'70s cars decade of disaster or delight?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
ving

'70s cars decade of disaster or delight?

Post by ving »

Maybe that should be Afternoon Delight, if anyone can remember that popular Starline Vocal band song? Lol. Cars from that time can get a bad wrap, but there were some worthwhile things from those days like GM's radial tuned suspension (RTS) and ESC ignition, and some interesting rides. What notable cars can you think of from those years? 8-)

Mazda Rotary

Pacer Pickup
star_deceiver

Re: '70s cars decade of disaster or delight?

Post by star_deceiver »

I remember my '76 Datusn pickup... There was nothing really notable about it apart from the imaginary brakes... it did start every time, though, and would not die no matter how low the oil got. Paid $400 for it... put 40000kms on it... sold it for $400.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The '70s were an interesting time for cars. Some crap, some cult classics. AMC had some great classics from that time. I guess what I can give the pre-malaise era is that the cars were quirky enough to be cool in certain circles.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Had a '71 cutlass, '71 firebird both with 350 4bbl and a '76 cutlass with 262 V8. All great cars and ran until I sold them 180K+ miles on all of them.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Being older than dirt I feel exceptionally qualified to answer this question.
Exhibit A; 60's cars: 61 Chevy 409, 62 Corvair Turbo, 63 Plymouth Sport Fury max Wedge 426, 64 Pontiac GTO, 65 Mustang 2+2 fastback, 66 Oldsmobile Cutlass, 67 Oldsmobile Toronado, 68 Dodge Charger, 69 Chevy Camaro RS, 70 Hemi Cuda.
Exhibit B; 80's cars: 81 Dodge Charger(Omni front wheel drive), Oldsmobile diesel, etc. etc.
The 1980's saved the 70's from being the worst automotive decade ever, in my opinion, and the 60's was the greatest automotive decade ever!.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Early 70's up to '73 were great muscle cars. After that auto makers were struggling with pollution controls, dismal mileage and worse horsepower. Witness the 175 hp 350cu.in. rubber duck tail Corvette. The styling got pretty atrocious too. The 5 mph bumpers alone were an eyesore.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Raven wrote:Early 70's up to '73 were great muscle cars. After that auto makers were struggling with pollution controls, dismal mileage and worse horsepower. Witness the 175 hp 350cu.in. rubber duck tail Corvette. The styling got pretty atrocious too. The 5 mph bumpers alone were an eyesore.
It was the decade when automakers finally had to bend to the will of regulations, and when the finance guys put a stop to the design teams doing what they wanted (namely: build good, sexy cars). GM had enough cash after the '70s to survive the '80s and change to FWD. But the entirety of the '70s they struggled. I'd say AMC won the '70s, but only at the cost of the company.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OK ... I'll throw my 70's muscle cars in here with all you others. Both of these needed restored after only 10 years of life on this planet :( Totally rusted out & running like S H I T. These are two of five GM F-bodies that I restored. Nothing special, just clean looking muscle cars. This 1974 Camaro was a replica, painted graphics, minus the wheels. This 1974 Firebird pretty much the same, had a '75 front nose and an awesome 22" x 38" frameless flush sunroof that I fabricated!. Hand painted "oversized" bird on the hood (no scoop in the hood so I made the bird fatter). Oh, I actually had a full head of hair back then :lol: Drove these for about five years then sold them BOTH for more than what I had in them. Wish I had them both today.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Here's one I saw New Years Day. His Grandma bought it new. All original except for some interior pieces.

THE JUDGE...you can say no more

05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ving

Post by ving »

tpollauf wrote:OK ... I'll throw my 70's muscle cars in here with all you others. Both of these needed restored after only 10 years of life on this planet :( Totally rusted out & running like S H I T. These are two of five GM F-bodies that I restored. Nothing special, just clean looking muscle cars. This 1974 Camaro was a replica, painted graphics, minus the wheels. This 1974 Firebird pretty much the same, had a '75 front nose and an awesome 22" x 38" frameless flush sunroof that I fabricated!. Hand painted "oversized" bird on the hood (no scoop in the hood so I made the bird fatter). Oh, I actually had a full head of hair back then :lol: Drove these for about five years then sold them BOTH for more than what I had in them. Wish I had them both today.

HP may have been down by the mid '70s, but most would have to admit the F body still looked damn sharp, and you can always swap in a hot engine. :twisted: 1973 was the first year you could get a Z/28 with a/c, cos that was the first year the Z/28 got a hydraulic lifter motor.

By mid '70s Porsche 930 was making headlines for its speed and price. 0-60 in under 5 seconds according to Car and Driver.

Porsche 930 Turbo