is the Malibu MAXX the cheapest Vibe replacement?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

is the Malibu MAXX the cheapest Vibe replacement?

Post by Chiadog »

2X engine displacement, 2X torque, might be an interesting car! And they sell cheap. Anyone had any experience with them?
http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimComp ... 60CHC141B0
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/chevr ... sf2Dir=ASC
sideshowalan

Re: is the Malibu MAXX the cheapest Vibe replacement?

Post by sideshowalan »

I have an 05 maxx and it's a very decent car. Gets about 27 MPG compared to my vibes' 34. Cargo space is nearly identical, 6' boards will fit with the back seats folded down flat. The front passenger seat back even folds flat like the 1st gen vibes. The middle seats are on rails which is nice for leg room. Rear disk brakes are standard.

Only problems I've had are with wheel bearings, vanity mirrors that snap easily, bad clock spring. There's a common problem with the headlights where the DRL bulb will burn through the housing and cloud up the lamp. Also the stock rotors / pads were low quality and had to be replaced on all 4 corners by 50K miles. Everything was easily and cheaply repaired by myself.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The only FWD car GM has made worth owning imho, is the GEO, Vibe and maybe a few Saturns all because of Toyota. The Maxx is interesting but has stupid little issues that shouldn't go wrong, as stated above. I was a GM man up to the mid 70s then they produced junk. I'll tell you a story about my buddies 05 Chevy Colorado, you can't pull the front rotors off with out a $$$ special tool. Even the dealer turns them on the truck. FAIL!!!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

As a former 2004 Malibu Maxx owner, I was interested in reading what GM finally decided to do about the myriad of problems surrounding that car. This latest recall campaign seems to be a joke. Regarding the Maxx, GM is going to do a simple fix on the wiring harness to prevent corrosion and thus, prevent brake light failure. Really? I was thinking GM should maybe recall the car due to dirty driver's side windows and have people bring their car in for some Windex and a wipe!! What really needs to be corrected in those cars is the steering column and steering gear which repeatedly failed on those cars. GM may have done me a great favor by ruining my car (unnecessary axle seal replacement) and forcing me to get rid of it after a near death accident. In 2002-3, GM spent over a billion dollars retooling the Malibu Maxx plant in Kansas. After doing all the research, I bought one new back in 2003 and loved the car. While ugly, I feel it was the most versatile car on the road at that time. Had a repair job not been dangerously botched, I'd be in my 10th year of ownership. The Maxx is hard to find on the road only after 10 years. I surmise that most have been crushed for scrap metal. The Vibe aside, which is a Toyota, I will never own a GM product again after owning the Maxx and seeing how lives were put at stake by a company who chose not to correct numerous, well documented, serious issues with failed steering components.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

WOW! Good to know. Thanks CareTaker!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

you are always welcome Chia. What I am waiting to sit and drive is the upcoming Honda HR-V, slightly smaller than the CR-V. Should be out by the end of the year.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-ho ... inter.html
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

The GEO Metro was a Suzuki.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.