nice. Now you have shown me a second car to put on my wish list. I would buy a Elantra Touring in a second if they brought that to the US (and moved the steering wheel over to the other side of course). Despite it being ugly, I love my old Kia/Hyundai technology ET and would love to have the new I-30 wagon. I got 37 mpg on the highway the last trip I took with my ET. I'm doing it again to see if I can replicate it. The other car that is on my radar is the upcoming Honda HR-V.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Another observation: the rear bumper and cargo floor are not level. Probably about a 2-inch lift-over (if that's the correct term). No more sliding bags of mulch in and out.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

First tank go 29.6 mpg, which was spot-on with what the avg mpg display in the car reported. This was all on rural and small town roads (lots of stop lights/signs, short trips). No interstate driving. With the Vibe we were lucky to get 25 mpg in the same scenario.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
jake75

Post by jake75 »

How does this compare to the Honda Fit?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

DeClercq wrote:First tank go 29.6 mpg, which was spot-on with what the avg mpg display in the car reported. This was all on rural and small town roads (lots of stop lights/signs, short trips). No interstate driving. With the Vibe we were lucky to get 25 mpg in the same scenario.
Hey DeClercq,
Any chance of an update? Thanks.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Interesting thread as he looked at the same cars as I did before hoping on a Vibe deal

the 2015 GT gets rid of the smile grill which really make the car look top notch

I saw another Vibe like SUV/crossover copy the other day from one of the smaller brands, but it was way overpriced.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Chiadog wrote:
DeClercq wrote:First tank go 29.6 mpg, which was spot-on with what the avg mpg display in the car reported. This was all on rural and small town roads (lots of stop lights/signs, short trips). No interstate driving. With the Vibe we were lucky to get 25 mpg in the same scenario.
Hey DeClercq,
Any chance of an update? Thanks.
According to the car we've averaged 29.2 mpg (11 months and just over 5,500 miles). I have not been manually keeping track of mileage every fill-up to confirm. Same as before, mostly small town driving, maybe 10% highway. We do plan on taking it on a 800 mile road-trip next month, so should get a better idea of the mileage it gets on the interstate. We will have a cargo roof box, so won't be completely accurate.
the 2015 GT gets rid of the smile grill which really make the car look top notch
There have been a couple guys on the Elantra forum who have swapped out the '13-'14 grill with the new one. It is a direct fit. They've been ordering them off of Ebay from S. Korea. Approx ~$150 for the grill + shipping. I like the new grill better, but don't think I could justify spending that much money for something cosmetic to my wife.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring