Crossovers?

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
GTwannabe

Crossovers?

Post by GTwannabe »

Does anyone else not understand the market for crossovers?

I.E. Crossover-Utility-Vehicle (CUV) Vehicles based on car frame/wheelbases that combine SUV with hatch and wagon traits.

Many, such as the Buick Encore, Range Rover Evoque, and Honda Crosstour (which looks like a mutant child between an accord and a bus), have nearly identical storage areas as hatchbacks, say the pontiac vibe, while costing $10-15K more, handeling worse, and looking kinda stupid in general (that might just be me who thinks that). Some come with AWD, but so does our vibe. Few can tow, since they are based on car frames. Yet the market for crossovers has become one of the largest http://www.app.com/viewart/20131111/NJB ... es-booming . WHY????!!!! The only thing these cars have going for them is a high and upright seating position, which is annoying to everyone else on the road.

When the Subaru Baja came out in early 2000 it tanked, despite being able to do everything a crossover does, but better.

Is it just me that is so confused by this occurence?
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
jake75

Re: Crossovers?

Post by jake75 »

I understand the market for crossovers like the Forrester, CRV, Rav 4 etc. If I had only one motor vehicle, it wouldn't be a $20,000+ Vibe-like vehicle. For about the same money you can get a more comfortable small crossover. I probably would not have bought either my 2003 or 2009 Vibes without the generous incentives - paid $14,718 new out the door for the 2003, and $13,154 new for the 2009. We currently also have a 2007 SWB T&C that we use for long trips. Got that one at a fire sale price too - little demand for the SWB and it had been on the dealer lot for 6 months. Unfortunately for consumers with the restructuring of the auto manufacturers we may never see these super bargains again - at least not in my lifetime.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Unfortunately for consumers with the restructuring of the auto manufacturers we may never see these super bargains again - at least not in my lifetime.
Those incentives were given just so automakers could shift product to make up for the fact that they weren't marketed or otherwise sell-able. That's what really helped bring them down was massive incentives. As a result, GM lost a bundle on the Vibe.

I really don't like crossovers, and am just awaiting the day that they go the way of the SUV. Their drivers are too enamored in their own worlds to pay attention to driving, for one. I cannot count the number of times one of them was on my rear, and I look back to see a tiny woman barely able to see over the wheel driving, and on her cell phone. They handle terribly enough that it would be nearly impossible to escape from a crash-scenario with one. From a driver, and enthusiasts, perspective they are the opposite of anything worth owning. All people want is the SUV feel without an SUV. Solution: buy a CAR. Or hatchback, or wagon. Or maybe a minivan. Their AWD systems are probably less effective than the ones in the Vibe because they weigh so much more, and nobody driving them bothers with snow tires. As a result, AWD crossovers are probably one of the worst things to be around in the snow, mostly thanks to their drivers which probably think they're invincible.

I mostly have just a pet-peeve against them. There's nothing about them that I like. Compact SUVs need to come back. We have the tech to make them good enough to compete, but I guess they're too lucrative for the manufacturer.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Uh Oh, Frod is getting into the act. This just came up when I checked the News on Yahoo today. Everyone is getting on board:
http://autos.yahoo.com/photos/2015-linc ... slideshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
jake75

Post by jake75 »

KITT222 wrote:

I mostly have just a pet-peeve against them. There's nothing about them that I like. Compact SUVs need to come back. We have the tech to make them good enough to compete, but I guess they're too lucrative for the manufacturer.
Assume you mean the cross overs are too lucrative for the manufacturer vs. compact SUV's.
But - What is the difference between a compact SUV and a cross over? Or a station wagon and a hatch back?

I'd get rid of my Vibe tomorrow and get a Forrester or Rav-4 but no more time than I spend driving even though I have the $$$ to do it the expense isn't worth it.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Derf wrote:Uh Oh, Frod is getting into the act. This just came up when I checked the News on Yahoo today. Everyone is getting on board:
http://autos.yahoo.com/photos/2015-linc ... slideshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my lifetime I owned a 1957 Lincoln, and a 1971 Lincoln. The 1971 was a piece of junk. Not sure I have forgiven them for that one.
For the price they will probably want for that new compact SUV I think I could get a bigger bang for the buck elsewhere.
I will not let the fact that I own a lot Ford stock influence me either. I also have a lot of Chase stock but I don't care to deal with those people either.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

jake75 wrote: Assume you mean the cross overs are too lucrative for the manufacturer vs. compact SUV's.
But - What is the difference between a compact SUV and a cross over? Or a station wagon and a hatch back?

I'd get rid of my Vibe tomorrow and get a Forrester or Rav-4 but no more time than I spend driving even though I have the $$$ to do it the expense isn't worth it.
Yes, well... crossovers are lucrative no matter what.

Compact SUV vs. Crossover - Think Trailblazer vs. Equinox. Trailblazer was a proper body-on-frame vehicle, RWD, proper 4wd system... Equinox is FWD, car based, and has is FWD until it slips, then the rear wheels engage.

Wagon vs hatch - length. Think Golf vs Jetta Sportwagon. Golf has tiny trunk compared to the Sportwagon. In some places they have a hatch version, and a wagon version, and the wagon comes with a third row seat. Or Cruze hatch vs Cruze wagon. One is a stylish liftback, the other is a proper wagon.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I think crossovers are pretty cool. I love the Mazda CX5. Isnt the Vibe is somewhat a variation of a compact station wagon ? Lets see....4 doors, folding rear seats & a hatch area. So the Vibe is a bit of a "crossover" itself. Dont you think ? ? ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Yeh - that's what I think.