2006-2011 Hyundai corrosion recall.

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Chiadog

2006-2011 Hyundai corrosion recall.

Post by Chiadog »

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... #src=10065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColonelPanic

Re: 2006-2011 Hyundai corrosion recall.

Post by ColonelPanic »

A detached rear control arm, says NHTSA, “may suddenly change the rear wheel alignment, affecting the handling of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
LOL, love the legalese. Just like an inadvertent air bag deployment on the Vibe/Matrix "may startle the driver" or whatever it was they said.

I like Hyundai but geez... They've been battling undercarriage corrosion for years and still haven't figured it out. The prior generation Sonata and Santa Fe were also recalled for some pretty nasty subframe rot up front. Brake light switches and cancer of the subframes, two things Hyundai can't seem to get under control. ;)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

You'd think they'd have figured this out by now. My '03 Santa Fe had the front subframe replaced under the recall. The rear trailing arms were inspected and didn't need replaced, they just drilled some holes in them and filled them with some waxy goop. I didn't have it much longer after that...
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

regarding "figuring it out," if Hyundai had such a problem with undercarriage rot, shouldn't this recall be for more than just two models?? What is so special/different about these two models?
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Caretaker wrote:What is so special/different about these two models?
They happened to rot in places where it caused sufficient safety issues to force a recall. For every recall there's a ton more issues that you just have to live with or fix yourself because the NHTSA doesn't deem it a safety issue.
Image  Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Caretaker wrote: if Hyundai had such a problem with undercarriage rot, shouldn't this recall be for more than just two models?? What is so special/different about these two models?
Good question! Does anyone here know if the 2012 and newer Elantra and Accent have the same flawed crossmember design as the Sonata and Azera? :?
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

I forgot I had these. Pictures of rust on the front subframe and after it was replaced. I could stick a screwdriver all though the the other side. If it had gotten much worse the suspension mount could've come free.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

HOLY FIAT, Batman, That is Scarry!