BMW series 2 Touring... the Ultimate Vibe replacement?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

BMW series 2 Touring... the Ultimate Vibe replacement?

Post by Chiadog »

Nearly identical to the Gen1 Vibe. Within 1" in all dimensions, Within 1 cubic foot Max cargo volume.
It's supposedly coming to USA in 2016, but unfortunately it also comes with BMW pricing.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw-2-s ... ed/1230920
KITT222

Re: BMW series 2 Touring... the Ultimate Vibe replacement?

Post by KITT222 »

So it takes BMW to come up with something even close to the Vibe, but it's a BMW... Great. It will be based on the new 2015 Mini Cooper, so we know it will have amazing handling. Looks leave something to be desired, but it has one thing a lot of cars these days don't: It looks like a car. Not a blob trying to hide its car-like features, like handles and headlights. I'm now more interested in this 2GT.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Years ago a fellow worker had a BMW. As I remember the routine maintenance was extremely expensive. Maybe it is not that way anymore.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

A family member of mine has an '05 3 series. Its a blast to drive and I love it. But, it's got several problems that require expensive fixes.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

You gotta love them "Chaps" from across the Atlantic. They just taught me something after reading that article. Look closely at this paragraph:

The rear seats slide forwards and back to free up more cabin space or focus on luggage capacity in the boot. The angle of the rear seat backs can also be altered to improve the boot capacity. The boot itself is well shaped, with a wide, tall aperture and useful hooks and tethering points on both sides. The floor can be folded up to reveal an extra compartment that contains organising panels. - See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw-2-s ... w444w.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yup. they don't have a trunk but a BOOT :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I have owned many BMW motorcycles but no cars. (note my name on this forum) Yes, they are more expensive than some cookie cutter vehicles but the quality and attention to detail makes a difference. I am confident the new model will be a good car.
tpollauf wrote: ...they don't have a trunk but a BOOT :lol:
Yes and in the front they have a bonnet instead of a hood. Of course that is UK/British talk, BMW is a German brand.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
kostby

Post by kostby »

It's supposedly coming to USA in 2016, but unfortunately it also comes with BMW pricing.
At the 2014 current exchange rate, the entry level car at £22,995 becomes $38,245, and 'over £30,000' becomes 'over $50,000.'
OUCH! :o

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

kostby wrote:
At the 2014 current exchange rate, the entry level car at £22,995 becomes $38,245, and 'over £30,000' becomes 'over $50,000.'
OUCH! :o
Ignore the exchange rate.
A standard Mini Hatchback in the UK is £15,300.
A standard Mini Hatchback in the US is $19,950.
If we do the exchange rate from Pounds to Dollars the UK Mini is $25,525. Most of that is due to Taxes being included in the actual price.

BMW will price the 2-series active tourer a little more than halfway between the Mini Countryman (starts at 22k) and the BMW 3-series (starts at 31k). I'd bet $27,750.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

jake75 wrote:Years ago a fellow worker had a BMW. As I remember the routine maintenance was extremely expensive. Maybe it is not that way anymore.
Bad news...Tom loves specializing in BMWs because they require a ton of upkeep, which equals $$$ for him. I believe their super-special ATF is like $34 per quart, and we replaced a taillight on some 2012 model BMW. It was $400--just the part--and every light on that darn thing had a computer on it. The headlight bulb was also out, and was I think either $200 or $100--for a single bulb. Whichever price it was, way too high for a bixenon bulb.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The body may be a good Vibe replacement. The rest, maybe not so much IMHO.

In terms of cost of ownership, ease of maintenance, parts and repair expenses, reliability, etc - this thing would never be worthy of a Vibe replacement (at least for me.) I like my $15 oil changes too much. :lol:

That said, I would suspect it probably does offer a far better driving experience than these toasters. ;)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jake75

Post by jake75 »

If I spent a lot of time in my vehicle it might be worth it - but at about 600 miles a month I can put up with something a little less costly. I'd rather spend the difference on a better class of restaurants.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Well,it aint cheap & wont be cheap to maintain....its a BMW.....how can this possibly be a Vibe replacement :lol:

HOWEVER....if BMW decides to build a 4 door hatch. Why hasnt Toyota picked up the need for a Matrix replacement ??? Its pretty much a no brainer, the newly designed Corolla would probably look pretty good as a hatch.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

cptnsolo77 wrote:...HOWEVER....if BMW decides to build a 4 door hatch. Why hasnt Toyota picked up the need for a Matrix replacement ??? Its pretty much a no brainer, the newly designed Corolla would probably look pretty good as a hatch.
2X! The new Corolla wagon already exists in Europe as the Auris Touring Sports. Let's all go to our local Toyota dealer and ask for it!
http://www.caradvice.com.au/238949/toyo ... uro-wagon/
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote: 2X! The new Corolla wagon already exists in Europe as the Auris Touring Sports. Let's all go to our local Toyota dealer and ask for it!
The non-wagon Auris is pretty much dead-on just like a Matrix, except better-looking.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

That looks pretty nice ! W T F is Toyota waiting for ???
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Chiadog wrote:Image
Bring it! That's a beauty. Of course we all know they will not.

Because Uhmurica luvs 'em SUV's. No wagons for us. :?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image