Toyota to build sub FR-S RWD sports car

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
SeattleJeremy

Toyota to build sub FR-S RWD sports car

Post by SeattleJeremy »

http://www.caradvice.com.au/245716/toyo ... ports-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toyota is studying the possibility of a smaller rear-wheel drive sports car to sit below the Toyota 86 as part of its three sports car family.

Speaking to CarAdvice at the one-year anniversary event of the Toyota 86 in Canberra, Tatsuya Tada, the program’s chief engineer and the man in charge of Toyota’s sports car division, confirmed work on the smaller and larger sports car has already started.

“Akio Toyoda always says to me, Toyota sports car [family] should be three sports car brothers. 86 is in the middle.” Tada said.

According to Tada, Akio Toyoda, Toyota’s CEO and president, is in favour of both models going into production but neither has yet got the official green light. Tada has been put in charge of the Toyota Supra resurrection project while another chief engineer has taken the smaller sports car project.

Speculating about potential names, such as Toyota MR2 or Celica, Tada said it’s still far too early but was adamant the smaller sports car will still be on an all-new rear-wheel drive platform.

“Yes it is rear-wheel drive and that’s Toyota’s strong position – Toyota sports car must be rear-wheel drive.” Tada said.
Toyota and Subaru spent a ton of money developing the GT-86/FR-S/BRZ triplets. Which is based on a modified Impreza platform. There is no way they would actually develop an entirely new smaller RWD car from scratch. So I think it's likely they'd take an existing small car, and do the Pontiac Fiero treatment to it. Put the engine in the back, then call it an MR2.
In 2008 Toyota released the "Aygo Crazy" concept ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Ayg ... 22_concept" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). "Toyota claims the Aygo Crazy cost GB£100,000 to build."
Sounds like a cheap way to make another sports car. It's a formula Renault use for a while with the "Clio V6 Renault Sport".
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Chiadog

Re: Toyota to build sub FR-S RWD sports car

Post by Chiadog »

Toyota can pull this off without breaking a sweat! I hope they stick to a very simple 2 seat hatchback design, simple straight dash with radio only, manual steering, etc. to keep the cost low. It doesn't have to be physically smaller than the FR-S. But they absolutely must keep the designers of the FR-S and Scion tC as far away as possible (IMHO).